How to start making puppets?

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
doctort13 said:
Thanks for the glued eyes tip, I'll have to try that out sometime.

i find it works better to round the edges of the foam so it fits inside with out squishing it to much, then glueing it in with contact cement , simalar maethod, just a different technigue

Iokitek

Reaction score
I'm lazy :stick_out_tongue: Very actually. I always try to take the easy way out. Wich is not always recommendable.

Jitterz

Reaction score
I have been looking all over the internet on how to make a puppet and i cant find anything and this looks like a helpful thread. i have drwn out some diagrams on what puppets i would like to make but cant do anything about it. can someone take me step by step on haw to make a puppet? that would be greatly appreciated...thanks!:big_grin:

ravagefrackle

Reaction score
dude, tons of stuff out thier , you not looking hard enough,

go to bucks site,

Puppetvision.blogspot.com,
then check out
sean and patricks websites

Puppets 101,

and Puppet design , both are linked on Bucks,

Fuzzhead

Reaction score
I wanted to bring this thread back up because I am very interested in starting my own puppet building. I just finished reading the foam book and looking through most of the sites listed here. I really feel overwhelmed by all the information and intimidated by all the beautiful work people have done. I have a background in art, including sculpting and making animatronic puppets. However, it is a totally different procedure. The puppet head I built was sculpted, molded, cast in foam latex and attached to a fiberglass understructure. How can I incorporate some of those techniques into making some of the more traditional foam and fleece puppets? Also, am I correct in assuming a lot of first time builders tend to bite off more than they can chew at their first attempt? My first instinct is to build an Uncle Deadly type character, but I guess I should start with something a lot more simple. I have loved puppets since I was a child and I strongly feel that this is what I should be doing. What is a good first time project to try?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
I think your idea about starting with a simple project is a really good one. Why not start with something like Project Puppet's "Sock Puppet" pattern?

PlaySoup

Reaction score
Sketch TO Show: Patterning a Puppet

The DVD of taking your sketch to puppet shape that we were discussing last fall is now available.