1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

I found Hoggle

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Hairfarmer, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Hairfarmer

Hairfarmer New Member

Just an FYI for all interested. While traveling along Highway 72 through northern Alabama yesterday my wife and I stopped in a small town called Scottsboro, about halfway between Huntsville, AL and Chattanooga, TN. There is a special second-hand store there called Unclaimed Baggage. Everything they sell is, as the name suggests items from baggage that was lost or unclaimed and could not be returned to it's original owners. After 90 days, the airlines sell these bags/packages and their contents - unopened.

The store has a small area designated as it "Museum" containg articles that are so rare, or valuable that they do not sell them, but display them instead. Imagine my surprise when I saw the case pictured on this page of their website:
    http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/museum.html

I took a few pictures myself, but haven't had a chance to get them in the computer yet. I made a point to give the manager the name of The Center For Puppetry Arts in Atlanta to contact about the pieces in the case.
    Hopefully they can work-out getting the pieces to the Center' before they deteriorate more.
  2. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/museumitems.html This link sent me right to it.

My question is, they realize who the character is, but won't return it to JHC? What do they mean when they say it can't be returned to the owners when the address to JHC is available to them? Obviously, JHC doesn't care about it, but it's an awesome piece to own, and I hope someone can get it that can take better care of it!

BTW: Gang: This is what happens if you don't exfoliate and moisturize daily!
  3. crazy ernie

crazy ernie New Member

The rotting Hoggle puppet scares me! If the Center of Puppetry Arts gets it, I hope they restore him.
  4. Fozzie Bear

5. Hairfarmer

Hairfarmer New Member

My understanding is that the airline(s) spend 90 days of intensive(thier words) working trying to find the owner of an unclaimed bag or parcel. If by the end of those 90 days the owner can't be found, the bag is sold unopened, so they would have no idea what the contents were when they sold it. I also believe the items are sold in an auction-like manner. I also wish the Center' could restore him, but having volunteered there when I lived in the Atlanta Area, I know that is not the case. They don't have the funding to be able to create accurate re-productions of the foam latex portions of the creature. and without that ability it falls to a question of how well they can keep it from rotting any more. Unfortunately the nature of foam latex is such that it dry-rots within a relatively short time period, if not archivally contained. The Center already has UrSol - The Chanter, one of the Mystics, from the Dark Crystal, but can't display him because of the same deterioration. It is stored in a climate controlled storage room, with the hopes that they will, some day, be able to rebuild his latex parts and restore him. They do at least have some other Henson pieces, that are in museum-quality condition, on display including the Skeksis General with his sword from the "Trial By Stone".

6. Infinity Sirius

Infinity Sirius New Member

What I would like to know is how it got there in the first place. JHC is very particular about where their Muppets and artifacts go. They hardly let anything out of their archives. Who was traveling with Hoggle? Who left him behind? And why has JHC not made a move to recollect him?
  7. lollmorley

lollmorley New Member

Poor Hoggle. Mind you, I'd assumed he had long since passed, so at least he's found somewhere nice and quiet to spend his retirement years! It would be great if someone could get hold of him so he could be restored!? Where do you think he was on his way to?
  8. Fozzie Bear

I was in Atlanta several years ago and REALLY wanted to stop by the Center but never got to. I think we did go by there and it was closed. I think.
  9. Infinity Sirius

Stars, Hoggle looks Scary!
  10. Krazedmuppet

Krazedmuppet Active Member

that is soooo incredibly sad....... :cry: I mean really, thats a peice of film history, and its rotting away at some musem for people who dont claim baggage...... I mean, Im sure they recieved it in ALOT better shape than that... its just sickining, dang, you find something like that, thats valuble, and working puppet (I mean, he was AWSOME the anamatronics that went into him?!), lots of work and $ went into it... then you let it rot away?! I dont thin so, stupid people, I think it should get taken by someone who wuld restore it and keep it nice, what have they been doing to it?! dont get it.... :attitude: :cry: :mad:
  11. Infinity Sirius

Who knows? Maybe the people at unclaimed luggage would like to repair Hoggle, but they just don't have the funds.
  12. Krazedmuppet

I guess the biggest question is, why doesnt JHC calim it? (unless they just think its funny) or why not a puppetry foundation of some kind? I dont know, someone.... I wonder if they would even let someone restore it...
  13. Hairfarmer

Hairfarmer New Member

It's not that they've done anything to it necesarilly, it's just the nature of the beast with foam latex. It's almost imposible to keep it from rotting and the puppet is 20 years old. The latex parts of him really aren't in much worse shape than the mystic that they have at the CFPA in Atlanta.
  14. Krazedmuppet

hmm... intersting, I guess so... Its still sad, where is the picture of the mystic?
  15. Muppetsdownunder

Muppetsdownunder New Member

Thats amazing, It should be in a puppetry museumnot an unclaimed baggage one. Is that the one and only puppet of this character? or did they make a few? if its the only one you would really think Henson would get it back.
  16. Hairfarmer

Hairfarmer New Member

I don't have any pictures of the UrSol puppet. It's not at Unclaimed Baggage. It's in the storeroom at The Center For Puppetry Arts in Atlanta:
    http://www.puppet.org

They do have the Skeksis General on display in their permanent exhibit hall though:
    http://www.puppet.org/museum/permanent.shtml
    Scroll down towards the bottom of the page or click here for the close-up picture:
    http://www.puppet.org/museum/pix/img_skeksis.jpg
  17. Fozzie Bear

Hmmm...they mentioned something from Pigs In Space in the lower part of their listings, but no pictures. I wish someone could get a photo album online of everything, but that might cause people not to go if they could.
  18. e6r6i6c

e6r6i6c New Member

This is just sad, I have seen labyrinth a thousand times when I was a little kid, I saw it at a store a couple of days back and I bought it, I watched it with my girlfriend who never saw it before, she loved it. So I checked out the imdb forum about the movie and I stumbled over some hoggle topic explaining how he is now in the hands of some weird unclaimed luggage museum, I was stunned, how can the Jim Henson Company let that puppet that was one of the main characters of Labyrinth rot away in such a place? Why did they never claim it back? It had to be very expensive to make in that time, and very expensive to transport, someone surely had a list and should have missed the Hoggle crate?

What I find very strange is that the people of Unclaimed luggage surely had to know what they had in their hands, and they should have contacted the Jim Henson Company just like they did with some other unclaimed but very important luggage they got, like a navigation system for a F16 and a camera from nasa, those items have been returned to their owners, but not the hoggle puppet :confused: I don't want to imply anything, I don't have any proof but I think something smells bad over there, they should return hoggle to the Jim Henson Company, period!
  19. e6r6i6c

e6r6i6c New Member

It's just unbelievable that the JHC never claimed hoggle back, it was at that time a impressive piece of technology and one of the main characters of a big movie hit, I can imagine it must have costs lots of money to create and they must have been proud about it, I don't understand when they found out it was missing, and it popped up at that museum they never claimed it back, the people behind the creation of the hoggle puppet must be really sad to see something they created, rotting away at some weird museum, I know I would be sad to see something I made rotting away somewhere, I would have done something about it. And seeing how many fans here on the boards are all thinking the same thing, JHC get hoggle back!
  20. naglfar

naglfar New Member

This is a real shame, you would think someone would have claimed or bought it off them by now, I mean Jim Henson's son Brian now runs JHC doesn't he? and didn't he voice Hoggle in that film? you would think he'd want it. Then there's George Lucas who produced it, Jennifer Connelly, David Bowie, Terry Jones...all these people are pretty loaded, you would think one of them would quite like it as memorabilia or something and had the resources to do something about it quite easily.