How Do I Stop Adware?

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
D'Snowth said:
Here's the update:

I managed to delete 3 infections of AdWare, but I still have 4 left on my computer: three of them are "AdWare.NetOptimizer", and the other one is "AdWare. IST...something or other". I managed to deleted 3 of the original 7 via a tool I used from the virus definition website (I'll think of the name later). So slowly but surely, things are getting back to normal, but computer's not as slow, the pop ups are starting to dwindle, but I'm experiencing more crashes lately.
Install all the free software mentioned in my above post and keep them up to date and you should be fine.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
The pop-ups are coming back in full force, I guess I better do yet another system scan and see how many more infections I have now...

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Muppetsdownunder said:
the best spyware/adware software available is free, its great to use both adaware se personal
and Spybot which are both excellent programs.
Also to help prevent spyware/adware from getting onto the computer aswell as popup windows try mozilla firefox browser instead of internet explorer. its popular and great and free!

If you use internet explorer its important to use this free software called spyware blaster that stops bad stuff from getting onto the computer before it has a chance to get on and its also free.
Dude, neither one of them worked! Ad-Aware only scanned the viruses, but wouldn't get rid of them. Spybot wouldn't let me do anything unless I downloaded something else.

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Are you sure you are using them correctly? Ad-aware does not scan for viruses, it only scans for tracking cookies and spyware. Spybot Search and Destroy does the same thing. Both of them allow you to get rid of them without paying or downloading anything more.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Here's a status update: I now have only 1 infection left, but I can't delete this one: it's Adware.SideFind, but other than that, I've gotten rid of all the rest of the infections, so I'm definetely making progress!

MuppetsRule

Reaction score
Congrats! What finally did it? Bar of soap and a good shower? Just make sure you run a scan about once a week if not more often.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
My Norton automatically scans every Friday night at 8:00, and I was told they automatically update the program every Wednesdays.

What finally did it was I used both a Symantec Adware.NetOptimizer removal tool, and a Symantec Adware.Istbar removal tool, and that did the trick. I had one threat left, that I managed to quaratine, then delete. So, I'm clean. NO MORE DOWNLOADS AT ALL!!!

D'Snowth

Reaction score
Just got through with the weekly automatic scan...I'm still clean!!!