How to make a puppet Stand?

Phantom

Reaction score
My "team" does a similar thing in our "puppet room" but we use 45s instead of 90s (degree elbows). They stick out further, but we can get more puppets per square inch of wall space. If you count all the crappy cheap store bought puppets I "inherited", I'm storing 35-40 puppets not counting the ones in members homes.

Just a thought.

jeffkjoe

Reaction score
The simplest way is to BUY one.

A doll stand, to be more exact. They sell them at any craft store, like A.C. Moore, Michaels, etc.

Just ask a salesperson where the doll stands are. They have different heights - 7", 12".

I use one for my vintage Grover puppet and one for my 12" Batman figure.

Both work well. Not expensive either.

gfarkwort

Reaction score
But those are small and not as good, and can fall over with the weight of the puppet......so pvc pipe is usually better and sturdier....

Muppetsdownunder

Reaction score
I use a big lump of foam and shove it into the puppet and it stops it from getting squashed when being transported and also helps it stand up until I can find the time and room to make a proper stand.

Depending on the size of your puppets, if you have small gove type puppets, Folkmanis puppets make stands for their puppets mainly used for stores but they are good for home use too, if you have lots of puppets that would fit.

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Shaver, good idea. Forgot about that method. In a church I used to attend they had a HUGE puppetry room and had a ton of the smaller puppets up on the wall in the same fashion, had plastic bags over them to keep them from getting dusty; the bigger puppets were in crates stacked on the floor, and had a photo of the puppet on the outside of the box.

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
I went down to the craft store and buoght an unfinished wooden plaque (don't know what they'e for but they look like you're supposed to paint some quaint saying on them, "Home is where the heart is" etc... and hang em on your wall) and a nice thick wooden dowel, the thickest they have available. Then you just cut the dowel to the appropriate size, do some drilling, and screw the dowel to the plaque. The larger plaques can accomodate like 4 seperate posts, so for like 12 bucks you can store 4 puppets. Don't know how that price compares to the PVC pipe method, but it's sure simple. Also I covered the end of the dowel , which is fairly rough, with a few layers of that "foamies" craft foam, just so the ends didn't snag on the puppet interior.

TopperFraggle

Reaction score
Gee, wish I had read the other posts before I posted exactly what was said before. Oh well, at least someone else does it the same way I do- and Ravage Frackle no less. I'm honored :smile:

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
How to make a puppet stand?

TAKE AWAY ITS CHAIR!
WOCKA WOCKA!!!

(Sorry, I couldn't resist it any longer! I wanted to do that joke since the first day I saw this thread and...well, I broke down. Sorry.) HAAAAA!