Horns horns horns

ElijahTheSane

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm trying to build horns for a small puppet going for something that spirals around... i guess unicorn style would be the best way to discribe it, I can get what i'm going for with sculpty, but it is waaay too heavy, anyone know a good way to go about building it

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Is it too aweful for me to say this thread sounds a little "h0rny"? :embarrassed:

Sorry, bad I know.

Um, I'd check craft stores. You could maybe find some ornamental thing made out of resin for this, or get a styrofoam cone and carve a spiral into it. Otherwise you can get some block foam at an apholstry place and carve spiraled horns out of that. Experiment with ridged tubing maybe. Perhaps get some foam Backer Rod at a hardware store and twist some around a straight piece. This is a tough one.

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You can cut a triangle out and then glue two edges together to make a horn. You'll have to experiment to get the right shape you want. Once the foam is glued together you can paint it with latex (available at any art supply store). I find several thin coats is better than one or two thick ones. Once several layers of latex is applied you can paint it and it will have a shiny look to it.

You could also just cover the foam horn in plastic or even paint the foam directly.

Puppetplanet

Reaction score
Hmmm, how about a home made foam tube with a wire insert, sprial it and then put a handmade cone on one end for the "point"? You can apply color with floral spray paint.

Thats what I'd experiment with anyway. :confused:

ElijahTheSane

Reaction score
thanks guys you were alot a help, i ended up using a metal wire and bending it in the curve i wanted then i made a long triangle of foam and wrapped it around the wire, and tucked in tip in side of itself (lots of hot glue to keep it to stay together) then just some fine tuneing with the ol' scisors, and i actually had some latex on hand, i wasn't thinking about it but it is actually a good way to make it look like it is made from bone, thanks again everyone

ElijahTheSane

Reaction score
hello everyone here's an update pic

http://www.elijahatkins.com/wip/horn.jpg
the hair is a little long to see all of the horn, but I still need to paint the it. aside from being armless, this guy is pretty much done. the eye is moveable, but the setup i have makes it very difficult to controll the eye and move the mouth at the same time, so the final will probably just have a poseable eye with the option to move it for special shots.

cheers
elijah