If you were in charge of three more Muppet Movies....

Gonzo

Reaction score
Here's the scenario:

There will be Three More Muppet Movies. Ever. That's it. No more, no less. And YOU, you lucky sonofagun, get to be the one who decides what they are.

What would they be? Who would be the leads? Would you finally showcase some obscure Muppet? Give an old favorite a chance to shine? Kill them all off? Have a bona-fide Epic Trilogy? What would YOU do? Here are my basics for MY Last Three Muppet Movies:

1. An all-out adventure-type "Indiana Jones"ish movie, starring Kermit as the reluctant hero we all know he is. Kermit would be the hero, Piggy the heroine, with all of the usual crew along for the ride--as secondary characters I would highlight Fozzie Bear (as Kermit's sidekick--and AS Fozzie, not this weird Bear that's been around for a while now) and Electric Mayhem.

2. A musical--I'm not sure what the storyline would be, but have it be a musical comedy that would sweep the Oscars and leave all other Muppet Music in the dust--have it be a simple story, but one that everyone can relate to (sounds simple, doesn't it?) ...The leads would still be Kermit and Piggy, but Rowlf would be a key player (Key Player...even *I* didn't get THAT!!!), revoiced by Bill Baretta, and the Gonzo/Camilla relationship would be renewed in a secondary plotline. Beaker finally gets his big screen solo song....I'll bet you can guess the lyrics.

3. The final Muppet Movie for me would be a sort of time-traveling semi-sci-fi(but not too techy) flick whose main theme is the ongoing romance of Kermit and Piggy, and how in whatever time, whatever circumstance, they are Meant To Be Together. The flavor I have in my head is sort of like the final episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation (if that means anything to any other geeks here)...that in whatever time, whatever circumstance, tehse are great people, and deserve each other. There would be Two Heaping Scoops of cameos by Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, Storyteller, Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Jim Henson Hour, and Muppets Tonight characters.....but the focus would remain on the Muppet Show Family. Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Gonzo, Rowlf, Scooter, Electric Mayhem, Bunsen, Beaker, Sam, Robin, Rizzo, Chef, Statler, and Waldorf would all be featured prominently, and the crackheads like Lew Zealand, Link, Marvin Suggs, and Crazy Harry would all be there too. However it ends, it ends happily, and there's not a dry eye left in the audience.

Those are my ideas--ideally, they'd have Jerry Juhl (or someone else who KNOWS the Muppets) as writer, Frank Oz performing Piggy, Fozzie, etc, and Oz (or another talented director....not a director who's only done MTV videos) as director. All of them would have original musical numbers, since I think that's one thing that really hobbled "Muppets From Space," and although various Muppets would be showcased, I'd keep the focus on the Pig and the Frog...although their RELATIONSHIP wouldn't really be explored until the final flick.

I think that's it. Just something I think about sometimes--what would I do if MY hands were in....I mean ON the Muppets.

What would you do with three more movies?

Quinnnnnnnnn (nnnnnnnnnnnnn)

Salmoto

Reaction score
I like their idea of "The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever." I don't know why they sit on this idea, it's pure gold, and JIM HENSON HELPED CONCIEVE IT! It could even be made better since there are now a bunch of second string characters from MT that can join in after all the main people like Kermit and Piggy are out of the picture. Imagine Pepe trying to substitute for Kermit.

I want a compilation movie called "The Muppets Greatest Moments." Either it could be clips of footage from classic moments throught "The Muppet Show," TV shows, specials and movies with new bridging sequences made by the current performers or a whole new movie set in the Muppet theater featuring remakes of classic Muppet skits and songs. It would be perfect for the 25th anniversary and CHEAP! Well, cheap if they used clips...

