Its a sad sad day...

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Its a sad day in the neiborhood when you got kids 1-13 not knowing who Fozzie Bear, Animal, The Electric Mahem, Burt, Ernie, Ocar, Scooter, or even Kermit himself. These kids have been deprived of a decent childhood. they have it set in there minds "Puppets are stupid and for babies" I could hurt people who say that! Just today I told off a bunch of Freshmen and Sophmores calming how stupid it was! (They never even heard of the muppet show or any of its brothers) It should be a crime. I get called crazy every day at school for my intrest of puppets (im nick-named the "Muppet Chick", alot of people know me as only that... I guess its not a bad thing...) but have any of you had the same problem!

matleo

Reaction score
I can go you one further...I had that problem when I was in kindergarten..in 1984.....when the Muppets were at the height of their popularity. OK, the difference was that everybody knew who Fozzie, Bert, Ernie, Gonzo, etc. were but they didn't care. I had a lot of kids in Kindergarten and first grade with me who thought Muppets were for babies. But it was weird. As we all grew up, people sort of came back to it...like waking memories and suddenly people came to me and would ask 'What was the name of...." and "what are the lyrics to..." I got real lucky in that around 7th grade one of the 'cool kids' (who was a real nice guy) would wait inside his house every morning for the bus and would end up watching Sesame Street with his little sister. And he took a liking to it. It gave him a connection to his sister and a lot of it made him laugh (this was back maybe a year after Henson died so si itw as real importabnt to the producers to utilize alot of the old sketches). So suddenly my liking it was not 'so weird' Then finally when I was in high school I started building puppets and being in the drama club and started to stand out in a different way and a few folks started to respect that. I mean not everyone. I was never "mr. Cool" but a lot of people started to see that I was serious and that I was following something I believed in and it was 'different' but not in a bad way. There turned out to be quite a few who were happy to see me following a dream and respected that. I remember one young lady who I barely ever talked to in high school, and to this day can only recall one heated, angry exchange with, who later came up to me at graduation and told me how happy she was to see me follow my dream and how I always made her laugh in English class. took me by complete surprise! People didn't necessarily 'get it' but they knew that I was going to be very happy with my life and that I could make others happy too. I dunno. All I rememeber was that there was this point in high school where it got a little easier.
Anyway, my advice is this, don't get angry and don't try to defend it. You can't....not always. People are afraid of things they don't understand. And high school kids like to be cruel and like to see you get upset. They like confrontation. I know this sounds weird but you've got to rise above it. There's an old saying "The best revenge is happiness" and it may sound cliche , but it's true. Sometimes you have to earn their respect before you can get people to listen. Yeah Jamie's renewed interest in SS when we were 13 helped, but it wasn't really until I was 15 and doing theater and building puppets that people saw I was serious and started to pay attention and listen.
I should also say that a lot of the people who look like your biggest adversaries now, may become your biggest supporters in the end. A LOT of the people who ended up encouraging me in the end were people who I DID NOT get along with at first and I had to work hard for their respect...a lot of them I kind of miss a little. So don't count people out just yet. They may surprise you.
Last piece of advice, be greatful for those around you who DO get it and support you and let them know you appreciate that. Teachers, friends, family. Especially teachers. The ones who get it and see it will push you and find a niche for you. They'll help. As for friends and family, I have a support network of both who have become invaluable to me. I wouldn't be where I am now without them. Some of them pushed me ot better to myself cause they knew i could do more and they card and those who didn't push me taught me in other ways. I read something once that said basically that the people we meet and make friends with are there for a reason. There is something we are supposed to learn from them. I've learned from those people and I continue to learn form those people and the examples they've shown me. If you can, it doesn't hurt to meet a few puppeteers too. They can co-miserate. Sadly, we live in a society where puppets are thought of as 'children's fare' and Jim Henson knew that he kind of contributed to that. But puppeteers are good cause they understand. they've been there. It's funny. I have a lot of 'professional firendships' that I like and I try to keep contact with, bur truthfully some of my best friends are non-puppeteers. I don't know why that is. but ya know, just surround yourself with good people and be greatful for them.

I don't know if any of this has helped, or I've just yammered on for a while. Don't let it get you down. All we can do is figure out how to best spend the time that we are given. Enoy!! Live! Love!! Go forward and just become the best person you can. You'll find your circle. you'll find your niche.
Peace, Matt

beaker

Reaction score
Indeed, it is a sad day...

kids these days, weened on their boy bands/MTV, Power Puff, Pokemon, and Spongebob dont see puppets or anything JHC being 'cool'. Heck, perhaps the only sector of society in school to think 'Muppets are cool' are some of the college kids.

Even in the 80's in grade school I would face the same ridicule. I remember in 4th grade the library had these promo posters of Kermit and Piggy, and I wanted one...but the kids thought that was so silly...just the year before I got my Fraggle Rock lunchbox that I Carried around which was cool. Ive been into the Muppets since, geez....before I can even remember...Ive definately been an avid collector since I was 3...so yes, I kno wall about the ridicule. I even still get that from my so claled friends whenever I wear my Muppetshirts.

