How was Pufnstuf operated?

rickly

Reaction score
Barney and Welcome to Pooh's Corner, were both mechanical puppetry. Off stage puppeteers controlled the blinking eyes and mouth for the characters
Barney's jaw is operated by the performer in the suit. It is not radio controlled. Believe it or not, he uses his jaw to push down on a control bar that moves the mouth. It is an incredibly unsophisticated method that requires enormous neck strength of the suit performer. The production tried on several occasions to change how it worked, but the suit performer got used to it and preferred it. And Barney does not have radio controlled eyes - at first, they were mounted on swivels so they could swing on their own from side to side as the performer moved his head. Later, they were changed to a fixed position because they just jittered around too much.

That's classic peak popularity late 90's Barney, anyway. Perhaps there is more recent stuff that uses more sophisticated technology that I don't know about.

practicecactus

Reaction score
Well fancy that. Explains the spazmodic jabber movement.
So he'd basically have to talk and nod his head down at the same time?
Seems it'd make more sense to have a jaw sling mech and run a cable off it.

muppetperson

Reaction score
WOW, do you have that a real HR Puf in your collection?
So that is the pale mouth one, where the head just nods around?
On second inspection, it cant be that one because the hair is longer and there is no pucker in the top lip! I suppose there has been many costumes over the production.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
I suppose there has been many costumes over the production.
Yep, it seems like after the show and the movie, each new Pufnstuf puppet they built looked weirder and weirder, though the most recent puppet they used (at the June 2009 TV Land Awards where Sid and Marty Krofft were honored) looks more like the original(s).

propologist

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I do not own this. I just have the good fortune to know a lot of people with a lot of stuff. As well as I do a lot of restoration on org. movie and tv stuff. Part of the process is to photo doc. the item. I do have more photos I just have not uploaded them as of yet. If you look around at my flickr acct. ( propologist )you will see that I work on a lot of ver. stuff. or you can look at my companys web site.
http://hms-studios.com

Enjoy,

Mike

muppetperson

Reaction score
just bought a Freddy the Flute replica on ebay.The seller has a few left and they are only $50!