"His or Her", "His", or "Their"?

MWoO

Reaction score
It's for people who get easily offened. If you always say "him" you will get the person who says "well why does it have to be a him? Why can't t be a her?" Normally, these people should be smacked and told to shut up so you may continue with what you are saying. Sadly, people on't do that o now we have "him or her" to make some people feel bette.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
MWoO said:
It's for people who get easily offened. If you always say "him" you will get the person who says "well why does it have to be a him? Why can't t be a her?" Normally, these people should be smacked and told to shut up so you may continue with what you are saying. Sadly, people on't do that o now we have "him or her" to make some people feel bette.
MWoO, I just wanted to thank you because FINALLY someone has explained to me this whole being "politically correct" thing is all about.

MWoO

Reaction score
I just wish my key board was't so old as it left out like 15 lettersfrom that post.

Sgt Floyd

Reaction score
MWoO said:
Someone said that to my teacher once:crazy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
I do say "their" sometimes, though I know it's not correct. It makes no sense to me to say "his" when you might be talking about a woman.

Skye

Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't bother me if someone says "his" either, though I've never actually heard anyone say that before. I pretty much always say "their" just because I'm so used to hearing it, so I don't really think about it. I don't remember what I was actually taught about this, though, haha.

MWoO

Reaction score
heralde said:
I do say "their" sometimes, though I know it's not correct. It makes no sense to me to say "his" when you might be talking about a woman.
The sense is you have to pick one. You have to pick a singular. If you are really concerned about being pc, say one. Though that doesn't always work, it does most of the time, I think.

Just pick one and stick to it. Say hers, say his, say one's, just don't say their as it's wrong.

Teheheman

Reaction score
I usually say it in the context of the stuff being plural. Their is just easier on me because if I say here's hers stuff, I look like an idiot. I just say their because it makes more sense. I one time asked this couple 'How are you guys doing?' and this lady gave me the weirdest look, she said "Did you just say you guys?" and telling me that she wasn't a guy, that I should have said how are you 2 doing? or how are you doing or something like that. But, as far as personal preference, I don't care one way or the other.

Daniel

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Teheheman said:
I one time asked this couple 'How are you guys doing?' and this lady gave me the weirdest look, she said "Did you just say you guys?" and telling me that she wasn't a guy, that I should have said how are you 2 doing? or how are you doing or something like that. But, as far as personal preference, I don't care one way or the other.

Daniel
Ugh, well you can't please everybody! I personally don't mind hearing "you guys".

It just bothers me that saying "his" is the standard in all the textbooks etc. While saying "her" is wrong because the person's not female.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Their is really only suppost to be used in the plural form, meaning more then one. If you talking and man, you say his, if it's a woman, you use her. It you're talking about no gender in spicific, you say his or her. I admit I've used their to mean one person before.

You're really suppost to say May I, But I say can I, But somtimes you get a response back of "I don't know, Can you?":big_grin: