1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

How to start making puppets?

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by charlynoa, Feb 20, 2005.

1. Buck-Beaver Active Member

Welcome to the Forum Dave!
  2. jacobsnchz Active Member

Ask BabyScooter!! :) He's a member of the MC Forum!! :)
  3. SJohnson Member

4. pretzel New Member

I am making a full size mascot and wonder what is the best way to support the head? It's a dog, with a large snout that pulls it down in front. Plus I need the area to see through. So far I have covered a cylindrical piece of chicken wire with some netting over it and have the tongue attached at the bottom. Any ideas?
  5. Buck-Beaver Active Member

There are some good mascot links available at http://werevarmint.timduru.org/wvhow2.htm

This article might also be helpful.

A word of advice - do not use chicken wire in a head. It can eventually poke through and serious injur or even blind someone. Mascot heads are usually best carved from styrofoam or patterned from polyfoam.
  6. JimJudy New Member

Thanks buck,I needed that.
  7. MuppetMarc New Member

Are there any stores that are not online you can go to for foam? Being 14 I would have to beg my parents to buy me some from the internet.
  8. RubbeRoomStudio New Member

as far as the "scotts foam", i haven't been able to find any in my area, but you can't go wrong asking around, or grabbing a phone book and looking for foam suppliers...

if you are looking to put a covering on your puppets, but not dye them; i have found some 1/2 in. polyfoam at jo-ann fabrics... although not the best, and the fact that it is blue, it gets the job done... for me, anyway...
    hope this helps
  9. Buck-Beaver Active Member

Wal-Mart sells small-ish sheets of reticulated foam as air conditioning filters for a buck or two. Not sure of the width, but I think it is almost a 1/2" thick (check before you buy to make sure it's not too thin). It can usually be found in the hardware section.
  10. ravagefrackle New Member

11. RubbeRoomStudio New Member

just a question... what types of glues does everybody here use? right now i'm using hot glue (high temp)... i was thinking of changing up my process...
  12. Buck-Beaver Active Member

You'll find that contact cement works much better for most things. It also creates a permanent bond, which hot glue does not. Just be sure to use a respirator and a well-ventilated work area.

Search the Forum for "contact cement" and you'll find a lot of old threads with good info.
  13. TheCreatureWork Active Member

High temp glue tends to melt foam, contact cement (if applied by a seperate sponge) and given time to dry some will adhere two pieces of foam really well. Make certain you take Buck-Beaver's advise and use a respirator, I also wear rubber/latex glove too.
  14. RubbeRoomStudio New Member

thanks for the tips you guys... i bought some contact cement and got new filters for my respirator... now i'm just ready to build the next one...
  15. dkmontgomery Member

contact cement?

Is there a particular brand of contact cement that you find works best? I have did the hot glue thing for a while. I would think the contact cement might make a neater set with out excess hot glue seeping through the edge.:crazy:
  16. TheCreatureWork Active Member

Contact Cement

I'm fond of 3M Fast Bond 30 Cement:
    http://www.pooldawg.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=50306&src=trafficleader

Labels may very depending on the country your from. I used Elmers and found the seal for it isn't that good and the glue inside the jar tends to dry up fast once it is opened.I tend to purchase the smaller quantity though. I would recommend using the blotting technique for application, and give it some time to dry before you "marry" the two pieces together. ;)
  17. TheCreatureWork Active Member

18. dkmontgomery Member

contact ement thanks

Thanks for the contact cement information. I am sur eit will be helpful in the near future. Much appreciated!:rolleyes:
  19. dollynibble New Member

Halo!!, what i usually have trouble with when meking my puppets is movement. i would love to learn more on hydrolics and how puppeteers incorporate it into performance!. if anyone could help me with any info on this that would be great:)......does anyone know of any website that has info on this or/and rod puppetry, i would love to start making rod puppets but have no idea how its done!...

Cheers

Dea
  20. SSJiffy New Member

Anime-esque Puppet

Hello there, I've a project due two months from now (for a class) where I must create a puppet. Now, I have no skill in sowing, nor knitting, nor 'creating' anything in general, but am more than willing to try with my abundant amount of time. I have a floating idea in my head about creating a faceless anime puppet. I want to be able to make it an interchangeable personality/attire puppet. One day it's female the next it's male, maybe an alien aswell. I've heard from my class that Jim Henson created puppets similar to the idea I'm revolving with, anyone have tips on making an 'anime'-esque puppet?

One last thing: I want to make a plushie-marionette (if possible) but a handpuppet would do just fine.