Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

beaker

Reaction score
As LONG as

1) palisades and others dont have to cancel lines
2) the performers never get seperated with the puppets
3) the Muppets dont get watered down

its all gravy with me!

Reaction score
Baby Animal said:
The only way this will be any good is if Comcast and Steve Jobs are successful in getting Eisner out as CEO. And even then, it won't be good.

I totally agree. Eisner needs to go. I am not to thrilled with them buying the Muppets. What is wrong with the Henson's???? Didn't they just buy them back????? I am totally disappointed and the only way I will be happy about this is If and WHEN Eisner is thrown out on his rear....

Avalon

Reaction score
Personally, I have no problem with this deal. As the front page says, this is the culmination of the deal that Jim Henson started 15 years ago. With this deal in place, they can now focus on the creative side of the Muppets, and not have to worry about the marketing aspect and other business properties.

The only thing that suprised me was that Fraggle Rock wasn't included in the deal with the rest of the Muppets.

Zondra

Reaction score
Walt Disney's Muppets...that makes me sick just thinking about it...

I'm restating it over and over in my head...

I mean, I know they're not going to change it or anything but...

Yuck...

*shakes head solemnly*

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I posted a few blurbs about this in my blog. For those not in the know, I included links to a lot of the stories here on MC about the history of Disney/Henson, which goes back quite a way.

Do we know if "The Muppets" includes non-classic Muppet properties like Fraggle Rock, Donna's Day, Labyrinth, etc.? The way they have reported this it sounds like it doesn't.

Sir Didymus

Reaction score
Walt Disney's Muppets:

Will they really be called THAT???????????

OH, I just wanna Kick something!!!!! :frown:(((%$&*(%$##@!~%$$^^%^%%&*%$##%^^

Didymus

Luke

Reaction score
Buck-Beaver said:
Do we know if "The Muppets" includes non-classic Muppet properties like Fraggle Rock, Donna's Day, Labyrinth, etc.? The way they have reported this it sounds like it doesn't.
It only includes "Classic Muppets", "Muppet Babies" and "Bear In The Big Blue House". It includes the past TV/Film programming for only those properties. I'm not sure about "Muppets Tonight" or "Kermits Swamp Years" but i would think it includes them.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Doesn't this say they are included?

The Jim Henson Company, which was purchased by the Henson family in July 2003 from the German media company EM.TV, will retain all other assets of the company including Jim Henson's Creature Shop and ownership and rights to all other characters and entertainment properties in The Jim Henson Company's extensive film and television library, including Fraggle Rock, Farscape, Dark Crystal, Labyrinth, Storyteller, The Hoobs, and various other properties. The Jim Henson Company will also actively pursue partnerships and other strategic arrangements to exploit these and other existing and new properties and to build their value over the long term.

Luke

Reaction score
No it means they are NOT included. The Henson Company will keep them and can do what they like with them. The problem with this is that aside from Farscape, apart from programme sales there is an even less chance now of them actually being able to do anything with them. Most tragically Fraggle Rock is now completely split from The Muppets.