Hoots the Owl's eyes!

anytimepally

Reaction score
I agree, it's a little too perfect and sanitary now.
I agree.. I was watching yesterday and the newer "pat your head, rub your tummy" came on, and Ernie's hair was strange looking.. it's like they tried to retain the illusion of messed up hair without it actually being messed up.. I miss old Ernie's crazy hair :stick_out_tongue:

SSLFan

Reaction score
I agree.. I was watching yesterday and the newer "pat your head, rub your tummy" came on, and Ernie's hair was strange looking.. it's like they tried to retain the illusion of messed up hair without it actually being messed up.. I miss old Ernie's crazy hair :stick_out_tongue:
Me too!:cry:

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I agree, it's a little too perfect and sanitary now.
I liked it that way, it made the street seem more eco-friendly... I mean the world is so full of so much trash and litter and all that contribute to poor ecosystems; then here comes (the newer) Sesame Street: so clean and spotless... I mean would you rather live in an area that's clean and sanitary, or an area that's trashy and filthy?

On another note though: hasn't anybody besides me and William noticed that the street is slowly starting to look a little more grundgier lately? The mess of leaves everywhere, the grease stains on the sidewalk around Oscar's can and on the bottom of Big Bird's doors, the occasional scraps of paper on the ground?

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Oh no I'm not saying pollution and trash are a good thing. I'm talking more about the characters. I don't buy into the idea that people (or monsters etc) have to look all perfect and colorful all the time. People don't have to look nice to be nice. And just because someone looks friendly, doesn't mean they are. Ugly can be beautiful too; Sesame Street has always supported this message.

However, while we're on the subject of how the street looks. Again, I'm not saying pollution is a positive attribute. But I think it was better when SS looked a bit more realistic, lived in. There were older skits where the characters learned how important it was to pick up trash. That's something for kids to learn in their own world.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I like the older eye's on hoot's better. There's just something warmer about them to me! But I do like the new ones. Just like the old ones better.

I liked it that way, it made the street seem more eco-friendly... I mean the world is so full of so much trash and litter and all that contribute to poor ecosystems; then here comes (the newer) Sesame Street: so clean and spotless... I mean would you rather live in an area that's clean and sanitary, or an area that's trashy and filthy?
Maybe it's just a reflection or how they has 'Cleaned up their act' over the years.:smirk:

I noticed that change to Hoots in the last year or so too! I personally think the original is better looking (muppety but realistic too).

Does it seem like this has happened to all the characters in the last few years? Take for instance Big Bird, Ernie, Bert (to name a few) whose designs have been tweaked to a 'geometric shape' which doesn't retain their character's quirky attitudes as well as a more natural puppet from, say, 20 years ago.

Even the set design of 123, Hooper's, the Alcove, etc. are cleaner. What happened to the welcoming filth that made a home for so many of us over the last 38 years? I don't mean to sound like a :grouchy: , but it' sad that Sesame Street seems to be declining from its so-called former glory.
Welcome to the club!:smile:

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
On another note though: hasn't anybody besides me and William noticed that the street is slowly starting to look a little more grundgier lately? The mess of leaves everywhere, the grease stains on the sidewalk around Oscar's can and on the bottom of Big Bird's doors, the occasional scraps of paper on the ground?
By the way. Have you noticed a trend that the street is slowly getting more brick over the years. First Hooper's store, and now the Garage/veterinarian's office. Just kinda noticed.:smirk:

MWoO

Reaction score

The original idea was to have the street look real. No street in NYC is squeaky clean. I don't see the point of showing kids a squeaky clean street when trying to relate to them because when they walk outside they are still on a run down street. I know hwen i grew up my street wasn't perfect at all. Besides, how can you teach kids to clean up their street if its already clean?

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You know, new york City has really cleaned up it's act over the years sense the show started. So maybe they have just been cleaning up as Nee Your City has. But who knows?

Caroll, comments in his book about how much he didn't like new your because of how dirty it used to be when he started the show, But it is a lot nicer now, and I think he likes it better than he used to.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
By the way. Have you noticed a trend that the street is slowly getting more brick over the years. First Hooper's store, and now the Garage/veterinarian's office. Just kinda noticed.:smirk:
Um, Hooper's Store is simply painted orange.