How to get to Sesame Street and other information!

BEAR

Reaction score
Fozzie Bear said:
I know that Little Bird's performer is female; never heard for sure that Little Bird is a "she" though.

Bart Simpson and Bobby Hill are both performed by women; as was Charlie Brown once.
I realize that boys can be voiced by girls and vice versa, but Little Bird has been referred to as a girl. I have an album called "Sleepytime on Sesame Street" and LB is sleeping over at BB's nest. They refer to Little Bird as "she" and "her". Thats all.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
So as far as the show's concerned, she has referred to both a boy and a girl?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Ziffel said:
Well minor muppetz, I looked at imdb.com and according to them Roosevelt Franklin skits were from 1969-1972, Professor Hastings was from 1970 only (no wonder there weren't too many!), Herbert Birdsfoot skits were from 1970-1973, Little Bird was from 1970-1986 and 1990 (I would have thought that Little Bird was ended in the 70's but I guess Fran Brill, at least occasionally, continued to do more LB skits) and Harvey Kneeslapper was from 1970 to 197? . So some time in the 70's was the final HK skit. I would guess late 70's since they made quite a bit.
I think that might be wrong. I know that proffessor hastings was on the show in the first season (although 1970 was part of that season), and the album Sing the Alphabet has a song with proffessor Hasting, The U Lecture, which has a 1975 copyright date. also, I thought that Rosevelt fraklin first appeared in the second season, and was still on the show when Roscoe Orman took over as gordon (Orman took over in 1974).

I do know of at least three segments featuring Little Bird that were made after the 1970s ended; the Birdland Jump (Little Bird is in the background at birdland), Do Op Hop (Little Bird makes a brief appearance, flying) and We Are All Earthlings (Little Bird appears throughout the song and even sings a line).

doctort13

Reaction score
Orange Oscar!

I love Oscar The Grouch (see icon)

When I tell people that he was originally orange, they think that I am making it up. I even had the wonderful opportunity to meet the Orange Oscar when I was a child!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
When I tell people that he was originally orange, they think that I am making it up. I even had the wonderful opportunity to meet the Orange Oscar when I was a child!
how did you meet him? were you one of the many real kids who appeared on the show?

anyway, i would like to know if any of the following episodes aired on Noggin:
the first season episode where big bird wants to go to day care (mentioned in the wisdom of big bird).
the episode where big bird becomes convinced that mr. snuffleypagus isn't real (mentioned in the wisdom of big bird and sesame street unpaved).
the episode where big bird starts the birdkateers because oscar wouldn't let him join the grouchkateers.

MuppetDude

Reaction score
anyway, i would like to know if any of the following episodes aired on Noggin:
the first season episode where big bird wants to go to day care (mentioned in the wisdom of big bird).

No, but there is a 1980 episode where he visits a school.

the episode where big bird becomes convinced that mr. snuffleypagus isn't real (mentioned in the wisdom of big bird and sesame street unpaved).
No.

the episode where big bird starts the birdkateers because oscar wouldn't let him join the grouchkateers.

No, but in show #1041, there is a segment where Oscar has a "grouch club", possibly an early incarnation of the Grouchkateers.

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
MuppetDude said:
This is the only address I know of:

Sesame Workshop
1 Lincoln Plaza
New York, NY 10023
Fozzie Bear said:
Corporate offices are there. I know that address. They actually shoot somewhere else.
I wish I could remember the name of the original studio they shot in. It used to be listed in the end credits on the Friday shows. It was somewhere around W. 80th Street and Broadway.

The studio was so small that they use to hang Mr. Snuffleupagus from the rafters when he was not in use to keep him out of the way. It was a very odd sight!

I don't know where they shoot now.

:stick_out_tongue:

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
jeffkjoe said:
1) Northern Calloway, had a bunch of episodes where he was arrested for weird behavior (one was in Nashville, where he was making an appearance in the early 1980's) and they briefly dismissed him from the show. He came back off and on the '80's before leaving for good in 1990 (David was written out by going to 'take care of his grandmother.') Shortly thereafter, Calloway died of stomach cancer.
I'm not sure about the stories of him being arrested, but the main reason he left the show is because he was appearing on Broadway in "Pippin".

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Was Once Ernie said:
I wish I could remember the name of the original studio they shot in. It used to be listed in the end credits on the Friday shows. It was somewhere around W. 80th Street and Broadway.

The studio was so small that they use to hang Mr. Snuffleupagus from the rafters when he was not in use to keep him out of the way. It was a very odd sight!

I don't know where they shoot now.

Teletape 81st & Broadway. here more on it. http://forum.muppetcentral.com/showthread.php?t=16919

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
mikebennidict said:
Thanks, Mike! Reeves Teletape it was! And I was only off by a block. Pretty good, considering it's been over 30 years since I was there.

By the way, another interesting fact that wasn't mentioned in the other thread is that the Muppets taped all their bits for the season in one month... August. This was the reason I didn't get to visit more, because it was all crammed into such a short shooting schedule.

This is also the reason that Carroll Spinney pretty much only did Big Bird and Oscar and nothing else for the Muppets. He was busy taping the street segments while they were off doing other projects.

And here's a little trivia about Kaufman-Astoria studios where they now tape. It was used in the 80's to tape Bill Cosby's sitcom. But it actually goes all the way back to the dawn of movies. The Marx Brothers "Cocoanuts" and "Animal Crackers", two movies adapted from their Broadway plays, were shot there in the late 1920's, early 1930's!