Heyyyyyyyy Herbie Babyyyyy........

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Exactly how long was Herbert Birdsfoot on the show? Was it from 1970-1973. That's what Iv'e always thought, but mabye i'm wrong.

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, I think it was shorter than that. I think he was only on for Seasons 2 and 3.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
I think there might have been some sketches made with Herbert in 1973. On some of my Casette tapes some of the songs he was in have that date on them.

Splurge

Reaction score
Jerry once wrote about Herbert in another thread (it isn't up anymore, sorry) in which he took a liking to the character, but Jim and Frank felt differently. Kind of a "this just isn't working" feeling. That's show business, whataya-gonna-do?

Also, if I understand the story correctly, Herbert was meant to be a replacement for Kermit the Frog, who was to be phased out in the second season. No new skits were shot with Kermit then, so he was a new Muppet to give lectures and be the fall guy for Grover and Cookie Monster and whoever else was around.

The Time Magazine article from 1970 (Big Bird on the cover) spoke of Kermit being tuned out. Similar reporting was in Look Magazine. But, as history will show, reports of the frog's death were greatly exaggerated. As a result, Herbert was needed less and used less, though his skits did show up in reruns.

Does this help?

PS. If someone like a Secret Squirrel is looking in, and my facts were not accurate, feel free to add any corrections.

Erine81981

Reaction score
I think they should bring him back. U know w/ Kermit not around why not. I can't ever think of good things to write in a letter but I'm going to get my sis to help me send a letter to SS and w/ a lot of questions. If there is anyone out there that can't think of stuff to say as in a long letter but have lots of questions. Write them down and I'll make a letter out of everyones questions and send it to SS. Would everyone do that for me?

jasontarkus

Reaction score
I don't think Herb will be back - he's one of my favourite muppets from the past - but he's too conservative to work along side the likes of Elmo.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Cookie, Ernie, Bert and Grover are still on the show as well as Big Bird, Herry, Oscar and lots of others that could be w/ Herb. I think when I write to SS and say how much Herb is being missed they might take that as a well lets see what we can do. What about a Global Grover and Herb do a skit on which ever county Grover diecdes to do. U know they could if they wanted to.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
Herbert must have been there until 1973 because he was in Ernie and Bert's apartment in the sketch when Ernie throws Bert a surprize party and by the looks of Bert, that was definitley in 1973, plus at the begging Bert was singing the La La La song which is from 1973. Also there is a picture at Hooperfan's site that shows Big Bird coming around the corner with Snuffy and Herb is one of the muppets who is facing the other way. And Snuffy has his white eyes, and his eyes were yellow during the 1971-1972 season.

ssetta

Reaction score
Actually, the surprise party and the La La La song are both from Season 3. So maybe Herb was there until Season 4.

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
ssetta said:
Actually, the surprise party and the La La La song are both from Season 3. So maybe Herb was there until Season 4.
On some of the cassette tapes and CD's I have the La La La song says copyright 1973. Also Snuffy's eyes were yellow in season 3 and didn't turn white until season 4 and on Hooperfan's site there is a picture of the white eyed Snuffy with Herbert in it.