I want my last movie to be one that doesn't star the Muppets, but is a fantasy adventure movie along the lines of "Labrynth" or "Dark Crystal." Or even if it isn't fantasy, just a movie where all of the supporting cast are creatures from Jim Henson's shop. Nowadays, puppets are highly underused for special effects and this movie would be a testimony to how effective Jim Henson's Creature shop is in creating a whole new movie-type world. Not to mention we won't hear the likes of Will Smith complaining thay can't see their CGI-created co stars.

And I think Kermit substituted for Indiana in one of the segments of "The Muppets At Walt Disney World." He didn't seem very comfortable swinging around, and he kept warning the audience that "This isn't real, this is just a stunt show." To me, Kermit is just not the action hero type.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
1 Muppet Show Movie where the Muppets return to the old theater for a tribute performance to save it from being torn down.

2 Muppets as superheros (like Mystery Men, but not lame) or even a 007 sort of thriller

3 Almost Never Famous - an expose on the Elecric Mayhem.

**I like the Cheapest Muppet Movie ever made, but this seems more like a TV special to me. I can just see the review headlines if the film missed the mark.

Kermie19

Reaction score
If I was in charge of three Muppet movies:

1.) I would love to see a movie about how the Muppet Show came to be. How Kermit met J.P. Grosse and got the theater (JP: "Only if you give my nephew, Scooter here, a job"). How they found the rest of the Muppet cast. How they got big name stars to come and do a one night variety show. And why Statler and Waldorf went to every show. (Waldorf: "You had to get the lifetime tickets didn't you?")

2.) I also would love to see a movie building the old relationships of the Muppet Show and the Muppet Movie. Including the return of the Electric Mayhem and other beloved characters (like Rowlf and Scooter). I miss those Muppets. Maybe like the cd Muppet Beach Party. A vacation to the beach, where they can just explore the characters and have fun. This would also be a great idea to build the Muppets Tonight characters more, since that was such a short lived series.

3.) And finally, I would make a movie to end all Muppet movies of course. Maybe have all the characters go their seperate ways. The Muppet Theater is being torn down (Jamie, I hope you don't mind I borrowed that idea), and now all of them are out of work. Of course, they try and stop it, but all of their attempts don't work. It would be cool to get every (and I mean every Muppet in the film: Sesame Street, Fraggle Rock, etc.) But in the end, everyone says goodbye, but not before Kermit and Piggy actually get married in the last Muppet Show ever put on. It could include instant classic Muppet music like the original three films and star every Muppet character made.

Those are my ideas. Hoped you liked them. They're not the best ideas, but it was what I thought up at the time. :big_grin:

Bryce

Bean Bunny

Reaction score
Foundation of Youth

My Muppet Movie would be about the crew getting turn into babies by a foundation of Youth. Baby Kermit, Piggy, Fozzie, Animal, Gozzo, Rowlf, Scooter and his sister, Bean, Pepe, and other.

In second thought may be not.

Rufus

Reaction score
Wow! I can't believe so many other people have an idea similiar to one I had - "The Muppet Show Movie", telling how the Muppet show came to be. It would be great seeing how the regulars like Fozzie and Gonzo auditioned and got their jobs. Plus , it would really set itself up for lots of "big-name" cameos.

I don't know what I would do for the final Muppet Movie ever... I like the idea of everybody having some sort of part or cameo, even Labyrinth and Dark Crystal characters, but I don't know how it would all be put together... I'll have to think on this one for a couple days...

- R -

EmmyMik

Reaction score
I've put some thought in this (perhaps too much thought. I thought of reasons why my movies wouldn't work, but who cares).

--The Cheapest Muppet Movie Ever (or whatever it's called). Ever since I've heard about this idea I've toyed around with my own ideas. It would be set up somewhat like TMM (with characters watching the movie). It goes from the credits being huge and expensive to the ending which would be very cheap (which would be like small replicas of the characters made out of mud). Some clips of the previous Muppet movies would be included (why hire writers when you can just throw in a few clips?). My only problem is, would people actually want to spend money to watch this movie?

