Introducing the Chipettes: Brittany, Eleanor, and Jeanette!

Drtooth

Reaction score
Spider-man 4 is really supposed to go back to the original comic idea. Sam Raimi listened too much to Sony with the whole Venom tie-in. That was pretty much slapped on and it fragmented the film. I think they'll go with Kraven for 4.
I didn't even bother see Spidey 3 yet. I heard so many bad things about it, I just didn't feel the need to see it. Sony, possibly under pressure from Hasbro and Marvel (a guess), probably threw Venom in there to sell toys. I really think the pacing of the Venom story was better developed, thought out, and executed better in the new Spider-Man cartoon series.

I really have high hopes for the Smurfs. They already started to hype that one up with merchandising (you people behind the Fraggles... YOU LISTENING TO THIS!) exclusive to the US. Remember, the Smurfs are still old standbys in Europe... much like Asterix or Lucky Luke. I wonder if they're going to go back to the original comic idea, or if they're just trying to remake the Hanna Barbera series... or combine the two. I hope for the former. I saw the CGI designs a couple years back... we have nothing to worry about. They look just the way we all remember them. no hybriding (in the case of the Chipmunks here).

Astroboy I'm getting less and less enthused by. I'm glad they finally worked it out and they're getting it to us. But the studio went through some horrendous changes (some of them prevented the making of TMNT II... or, if you prefer 5), and they seem to be Dreamworks Jr. I don't think Gatchaman's gonna happen at all. Especially since they caused both script writers to quit.\

And Shrek 4.... I liked Shrek 3. Liked. It was an alright movie. We didn't need to spend half the film with Puss and Donkey switched up, making the same tired sibling rivalry jokes they did the last movie, All I can see is an excuse for Shrek merchandise again. We'll have another script where Shrek is dealing with something for the first time... Cause he's an Ogre! (yeah, so isn't you're freaking wife who lost her looks to be with you and she isn't throwing a pity party every movie and TV special). Plus, I really think that sort of movie is a step back for Dreamworks, who seemed to get into a great spot with Kung Fu Panda and Monsters Vs. Aliens.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Mmmmhhh... Looks okay, I guess. Looks like Alvin is wearing his signature shirt. The Chippettes look better in animation at any rate. They seem to fit both their cartoon look and the arbitrary "make them real Chipmunks" style of the movie.... It was the Chipmunks' earliest inception... as seen on this old album cover...

Nick22

Reaction score
seems pretty cool. i loved the first one. hopefully it will be pretty cool.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
It looks like Zachary Levi (of TV show Chuck fame) will be taking over most of the screen time as Toby Seville from Jason Lee's Dave. I could be wrong about that. Or maybe that character manages the Chipettes.

I'm on the fence about the new director. The other director was Tim Hill of Muppets From Space and Garfield 2 so past performance doesn't always dictate future quality. The last Chipmunks film was a little more than a guilty pleasure. I smiled a lot in that film. The sequel's director knows her funny from having some classic episodes of early 90s phenomenon Dream On under her belt along with the pilot for the Loop, Private Parts and the Brady Bunch Movie. However, she did also direct I Spy, the Late Shift and will also direct the new Dallas motion picture. We'll see.

I mention direction because with the set of this teaser it seems everything is chipmunk scaled and confuses me a little bit. Will this new film be a departure from the last movie and have a more Chipmunk world feel or will it have the same juxtaposition as the last movie? Also, I heard that the Chipettes were going to be some sort of emo-goth-punk band?

Drtooth

Reaction score
Also, I heard that the Chipettes were going to be some sort of emo-goth-punk band?

They also spread the rumor the Chipettes were to be played by at the moment pop stars, including one that shall remain nameless... Some of this stuff, I swear was spread by people that want to hear people complain about how these things supposedly ruin their childhood. It's scary that 20 and 30 year olds care more about their childhood than most kids today. But i'm not going into that.

The only tiny caveat I have is the fact it's a sequal... and the fact the original plan was to make 3 movies, and put the Chipettes in the third one. Somehow this sounds like fan service. So I'll be on the lookout for that.

I hope this opens up new merchandising venues. Seems like the first film was such a surprise hit, they didn't even bother to have anything other than a soundtrack (every movie has one) and a video game (nowadays, almost every movie has one). As long as they don't look like the movie designs. I remember when the Flintstones came out, the toys and every bit of merchandise looked like the actors. And the McDonald's Inspector Gadget looked like Mathew Broaderick. And if they did make them look like the cartoon, would they be going with the 1950's Alvin design, or the 1980's one?