John Denver

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah, a lot of people disagreed with that cutting decision. It mean, the accident was certainly tragic, but he loved flying. People are so sensitive to "not offending" anyone.

zeldazipple

Reaction score
Never heard of John denver?! :O

Well! Yeah John Denver was a very fameous gutatest and folk singer. He did so much for the invroment and released a few albums, and had severial top hit songs. I still like his music I find it to be soothing. Look up his music I'm sure you'll find some that's not Muppet.

Don'tLiveonMoon said:
TONS of albums. :big_grin: He was extremely prolific. I am a HUGE John Denver fan - him and Simon and Garfunkel absolutely top the list for me. I love him because of his joie de vivre - as Mary Travers said, he could sing the phone book and make it sound joyful. I love him for his wholesomeness; he was just such a decent, down-to-earth, guileless, caring guy. I mean, he wasn't perfect, he had his problems, but he was such an incredibly decent human being. And he was a country boy, a nature freak whose music is absolutely filled with a love of the wilderness, of animals, and of good home-grown values. And he did so much for the causes he was passionate about, from helping impoverished children to all of his work on behalf of wildlife. He was a straight-edge nature boy who was never afraid to be himself in an industry that couldn't figure out how he fit in. He kept his integrity to the end. I think he and Jim Henson had a lot in common, and they had a sense of kinship that shows in the work he did with the Muppets. It was a sad, sad day when John Denver died. The world needs more people like him. :halo:
Erin

Vic Romano

Reaction score
My whole family were John Denver maniacs (my dad used to sing "Sunshine On My Shoulder" to me as a lullaby when I was just a little tiny Vic Romano) and quite possibly why they were so supportive and even pushy at times in the development of my Muppet fandom because of all the work he did with Jim.

EDIT: Which made me wonder and even disappointed when that made for TV movie about John's life was made and there was no mention of Jim. :confused: :smirk: :sympathy:

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
My parents used to have John Denver on when I was a baby too, whenever I was crying too much! I think we had the Rocky Mountain Holiday album as a compromise, John Denver for my dad, Muppets for me, lol. Only, I never listened to it as a child, it was "too boring." Now, I'm the only member of the family who listens to it!

I guess the Muppets were not considered immediately vital to the telling of his overal career in documentaries. It's too bad, I would have liked to know why he enjoyed working with them so much.

MrsWembly

Reaction score
Vic Romano said:
my dad used to sing "Sunshine On My Shoulder" to me as a lullaby when I was just a little tiny Vic Romano[/I])
Aww...thats so sweet. My dad use to sing Yellow Submarine to me. (hehe)
:halo:

Skye

Reaction score
MrsWembly said:
“Inch by inch, row by row, gonna make this garden grow. All you need in a rake and a hoe and a place on solid ground.” :flirt:
Talk about a gorgeous song! I love the way he sang this song. I'm a fairly new fan of John's, but I really adore him, and I think he was amazing. I listen to his music a lot. He was such a truly talented songwriter and musician with such a beautiful voice. And most definitely missed.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Whatever said:
Why is John Denver so famous? I've seen some of his Muppet stuff and know how he died, but nothing else, and some people on this board seem to be really attached to him. Did he have any albums on his own? (probably, but hey if you don't ask you don't learn)
Of course he was a musician in his own right. He's was a musician long before The Muppets.

Fragglemuppet

Reaction score
I can do nothing here but second what everyone else said! It's a shame that he became less popular later in life. You know, even though I like most country music, I don't like to consider him country; his music was too prolific, and just sounded and felt different from that.
I enjoyed watching the clip on youtube, and for anyone who doesn't already know about it, you can find the entire Rocky Mountain Holiday album on Muppet Musique in the On the Web section.
I also would like to say for the record that the plane scene in RMH was hilarious! I didn't know they cut it for that reason; it sounds rather unnecessary to me.

Skye

Reaction score
Fragglemuppet said:
You know, even though I like most country music, I don't like to consider him country; his music was too prolific, and just sounded and felt different from that.
And really, I don't think anyone can really put him and his music in just one genre. He was all over the place and did so many different kinds and different styles of music... he did some country, some folk, some rock, etc, etc... pretty much everything. I really like that about him.

I was also surprised to hear about the cut scene from RMH. I read about it, and it did sound really funny, but things like that can be so difficult. If it was his family that wanted it cut (that's what I heard, I believe), then I do understand it.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Yeah he was never really Country, more of a unique mixture of Folk/Rock.