1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

if the gorgs had their own singing part in the theme...

Discussion in 'Fraggle Rock' started by Redsonga, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Quesal

Quesal Active Member

Genius!

GENIUS! GENIUS!
  2. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I am so glad you all like it
  3. Quesal

Quesal Active Member

And that's not easy for many people to do...is it?
  4. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I dont know if thats a compliment or not?
  5. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

I really don't see it as lasting as a perfect peace forever...to them I think it is like having mice, you forget about them if you have bigger troubles and you might even be 'nice' to them by letting them run wild, but I don't see gorgs as having long memories about things that aren't about gorgs. They are like many humans, self important and forgetful about rights when it doesn't suit them (expect for Junior, who I think would stay nice to them). In my version of FR they go from plain thumbing to doing experiments on them and charting them like animals on a nature show because Jr's wife sees it as more 'civilized' and humane.
  6. Quesal

Quesal Active Member

I meant it as a compliment.
  7. RedPiggy

RedPiggy Well-Known Member

From the action during the opening, it's very clear he's just an overexuberant critter collector, like many boys (and me, but I'm a tomboy :D).

I think the change is less about Junior than it is the FRAGGLES' perception of Junior. Look at Mokey's Funeral. Junior never wanted to kill anyone. His parents might have (though Ma is more inconsistent than Pa), but Junior was always just a thoughtless kid when it came to other creatures.

It's the FRAGGLES, beginning with Mokey, I think, who start to see the Gorgs, especially Junior, in a different light as the episodes wear on. THEY were the ones who feared getting killed. How many Fraggles have been killed by Gorgs? Most outrun them, and the ones that DO get "thumped" just end up in bandages later.
  8. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Think of this, if you were thumped but could still walk would you wait around to see what comes next past the point of bandages? I know I wouldn't...
    *whispers* I really think the gorgs use to eat them (and might, still)..but then I think many things still do..Fraggles seem like one of those things, like rabbits, that if left to themselves would have a lot more than 10,000 + of their kind in the whole world ;) *eyes Boober*...
  9. RedPiggy

If you were too slow to avoid getting thumped, how does having a broken leg make you faster? :D
    Out of EVERY dish we've ever heard of that the Gorgs make ... at what point do we ever hear "meat"? The most I've seen is including eggs (since Junior wanted one and I don't think you can make cakes and stuff without them). Gorgs may be omnivores, but we only see them eat vegetarian stuff. Have we EVER seen them chomp down on some meat?

Just because the Fraggles ASSUMED Gorgs ate Fraggles doesn't mean they DO.
  10. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

It doesn't mean you still couldn't get away if you were smart enough ;). And like I said if I could in anyway, I would rather than see what might happen next...

Just because they never talk about it in the show doesn't mean it couldn't have been a part of their diet we just never saw. I mean someone who always misses the night a silly creature family eats fish might think we never eat it when we do :3. And even if we eat fish we don't make a daily habit of talking about it (at least all the people I know don't...)

*Always found it funny that the 'eggs' fraggles cook with are actually gourds*

And it doesn't mean they don't, or didn't in the past..Stewed fraggles tell no tales:eek:
  11. RedPiggy

I see what you're saying, but from my perspective, there's nothing canon outside of Fraggle fears that Gorgs eat them. If we're going to say that Gorgs are cruel (which, to me, is what mentioning "thumping" in the theme song would suggest), then we need to back that up with more than Fragglish rumor. The fact remains that the theme of the show is learning to understand one another, we never see the Gorgs eat anything even remotely animal, and characters who get "thumped" just don't disappear, they just get hurt. The Fraggles assume WE'RE to be feared, too. But in OUR case, I could see how they would think that, given that we're notorious meat-eaters and many pride themselves on it.
  12. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

The ones we see, there could be ones we didn't that never returned. The way I see it rumors always start from some truth and the understanding that the series gives between fraggles and gorgs is only between that family of gorgs and that group of fraggles, who knows what the rest might do and how long it will all last...I'm just thinking of it in terms of a bigger world than we are shown, not because I think the gorgs are bloodthirsty or anything...I mean I caught frogs when I was little and would never think of eating them, but some cultures do...I'm not saying fraggles are frogs but maybe many smaller creatures in their world can talk and have cultures and so it is all the same to bigger things like gorgs :sympathy:
  13. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

Then I shall take it as one.
  14. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Hmm...I mean Junior did have his own song where we talked about catching and kicking the Fraggles. But I think I agree that for the theme song, it needed to be a bit more ambiguous so they didn't appear like out and out bad guys.

I think people can have their own interpretations (that's what fanfics are for, hehe), but I personally don't think the Gorgs ate the Fraggles. Pa and Ma seem more disgusted by them than anything, like they're rodents. And they don't act disapointed when Junior fails to catch them, like they're missing a meal. They're more annoyed that Junior's going through all the trouble.
  15. heralde

You know, I know not everyone likes Robot Chicken, lol. But I'm reminded of one skit where they parodied the Smurfs and they showed Gargamel (the Smurf villian of course) being asked why he hated the Smurfs. And he says something like "Actually my motivations were never entirely clear." Lol, which is very true. ;)
  16. heralde

Oh yeah, but then another time it might be different, as with the Gorgs.
  17. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

But in that case Gargamel did want to eat them even though he hated them (which makes sense since it looked like the middle ages and he was very poor, or at least had a castle but not any/much food).

Anyway I am asking this question because I was thinking of putting a longer verison of the theme in my fanfic:coy:...and rather than get something so beloved wrong I was thinking of putting in a gorg part most of us could agree on..of course I could still just write my own version to...but there is no harm in asking :)
  18. RedPiggy

I hope so, but it kinda depends on the Fragglish plot.
  19. unclematt

unclematt Active Member

I just don't see the Gorgs being in the film just because of what I have heard of the plot line. I think it is going to focus mainly on the Fraggles in Outer Space and not so much in the actual Rock which would then in turn make it hard to incorporate the Gorgs
  20. RedPiggy

I must be thinking of Redsonga's fic too much. I dreamed last night that we were watching G4 and they started showing a preview for Fraggle Rock, with Fraggles streaming out of sewer drains (at first I thought it was another TMNT flick), and Junior was walking down Broadway in NYC at night, lost. :)

I was SO excited to see a preview ... and bummed because they forgot to mention the release date. :(