So it comes and goes...for the older folk I think its more 'hip' and accpeptable...as in someone int heir 20's will say 'hey, cool shirt man, i remember them!' Every time I wear my Muppet shirts I get cool remarks.

I feel bad though for the kids though that were my age back in the day. Yes I loved my Transformers and Star Wars but I loved my Muppets/Sesame/Fraggle just as much if not more.
But bertween Yu Gi Oh cards and other garbage, and the fact the Muppets still dont have that much visability these days, well...

All I can say is stand tall! I got made fun of for wanting to get into puppetry and my love of the Muppets when I was ins chool...just gotta stand tall, ber unique/yourself, and not care what people think...er something like that!^_^

jediX

Reaction score
Even my parents think I'm weird for liking Muppets at this age. I get the same thing for my, lol, near obsession of Star Wars through other people at school.

Super Scooter

Reaction score
I don't think any of us are alone in this. Everyone has at least one person in their life who opposes something they do. I have many of those.

Krazedmuppet

Reaction score
Last night

Last night I was on the phone with my friend who called me a flake! (I stil love em, but it hurt...) and my parents cant figure it out either

Drtooth

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker

kids these days, weened on their boy bands/MTV, Power Puff, Pokemon, and Spongebob dont see puppets or anything JHC being 'cool'. Heck, perhaps the only sector of society in school to think 'Muppets are cool' are some of the college kids.
Funny you should mentionPowerpuff Girls in that, because a lot of Characters and such were inspired by the Muppets or Sesame Street. Weird sort of irony.

But hey, I never did follow the crowd. You gotta like what you like and not care about anyone else! In fact one time on the palisades board I got ridicule for saying I kinda (sorta maybe) like the Goofy, and pretty Dopey "Ultimate Muscle" show. Even though it was strictly on a "camp" level (as in, I know it's corny, but it can be funny sometimes) But still, it's no where near my top 10 of favorite shows. Not even my top 30.

The sad thing about that show, is that it's as close as Americans will ever get to experiance the original 1979- 1983 Kinnikuman Comic Books. I have read some on line, and I must say they are LIGHTYEARS away from the actual show, and they are wildly funny (One comic is abou gaint monsters attaking Earth, so Kinnikuman has to go and fight them, and the monsters switch course so they don't have to battle an idiot like Kinnikuman). It's sort of like something I would do.

But enough about that stuff. It's just funny because now we have this weird phase in our culture in which things from the past come back in 20 year old's T-Shirt form. Once again girls are playing with Strawberry Shortcake and Care Bears, and Boys are plying with G.I. Joes and Transformers. Even the cool Ninja Turtles are coming back. So why NOT like the Muppets as well? I mean they'll always be around, they've always BEEN around (well... as back as the 50's...).

But then, of course, the ill-informed (and obnoxiously oblivious) general public thinks that The Muppets are just Kermit, Piggy, and Elmo, and all they do is teach the Alphabet. That is until AVMMCM.

For the longest time, people didn't even remember who Fozzie and Gonzo were (dispite the fact they are very high profile in terms of Muppets). Now we have Electri Mayheim T-shirts, Bunsen and Beaker candy tins. They are back (in the public eye, anyway), and hopefully are here to stay.

So, wear you're Muppet T-shirts and buttons with pride! Tell 'em Dr. Tooth sendt ya....

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Re: Last night

Originally posted by Krazedmuppet
Last night I was on the phone with my friend who called me a flake! (I stil love em, but it hurt...) and my parents cant figure it out either
ALL my friends think I'm crazy!!! Even the ones who SHARE some of my interests!!!
.....Unlike most people, I

Manda:-D

Reaction score
Re: Last night

Originally posted by Krazedmuppet
ALL my friends think I'm crazy, Krazedmuppet!!! Even the ones who SHARE some of my interests!!!
.....Unlike most people, I never had any point where I decided I'd "outgrown" cartoons and stuff.....So, around 12 years old, when everyone else was too old for stuff like Muppets, I was still really into it!!!! So I was made fun of ALOT back then for that!!!! (Amazingly, though, I was listening to Queen while all the other girls were listening to Hanson....Maybe there IS something wrong w/me!!!! :big_grin:) But, now most of my friends are all riding the little nostalgia trend, & talking a/b all this stuff that *I* was into at 12!!!! Guess I was just ahead of the trend.....:big_grin: But, the IMPORTANT thing is, I was still myself back then, even though it wasn't popular, and I was made fun of for it!!!! And, well....Now I have friends who'll sing Sesame Street & old Disney songs w/me and will act like Ninja Turtles in a skit w/me!!!!! And friends who laugh at me & shake their heads & call me crazy, but, hey, that doesn't matter!!!!

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Awwww, well forget about them. Such uninspired people are going to ask you if you "want fries with that" ten years from now so I wouldn't bother much with them. :wink:

On my first day of Kindergaten (many years ago) I kicked and screamed until my mother let me bring my Fisher Price Miss Piggy puppet to school with me. Hey, I was a hit with the girls and had 2 girlfriends (at the same time) within the first week! Go figure. :stick_out_tongue: Yes, I taugth them how to brush a braid her hair. And yes, I was and still am a very strange kid! :big_grin: