Heyyyyyyyy Herbie Babyyyyy........

ssetta

Reaction score
It's possible that it wasn't copyrighted until 1973. But it was on the very first Alphabet Album, which has a copyright date of 1971. So I don't know about that.

But anyway, it's very interesting to know that Herbert Birdsfoot was originally meant to be a main character, and now, practically nobody's ever heard of him. Nobody outside of Muppet Central, that is. :smile:

Don_Music_2004

Reaction score
ssetta said:
It's possible that it wasn't copyrighted until 1973. But it was on the very first Alphabet Album, which has a copyright date of 1971. So I don't know about that.

But anyway, it's very interesting to know that Herbert Birdsfoot was originally meant to be a main character, and now, practically nobody's ever heard of him. Nobody outside of Muppet Central, that is. :smile:
Yeah I can't believe how many songs he was in in all those old Albums then he just dissapeared. His last appearance was in season 30.

Erine81981

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
Yeah I can't believe how many songs he was in in all those old Albums then he just dissapeared. His last appearance was in season 30.
As in a rerun of one of his segments from the old days or he was in a new segment in that season 30?

Splurge

Reaction score
Erine81981 said:
As in a rerun of one of his segments from the old days or he was in a new segment in that season 30?
I could be mistaken, but from what I gather, there hasn't been a new segment with Herbert written for about 30 years. (Whoa!)

I wish I could relocate the post, but Jerry had written that although he liked the character, Jim and Frank didn't feel nearly the same way. So he was most likely phased out early on, while sketches with him were rerun.

Again, I could be wrong.

drmusic_99

Reaction score
Don_Music_2004 said:
http://members.tripod.com?~hooperfan/Snuffya.jpg

Go there, that proves that Herbert Birdsfoot was still around in Season 4. That photo is obviously from Season 4 by the look of Big Bird and Snuffy also by the way Maria looks, her hair was straighter in season 3.
First of all, let me correct your link:

http://members.tripod.com/~hooperfan/Snuffya.jpg

Secondly, might I suggest that while it was decided to no longer use Herbert in a starring role, they may have continued to use him in the following months in sort of an "Anything Muppet" role (like in the surprise party sketch or in photo shoots.)