How much does it cost to have someone actually make you a puppet?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Try Monster Puppets - they sell alot of "Cookie Monster-like" puppets. I'd search on ebay under "Monster Puppet" though since they auction alot of them off there and you might be able to get a deal.

Another company I really like is Diablo Puppets in Montreal Quebec. They sell alot of googly-eyed puppets like C.M. - I bought a great little cow puppet off them in Toronto this fall for $25 (canadian). Don't be fooled by the limited number of puppets on the website, email them and ask for the latest catalogue which has tons of stuff in it I am told.

Finally, you should give Marlene Reimer at Puppets For Goodness Sake a call toll free at 1-888-300-1400 or email her at puppets4gfs@aol.com -she sells a good blue furry monster puppet and her prices are great. Tell her Omle Media sent `ya!!

Ryan

Reaction score
Originally posted by Traveling Matt
Hey Movies205-

I can personally recommend Armslength Productions. They make fantastic hand-and-rod puppets that are very easy to manipulate.

Good Luck!

- Billy :cool:
I *Rully* second that! Great puppets, as well as great mouth grip. He's very reasonable too.

punkNpuppets

Reaction score
what about Noreen Young? she can make custom built puppets wicked good. but they cost 1000 dollars. i saw that price i wuz like "Holy crap!!!!!!!!!"

Blink

Reaction score
Ya punkNpuppets,

Noreen Young has some amazing puppets. At first $1000 CAN may seem like a lot but you must think of it in these terms. You are commitioning a one of a kind sculpture (all be it foam and rubber). You ever see how much some paintings go for? Geeeez, I couldn't imagine paying that money for some of the stuff I have seen. But one of her puppets is a different story.

As for Movie205, buying a puppet is not as simple as one might think. There are so many options and prices what is a person to do. It may also help to think of buying a puppet like buying a car. The higher priced ones have limted runs (not as massed produced as some other models). There are often better quality materials used in the higher priced cars. Then there is the prestige of owning a car by a certain manufacturer. Much of the same can be said about puppets.

It depends on what you want to use use puppet for (just like your car). Do you just want the basics (no power windows, not cassette player, no A/C) or do you want some options, but not too many? Or are you looking to buy a special type of car just because you really want one?

Is $1000 CAN a lot of money? Sure it is. Would I spend $1000 CAN on a few items of really nice clothes? No (I'm pretty thrifty when it comes to clothes). Would I spend the same $1000 CAN on a puppet by Noreen Young. You bet (but that is only because I would really like to have one).

My suggestion is to shop around. Try on some puppets. I have tried a few puppets from builders that people are talking about on this post, and I know that some people's opinions are very different from my own on what a great puppet is. No doubt your optinions could be equally different from them or from me.

Figure on a price range (this is how much I am willing to spend), and stick to it. Find a puppet builder who can work in your price range. Then you might just have to take a leap of faith.

Finally there is always the option of trying to make your own. If it doesn't work out for you at least you might learn something about what you don't want in a puppet.

Best of luck in your journey,

Blink