Henson sells Muppets to Disney

What do you think of Disney buying the Muppets and Bear?

• It's great! Disney can keep the Muppets alive and visible.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • It's awful! The Muppets will go downhill and quality will suffer.

Votes: 87 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Movies205

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one mention this on the front page but Disney is on the verge of MAJOR CHANGES!!! Now I have mix feelings to this but in the end, saddly this was the best course of action. I say this because I have no faith in the Henson children they lacked what there father had apparently and that was VISION. There is a chance that Roy Disney will be successful in rooting out Micheal Eisner and we'll get a whole new creative team and we'll see a whole new AGE of disney.We might not...

Now onto the Muppets. If they had no sold them, where would they have gone? Nope this is the best way :frown: THe best case scenario is this, Disney lets JHC produce the shows and Disney markets & distributes it, the worst case scenario is disney whores them out and we don't see a good quality product ever again :frown:

Erine81981

Reaction score
Aaron said:
not gonna happen

I agree w/ Aaron here. Not to say since were friends. I have to sick by my Buddy. I sorry but if Brain lets it happens then well oh well. I'm sorry if everyone here is in some bad mood but if u don't sick together then well I guess its not going to go work and it will go down the drain. But I'm sicking w/ the Muppet and thats it. I don't think Disney could stop or any other things that have already been done by Muppets. I think its funny that everyone here is out of control. LOL :big_grin:

*laughs while walking out of the room* WHAT A BUNCH OF NUTS!!! :excited:

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
OK, I've had some time to think. So Henson has sold THE Muppets, characters that look like the Muppets (Muppet Babies), and BITBBH. And they've dissected the library and sold the "Muppet" parts of it to Disney?

I'll be effing darned. Man, I would love for the whole Henson character family and library to stay together (wondered about this a year ago after Valentine dropped out), but the Muppets and "Bear" ain't a bad deal. They're the big ones. Hmm...after all these years.

I guess Eisner felt the heat from Comcast.

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Whoa! I'm out of it for a little while to go to choir, and the world turns upside down!

I don't have much time to write at the moment, but getting beyond the extreme shock, I'm going to remain optimistic. At the very least, the Muppets will get new exposure and break free of the "nostalgia" trap. New Muppet productions is fine by me! What I truly hope is that the Muppet people retain their creative freedom, so that they can stay true to the heart that has made them endure for so long. Pixar, after all, stayed very independent (though they were never actually owned by Disney). Who knows--maybe the Muppets can bring the creativity, warmth, and heart back to the Disney corporation. I, personally, have enjoyed recent Disney fare (besides cheapie sequels), so maybe this is a good sign that both companies can get back on track...

There is always hope...

jediX

Reaction score
erine said:
*laughs while walking out of the room* WHAT A BUNCH OF NUTS!!!
Enough.

I fear for the future of my beloved Muppets. I even fear for the future of Muppet Central. Case and point, http://snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.htm . If they'll do that to day care centers, I don't even want to know the wrath that might spawn forth regarding Muppet sites. Good luck, Phil.

With garbage sequels like Lady and the Tramp 2, Cinderella 2, and Peter Pan 2, I fear for what they have in mind with their new "prize". I look at my "(c) Henson" on Muppet things with pride. I will feel sick when I see "(c) Disney" on them. I'm not giving up on Muppets -- I just don't want to EVER see Muppets become pawns of Disney.

Luke

Reaction score
BoyRaisin2 said:
OK, I've had some time to think. So Henson has sold THE Muppets, characters that look like the Muppets (Muppet Babies), and BITBBH. And they've dissected the library and sold the "Muppet" parts of it to Disney?
Yup, but the Muppeteers (as far as we know) and the Puppet Workshops are still retained by Henson so it isn't the clean cut it first seems. We also don't know whether Disney HAVE to employ Henson to work on Muppet projects or if they are just available to work on them if thats who Disney decide to go to.

It is soooo wierd, i mean who gets to look after the puppets? I'd love to know the answer to that one. I guess they'll have to hire the Henson Company to look after them and maintain them or something.

dmx10101

Reaction score
Wow this get announced and all heck breaks loose here, We blew out our old record of users on at the same time. "Most users ever online was 565, Today at 07:50 PM.", previously it was like 366 from sometime last year.

dmx10101

Reaction score
"Disney plans to make new television shows, video games, movies and other products with the existing characters as well as develop new characters in the coming years.

"We have been very impressed by how the Disney company treats its own characters," said Lisa Henson. "We feel if the Muppets are treated with as much care in the long term as Walt Disney's characters are, we will have properly served the legacy."

The agreement includes a four-year consulting arrangement with The Jim Henson Co. to provide strategic advice on the use of the characters and a three-year production deal to develop movies, television shows and other projects using the characters."

Read the full article here from the associated press.

Luke

Reaction score
New article at the New York Times - says nothing new but here it is :-
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/18/business/media/18muppet.html

Y'know i hope this won't mean the return of Jim Hill to Muppet Central. I don't think i can take that, i got headaches the last time. He'd probably say that "sources" saw Michael Eisner reading a book on hypnotism and this must be how he got Brian to sell. Either that or he got a message in his "Captain Alphabet" cereal!

:embarrassed:

alorindanya

Reaction score
I don't have time to read over everyone's responses, but all I have to say is this.

Michael Eisner IS NOT DISNEY. Okay. Hate Michael Eisner, but don't hate the company. The Company is dedicated to creating entertainment and magic for children of all ages.

I work for Disney for Christ's Sake. I LOVE MY COMPANY! I love the magic that Disney gives people's hearts. The Muppets do the same. What a great marriage.

Do not base your like or dislike of this merger based on BUSINESS. Base it on the magic of a child's heart. Disney, I believe, can take the Muppets farther than any other BUSINESS/BRAND NAME could have ever tried.