Inauguration 2009

penny

Reaction score
I live in England, where the monarchy are still the richest, (with the exception perhaps of Richard Branson, Mohammad Al Fayed and of course Simon Cowell), however they bring in millions for the country. Obama becoming president should be celebrated. It's a milestone in all our histories. Miss Piggy wouldn't want it any other way!:mad:

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Since I'm staying in SF to volunteer for Sketchfest, I went downtown to Civic Center this morning to watch some of the inauguration broadcast on the Jumbotron screen. I saw him get sworn in and make his speech, just to be able to say that I got to hear his voice echo throughout the city of SF, and y'all didn't. :stick_out_tongue:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Obama becoming president should be celebrated. It's a milestone in all our histories. Miss Piggy wouldn't want it any other way!:mad:
Like I said, I agree it's a great milestone. But he should still be treated just like any other politian would be. :smile:

dwayne1115

Reaction score
Do you think it would have been this big if Mcanin won?

My prayer for this nation and the new president is that we get things on track. We have people being laied off of work, but as for people and them buying things. I work at Wal mart, and people will stll come in and buy a lot of things. For the most part it's things they need, but there are still people who are buying things they just want. Someone is getting rich from this spending, and we need to start giving it to the people who are out of a job. I think we need to look at a lot of the things we are getting from over seas, and cutting back on that a lot. Start making things over here, and that will help two things. Get people jobs, and money.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score

My prayer for this nation and the new president is that we get things on track. We have people being laied off of work, but as for people and them buying things. I work at Wal mart, and people will stll come in and buy a lot of things. For the most part it's things they need, but there are still people who are buying things they just want. Someone is getting rich from this spending, and we need to start giving it to the people who are out of a job. I think we need to look at a lot of the things we are getting from over seas, and cutting back on that a lot. Start making things over here, and that will help two things. Get people jobs, and money.
I expect Democratic party donations are funding everything but the oath of office so I suppose the high profile people attending the inauguration festivities are the ones paying for it instead of the taxpayers. I would rather the money go to something else, but the truth is it probably would just sit in the wealthy party contributors' bank accounts. I doubt the grass roots nickel and dime contributors that funded his campaign are paying for the shindigs. McCain's festivities would have been a fraction of the cost, but that is because he'd be just another old white dude that generates little excitement.

This is a truly historic day. My hope is that all the coverage of "firsts" recedes quickly so this country can get up and running again. Some legitimate "brush clearing" that's been needed for so long. It's no secret that I voted for this fellow so I am cautiously optimistic, but the truth is that no matter who'd be taking office the outcome would be anyone's guess. Who knows what the future holds. We'll see if this Hope comes to fruition. :attitude:

ryhoyarbie

Reaction score
No and if a woman had won, say Hilary Clinton, there would be no big hoopla like what's going on now. I doubt the feminist women would come out and say "finally we've won!". I think there would have been some mention of historical significance, but you wouldn't have thousands of people lining in the streets cheering. They would all probably say "the Clinton's are back in the White House. That's nothing new".

Better talk to all of those rich ceos who have been sending jobs overseas for cheap labor in order to make more profit. I doubt they'll make jobs come back here. Perosnally I think the government needs to get more involved in the free enterprise market and force businsesses to bring jobs back here and set the business world in their place. But alas, that would mean the government has turned communist, the very thing the country was fighting from the 40's through 70's.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Better talk to all of those rich ceos who have been sending jobs overseas for cheap labor in order to make more profit. I doubt they'll make jobs come back here. Perosnally I think the government needs to get more involved in the free enterprise market and force businsesses to bring jobs back here and set the business world in their place. But alas, that would mean the government has turned communist, the very thing the country was fighting from the 40's through 70's.
Now that I agree with. People wonder why we have lead in some of the toys sold in the US. That's precisely because US companies and bargain stores have only price points on their minds instead of quality or US employment. Chinese factories underbid one another, pay their workers next to nothing (of course human rights aren't much of an issue over there) and take shortcuts. This = lead in toys! It will keep happening too unless something changes.

Everything is getting outsourced. Of course it is a global economy now and nothing can change that. Nothing should. However there is no balance to it. That must be created and dare I say - legislated.

hoopless

Reaction score
Obama becoming president should be celebrated. It's a milestone in all our histories. Miss Piggy wouldn't want it any other way!:mad:
I'm English and my view as an outsider is that it's great to have Obama as the new president. Yes it's a milestone in the fight for equality, but it's also the end of a bad administration under Bush and I think that is why so many more people paid attention and turned up. It's not all about race though, Obama seems to me to be for the people and hopefully he can make an effective start on his new policies and be a leader deserving of respect from the rest of the world.

dwayne1115

Reaction score
I think for the most part everyone is right. My question is can he really make a difference? I also didn't realize how bad people really almost hatted Bush so much. To me that is kind of suprising, I mean he may have made some choises we did not 100% agree with but he still was the president. Ya know what I mean, I though people should have a little respect. That is just me though.