--A Greek myth or fairy tale spoof. Now, it doesn't have to be a real myth (yeth?) or tale, but just the general feel (so it's not like Muppet Classic Theater, The Movie!). This way the Muppets can play themselves, and totally mess up Greek mythology or fairy tales. However, this would probably make a better TV special than movie. I just needed another movie (and I think that was the reason behind MTI).

--A Fraggle Rock Movie. Now a FR movie would be great, but there would be a lot of problems in a lot of areas. First, the target audience (I would think that it would be more of the youngin's than those of us who actually grew up with the show), is totally unfamiliar with the show. Also, if you're going to do an international release, then you have the whole "Doc" problem. Do you do different versions with the different "Docs", or do you do one version with one "Doc"? Then we get into the whole area of plot (movies have plots?). Is it a prequel? Do you pick up where the series left off? Do you still have the "Fraggle 5"? However, a FR movie would be pretty cool...

Jeffrey Gray

Reaction score
For a Fraggle Rock movie, I would show how the Fraggles discovered the Rock, the origins of the Gorgs, and why there are only three left, and maybe why the Doozers always work, and what caused them to, etc. Doc and Sprocket would not be involved.

Drum Eater

Reaction score
Wow, if I were in charge of three more Muppet movies I would be in heaven! I'd definitely go with a largely different theme for each movie. Just like The Muppet Movie focuses on Kermit, Muppets From Space on Gonzo, Muppets Take Manhattan on Kermit and Piggy, and Great Muppet Caper on about all of them. Anyway, I like the "Indiana Jones" idea. Kind of like Muppet Treasure Island, except I would involve a lot of newer characters such as Sal. Maybe a movie where the Muppets solve a mystery...there would be so many possibilities!

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
Drum Eater said:
Kind of like Muppet Treasure Island, except I would involve a lot of newer characters such as Sal.
Actually, he is; but, it was before he became Sal.
-------------------------------------------------
I can't believe I hadn't seen this thread before now, and it's been 2 years! Sheesh!

I'm still gung-ho on a movie based either off Pigs In Space or the formation of the Electric Mayhem band.

To further Frogboy's idea above, one thing I always think about when I go to the movies is how big the screen is, and that it's basically as tall and wide as a stage. I figured that it would be cool that when the lights go down in the theater, they go up on the screen to reveal the top of the orchestra pit, the S&W balcony in the top right corner, and TMS Curtain. Off to the left we see a little bit of the backstage area, as if we're seeing past the curtain. Then, full bodied Muppets come onto the stage and perform for us as if we're actually in the audience of TMS.

The Pigs In Space movie would be all about Capt. Link Hogthrob, First Mate Miss Piggy, and Dr. Julius Strangepork. Somewhere in the crew would be Capt. Pighead and Braniac, but there wouldn't be a focus on them. The beginning of the film would start at the space headquarters where it's been learned by the research facility (which includes, Bunsen, Beaker, and Dr. Phil) and their head officers (Kermit, Gonzo, Fozzie) that a powerful force has come from the depths of the universe in order to rape the earth of its resources and make slaves of its people, it's up to the Swintrek's crew to save the world. Throw in elements from past films (cosmic fish, Gonzo's relatives, etc) and an explosive finale, and that's that.

The Electric Mayhem would begin with 5 different vignettes of each member trying to get their gig going, but failing miserably because of who they're with, and each vignette ends with them all showing up at an open-mike nite at some club somewhere, Floyd begins hitting on Janice and talks her into getting on stage with him. Animal is sitting up there at the drums doing some powerful solo work and Dr. Teeth sits in on Piano, followed by hep Zoot. Then , we see their trek as they perform in several venues up to a big band deal where they meet up with a young Clifford and Lips who are in other bands (seperate from one another). The EM band loses out to another band, and they walk off the stage and are approached by Rowlf the Dog who gives them some info about TMS and ultimately shows the EM band going in the back entrance of the Muppet Theater and you hear TMS theme being orchestrated in the background.