How to start making puppets?

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
just a question... what types of glues does everybody here use? right now i'm using hot glue (high temp)... i was thinking of changing up my process...

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
You'll find that contact cement works much better for most things. It also creates a permanent bond, which hot glue does not. Just be sure to use a respirator and a well-ventilated work area.

Search the Forum for "contact cement" and you'll find a lot of old threads with good info.

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
High temp glue tends to melt foam, contact cement (if applied by a seperate sponge) and given time to dry some will adhere two pieces of foam really well. Make certain you take Buck-Beaver's advise and use a respirator, I also wear rubber/latex glove too.

RubbeRoomStudio

Reaction score
thanks for the tips you guys... i bought some contact cement and got new filters for my respirator... now i'm just ready to build the next one...

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
contact cement?

ravagefrackle said:
i find it works better to round the edges of the foam so it fits inside with out squishing it to much, then glueing it in with contact cement , simalar maethod, just a different technigue

Is there a particular brand of contact cement that you find works best? I have did the hot glue thing for a while. I would think the contact cement might make a neater set with out excess hot glue seeping through the edge.:crazy:

TheCreatureWork

Reaction score
Contact Cement

I'm fond of 3M Fast Bond 30 Cement:
http://www.pooldawg.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=50306&src=trafficleader

Labels may very depending on the country your from. I used Elmers and found the seal for it isn't that good and the glue inside the jar tends to dry up fast once it is opened.I tend to purchase the smaller quantity though. I would recommend using the blotting technique for application, and give it some time to dry before you "marry" the two pieces together. :wink:

dkmontgomery

Reaction score
contact ement thanks

Thanks for the contact cement information. I am sur eit will be helpful in the near future. Much appreciated!:rolleyes:

dollynibble

Reaction score
Halo!!, what i usually have trouble with when meking my puppets is movement. i would love to learn more on hydrolics and how puppeteers incorporate it into performance!. if anyone could help me with any info on this that would be great:smile:......does anyone know of any website that has info on this or/and rod puppetry, i would love to start making rod puppets but have no idea how its done!...

Cheers

Dea

SSJiffy

Reaction score
Anime-esque Puppet

Hello there, I've a project due two months from now (for a class) where I must create a puppet. Now, I have no skill in sowing, nor knitting, nor 'creating' anything in general, but am more than willing to try with my abundant amount of time. I have a floating idea in my head about creating a faceless anime puppet. I want to be able to make it an interchangeable personality/attire puppet. One day it's female the next it's male, maybe an alien aswell. I've heard from my class that Jim Henson created puppets similar to the idea I'm revolving with, anyone have tips on making an 'anime'-esque puppet?

One last thing: I want to make a plushie-marionette (if possible) but a handpuppet would do just fine.