Idea for new Muppet Show

Whataday

Reaction score
Here's my idea for a twist on The Muppet Show format.

MUPPET SLEEPOVERS
The Muppets spend a night over at a famous person's home. In a world of reality TV, with shows such as The Osbournes becoming very popular, this would allow The Muppets to take a look around the homes of the rich and famous.

It also allows many different possibilities for musical numbers and sketches. It wouldn't be restricted to the star's house either. His/her TV set could be used to link between sketches.

It's sort of "The Muppet Show-turned inside out". As with TMS, there would be a different star on each show, but this time The Muppets are the guests.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Sorry, but I don't like it. Realistically I don't think it could be done and the last thing I want the muppets to do is reality TV. I can't stand it! Joe Millionare, Average Joe, Survivor, etc. I don't even watch these shows, but they are all over the news and radio that I feel like I've watched them. Reality TV is on over kill.

rexcrk

Reaction score
No offense to you, but I don't think that that's the best idea. It's not your fault, it's that I hate reality TV shows. I just can't see the Muppets doing reality TV... ugh :boo: . Remember in It's A Very Merry Muppet Christmas movie when Daniel was like to Kermit "For some reason your not being born has turned 90% of network TV into reality shows" or something like that.

LOL that was a good line :stick_out_tongue: :big_grin:

dmx10101

Reaction score
Sorry to say, but I don't really like that idea. Just doesn't sound right.

Whataday

Reaction score
Judging by the responses, I think you might have been thrown by my mentioning of reality TV.

It wouldn't be Hello magazine-TV! It would be a scripted entertainment show, just like The Muppet Show, but instead of being set in a theatre, it would be set at the star's house. It's not a radically different idea, but it is a variation on the format. They wouldn't even have to use the star's real house, they could use sets in a studio.

Don't know why I mentioned reality TV really. Maybe it's because I'm British. We did invent it, after all! :big_grin:

WiGgY

Reaction score
Whataday said:
Don't know why I mentioned reality TV really. Maybe it's because I'm British. We did invent it, after all! :big_grin:
You can have it back. :-p

Mock reality TV or real, I really don't like this idea. Too many sets to build. I mean, a whole new set each week seems a bit too much. I'd rather the muppets not have guest stars. Few are good anymore. Big names aren't talented anymore. I mean, Brittany on the muppet show? No.

With Dinosuars we saw that a fully muppet sitcom can work. Maybe do that with the muppets. Someone had an idea about Mixing sitcom with TMS. A few shows focus on getting ready for the show, and then we have one heck of a show one week. I think the parts in AVMMC that I liked best had to do with getting ready for the show. We really didn't see that with TMS.

In my perfect world, Jim Henson would still be alive and he'd be doing the Jim Henson Hour. That was a great idea and I don't know why the network canceled it. In this not so perfect world, I'd like to see a Henson Hour show. Hald the show has the muppets getting ready for the show, sans guest star. The other half is the actual show.

A funny part could be muppet characters standing in for the guest star during the first part. Let's say *shudders* BRittany was the guest star. Bobo standing in for her during rehersal would be hilarious.

Whataday

Reaction score
WiGgY said:
I'd rather the muppets not have guest stars. Few are good anymore. Big names aren't talented anymore.

They might not be talented, but they sure are popular. A format with guest stars might be the only way we get a regular Muppet show back on TV.

I'm not saying my idea is flawless, but it's not a million miles away from The Muppet Show.

WiGgY

Reaction score
Whataday said:
They might not be talented, but they sure are popular. A format with guest stars might be the only way we get a regular Muppet show back on TV.

I'm not saying my idea is flawless, but it's not a million miles away from The Muppet Show.
I don't think they need guest stars. Comedy variety shows don't need them. Look at Mad TV. The only have cameo's. It might be better for a new show to have cameo's so that you never know who will be on next week.

dmx10101

Reaction score
I still don't really like the idea.
In response to what someone else said, It's not a Muppet show without the movie and tv stars in each episode, that's what makes the Muppets more real.