Just Two Green Guys Playing the Banjo...

Foreignman

Reaction score
Well actually one is green, and the other is Greene. Ben Greene, to be exact. That's right folks, I'm going to be embarking on a journey to satisfy a lifelong dream, I'm going to learn to play the banjo!! Ever since I was three years old I've wanted to be like Kermit, and the banjo, because of him, is the one instrument that has ever really interested me. I sung Rainbow Connection at a talent show when I was six, but something was missing from the act. I've always stared in awe at Kermit and his strings in the beginning of the Muppet Movie, I've always craved to play like him. I wanted so badly to accompany my singing with a banjo that talent show day, but it was a dream that would have to go unfulfilled at the time.
Ten years later, at the very beginning of Christmas morn, my dad told me to open the smallest box, “Why don’t you do the best one first” my dad said, obviously excited. It was extremely lite and I couldn’t imagine what it was. I carefully took the wrapping off of the tiny, long, rectangular box, and revealed a petit Bloomingdale’s box. My eyes wandered to my parents’ anxious faces, as I slowly opened the box. The open carton exposed a picture of a banjo, which my mom quickly explained we would have to travel to Baltimore to pick up, where lies the best banjo store in the country! This model has already been bought and sometime in February we will take a road trip to pick it up… I am of course infinitely excited, and thankful to my parents. Now it’s just up to me to learn how to play, and make one dream a reality.
Does anyone else know how to play the banjo, or are currently learning? Has anyone else been inspired by Kermit as I was so many years ago? Has anyone idly thought “I want to play the banjo!”? Hmmmmmmm???

puppetguy

Reaction score
I am a banjo picker, though more inspired by other musicians than by Kermit. I've been playing for 6 years now and its been a lot of fun, though frustrating at the start. The banjo is probably the most difficult instrument to "master." The style of playing that is usually used with Kermit is more like a tenor banjo, the four-stringed version used mainly with early jazz bands as a rythym instrument and played with a flat pick. The more common type of banjo playing is done on a five-string banjo for folk or bluegrass, which is the style I play. I play with a three-fingered, Earl Scruggs, method: using a thumb pick and finger picks on the index and middle fingers. The hard part is learning the different rolls for this kind of playing. But tehre are many books and videos to help beginners. I'm self-taught, so I don't know specifically which to refer you to. But if you have questions, just ask and I'll answer as best I can.
What company made your banjo? Is it a Deering? I have a Ome, which is based out of Colorado and I love it...biggest investment I ever made, but I play out a lot, so it was worth it.
Much luck,
David
PS: You can dowload audio clips of my banjo pickin' on my website: www.allhandsproductions.com. Click on the "CD" link and it'll take you there

Foreignman

Reaction score
Thanks for all the information, visited your site, and I have to give you praise for your playing, as well as those puppets, really amazing. The Banjo I'll be getting is a 5-string Gold Tone "Cripple Creek" CC-100R. Any thoughts on this choice, it's not too late to change... Thanks again for your response.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Very cool, guys--I'm very envious. I'm very un-musical by soul and nature, but I've recently been consumed by the desire to learn how to banjo. It may be the Muppets, it may be my affection for Travis' "The Invisible Band," but I'm loving the banjo lately.

Very very cool.

Quinnnnnnnnn

Joggy

Reaction score
I'd LOVE to be like Kermit and play the banjo... Momentarily I'm a piano man like Rowlf, nothing wrong with that! Speakin' of which, did you know that Rowlf plays the banjo too?

Foreignman

Reaction score
No way! Proove it!!! Old brown ears? Joggy, was Rowlf in any way the inspiration for learning to play the ivories?

p.s. Puppetguy, you have so many amazing puppets and no avatar, I've been known to fix up avatars for some of the fine folks at this site (big Byron for one), if you wanted I'd be happy to set you up with a custom avatar of your own...

puppetguy

Reaction score
Should be noted that the banjo used on "Sing" for the Travis album is actually a 6-string banjo, tuned and played just like a guitar. Mostly its a banjo for guitar players who don't want to learn finger rolls.

The Cripple Creek is a great beginner banjo. GoldTone is a great company. I have one of their Banjolas, a hybrid of a banjo and a mandola (mandolin family). Good luck with it! But don't expect to attract girls with it...heh..You'll soon learn not everybody is a banjo lover.

Is an avatar the graphic that appears with your log-in name?

Glad you like the puppets.
David

Foreignman

Reaction score
Oh good. I'm glad they got a fine model, they must've done their research if it's perfect for beginners. What's that? It's not a good tool for meeting girls!?!?! DARN IT! That was one of the two reasons I wanted it. Wanted to catch me a hog just like Miss Piggy... Oh, and yes, an avatar is the graphic that appears with your log-in name, so if you want one custom, just ask.

DramaQueen86

Reaction score
i'm gald that you people are venturing out into the world and tring new things! i'm really excited, not being sarcastic.

i myself am a saxophone player, alto sax to be correct. however i can play very little on the piano, and i really really really want to learn guitar, and violin. (blue grass runs through my vains!! i kind you not!!!:cool: )

hehe, any way, maybe when ya'll learn the banjo, i'll have my fiddle ready and we can start a band!!!! :big_grin: hehe