Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crazy ernie

Reaction score
I'm going to be optimistic here, but since Eisner is most likely leaving soon, maybe his evil grip won't squeeze the life out of the Muppets. We just need to be a bit optimistic and hey, maybe if we can really dream, Brian will become the new head of Disney when Eisner is thrown off a cliff.

Jennifer12

Reaction score
First Barbie and Ken break up and now this....

jediX said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I can't believe it. I will not accept that the company that disgusts me the most now owns one of the things I love the most.
Cutting out Sam quote for space.....
[
I have nothing more to say. This is indeed a dark day.

Jedix, I agree with you completely. I too, despise Disney. I just hope by some stretch of the imagination that this was a good decision. I can understand why they look good to Henson. The market is now controlled by the giants and if they want their product out there, they have to hop in bed with the devil, but what will be the ultimate cost?

This also makes me wonder about the level of solidarity among the Henson siblings. I wonder if there wasn't a lot of disagreement over doing this. I can certainly understand that running a company is difficult, but I thought they were upset about pieces of the company being sold of by EMTV. Now they're selling off another piece? I don't get it.

Now that Disney owns the rights, what will happen to websites like this one? Remember when WB got ***** about the Buffy websites?

Jennifer

leliebel

Reaction score
tears sprung in my eyes when I read this, I don't know why...

I'm going to bed and think about it in the morning, a lot.

Klonoa

Reaction score
I'm going to try to think optimistically too! Disney can't be all bad (but they're not all good either)

Although a lack of knowledge on my part helps me think that way. Maybe if I only knew better...

That's a cool Animal Crossing avatar, crazy ernie.

--Klonoa

King Prawn

Reaction score
Kill me, just kill me now :cry:

I expressed by anger over at the Palisades board before.

I hate this, Disney is destroying themselves, do they really have to take the Muppets down with them?

What were the Henson Kids thinking, sure it'll help the Muppets in a long run but the Muppets are now just gonna become anothe Pokemon, where crap followed by crap followed by crap is released, Disney will squeeze evey penny they can out of this and destroy the Muppet's.

What really gets to me is that this is the worse time to be negotiating with Disney, had they waited a few months i'd have understood or had the deal been made months ago, which it probably was but this is just stupid.

I know that if my father passed onto me a brand like the Muppets I would certainly not sell it over to Disney. I gave up on Disney a long time ago when I realised what they were doing to Walts original classics I mean Lady & The Tramp 2, Cinderella 2 etc... come on give me a break, I swear if we ever get The Muppet Movie 2 i'll not only give up on Disney (which I already have unless Eisner gets kicked out) but i'll also give up on the Muppet's.

I know i'm getting a little carried away here but it really gets me mad to think that the Muppets might be what saves Eisner and not only that but that's what they're going to be used as, I can see it now, Eisner: "We here at what used to be Disney are very pround to have captured the Muppet's in are family of greed, hopefully this new deal will not only benefit both companies but also me, mostly me, hopefully I can use this as something I have done good for Disney".

I hate this so much, hopefully i'll be proven wrong in the upcoming months but I seriously doubt we'll get anything we truly want out of this. Disney have wanted the Muppet babies to add them to the Playhouse Disney Channel for a long time and what really gets to me is that now not only are FR, Muppets & SS seperated but who here really believes we'll still see Kermit on SS?

Kermit & Mickey have no buisness together, Gonzo has no buisness showing up on that awful show House of Mouse.

Sorry I can't be more positive, I wish I could say this is great, I wish I could say that now we can get The Muppet's @ WDW on DVD but if we do get it I doubt they're going to go all the way out on an excellent release. Disney's motto seems to be "USe what you can to make money and if you can get away with it better yet".

This is terrible, it's a sad day for Muppet fans. If Disney really is frozen I think nows the perfect time to defrost him.

CrazyHarry

Reaction score
IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS SACRED AND FOAMY, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I never liked the idea of Moustopholes being connected to the Muppets, but this is the WORST arrangement imaginable. For those of you saying "We'll have new Muppet TV shows and movies, so it's worth it," I say **backhand**. I would be VERY surprised if anything produced by this arrangement was true to the Muppets spirit.

February 17, 2004 - The Day The Magic Died
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Amazing Mumford

Reaction score
Well, like a few others, I'm going to play the optimist here. I agree that some sort of parntership would have been much better (and it's too bad the Fraggles weren't included), but at least the Muppets will have new opportunities.

Let's face it--the Muppets with the Jim Henson company were going to be limited to (maybe) an occasional TV movie and commercials for a LONG time, maybe 5+ years. Now, they are owned by one of the biggest media companies in the world with superior marketing and resources.

So, we--as Muppet fans--get to reap the benefits of new Muppet products and productions as well as the potential for re-release of old Muppet programs. Also, this will expose MANY new people to the Muppet characters-which is not a bad thing at all.

CrazyHarry

Reaction score
Amazing Mumford said:
...this will expose MANY new people to the Muppet characters-which is not a bad thing at all.
Unless they destroy the Muppets soul and turn them into mindless marketting tools **coughElmocough**

King Prawn

Reaction score
The thing I don't like is that now the Muppets belong to Disney, they're not partnered and they have not been purchased along with the whole company which in my eye's make the Muppets seem just like Kim Possible, Lizzie Mcguire, Pooh etc... and I hate the way Disney treats all this stuff.