1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

Katy Perry song banned from Sesame Street Season 41

Discussion in 'Sesame Street' started by ssetta, Sep 23, 2010.

?

Should Katy Perry's song been cut from Sesame Street?

Yes 29 vote(s) 21.0%
No 109 vote(s) 79.0%

1. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

Not to change the topic here, but Al was interviewed in Muppet Magazine, and he made two guest appearances on the CTW show Square One TV (one of which was a performance of an original song, "Patterns", which was written by somebody else). he would be a good guest for Sesame Street. And most of his material is family friendly (though it seems his last few albums have contained lyrics more adult than he's been known for, but still not too innappropriate for the kids).
  2. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Okay. Let's put this all aside for a second so I can say this. The worst thing that every happened to the Muppets, Sesame or otherwise, is that we could NEVER get these guys together. They NEED to go together. They have to. But on the flip side, look how long it took him to hook up with the Simpsons, even though he mentioned them, and used a sound clip of a Moe/Bart phone conversation, in a couple of his songs.

I agree FULLY. And as someone outside of the US, you have to admit, we look very puritanical in what we expect. We have some of the most PC, anti-violent, prudish standards for our kids and their programming and we idolize scumbags like the Jersey Whores. Snooky has her own line of costumes and bobbleheads. And we DARE talk about morals and ethics in our media? Reality shows are the most dangerous threat to our morals because there's just so much sleaze and muck and mire. Double crossing, double dealing, do anything to stay ahead, and above all, laugh at freaks you're glad you're not. That stuff is sick.

Look at the Tiger Woods thing. We idolized the crap out of him and he does something HUMAN. Same with Mark Maguire. And hypocritically enough we paid more attention to making sure Michael Phelps was the worst person in the world for doing pot, while 90% of Baseball players went years before they were caught doping up. It's not good time Charlie recreational hedonistic stuff... it's to CHEAT.

I'm sorry, but the only morals we NEED to fill our kids with are to play fair, not lie, not hurt anyone, and not to bully others. Yet, when we send these kids out into the real world, they learn that you get ahead by NOT playing fair, lying and cheating, and bullying others... the hurting people is just icing on the cake. That will warp a kid more than Katy Perry's outfit and/or her California Gurls (which INDEED is on Kid's Bop).

Sure, I'm glad we're out of the 3 year olds wearing Playboy Bunny shirts and bumping and grinding before they can walk period. Katy ISN'T one of those artists that tried to get kids to do that. Her outfit is not going to bring back the slutification of little girls. And I'm glad SW stayed away from people like Britney Spears back then. That I object to. if they're physically telling your kids to do something wrong, THEN that's completely inappropriate.

That said, banning the skit is NOT going to stop someone from hiring a sex offender who covered his tracks as a soccer coach, or protect your kid from a passing bullet from a gang member's car. If you want to protect children, go to source of mayhem and evil. Donate to food pantries. Support local schools. Hire disenfranchised youths. Get politically active in trying to get starving kids in bad foreign countries where their kids have REAL problems. That's protecting kids.
  3. Nick22 Active Member

ew. jersey shore. reality shows and the disgusting people that are in them (who are famous for being famous) are congesting the media.

i think that katy perry is a perfectly acceptable example for kids. i mean some parents are just outta their minds. "oh no! they aren't wearing a floor length skirt and a turtle neck sweater! BAD EXAMPLE!"

and do parents think that they're children are never gonna see cleavage? i mean, honestly. it's not gonna kill them. ugh. ridiculous in my opinion. this whole thing.
  4. Jessica Member

5. frogboy4 Inactive Member

Yeah, it is. It's not appropriate for Sesame Street, but it does show that Katy's taking all of this in stride. I love it even though I'm no fan of the boobage. Man, it just shows that she did cover up a lot more than people thought! :eek:
  6. beaker Well-Known Member

Seriously, what is this the Muslim Arab world where women have to be covered up? I saw the outfit, nothing inappropriate...and usually I have a keen eye and ear for things that seem out of place for it's target demographic.

But times change, this isn't the 80's. Remember the way women dressed in kid's shows?(Pee Wee's Playhouse, B-52's videos, etc)
    ****, remember the "Disney kids movie" Roger Rabbit? Holy cow was that dark and adult. Jessica Rabbit would not fly in 2010. And John Lassetter completely redid the classic late 80's Pixar short "Knick Knacks" because of the girl's cleavage. It's like woman have breasts. Unless they are rail thin like a model, they have boobs. We haven't turned into a fundamentalist nightmare country ran by Sharia law yet.

Seriously, I have a hard time seeing how even a religiously conservative parent could be outraged by Katy Perry's outfit. Methinks it has more to do with the fact she had a song about kissing a girl, and we all know nothing more evil in America than themes of being gay.
  7. beaker Well-Known Member

So let me get this straight...pro war propaganda Sesame specials where Elmo and Rosita's dad get wounded blowing up people=ok.
    Katy Perry=bad. Hmmm, yeah...ok

I agree...IF the dress was too revealing or if the song was filled with inappropriate inunendos. Maybe I'd have to hear the original song, but I didn't hear any inuendo stuff.

Only reason I can see banning the clip is it has Elmo, whom I consider unfit for humans of any age

The Dutch Sesame Street had adults bathing nude with kids from what BlueFrackle and other Sesame fans have told ,e. So thankfully we've come a long way from that
  8. beaker Well-Known Member

Anyone remember how the Republicans in Washington tried to get rid of Sesame Street and public broadcasting?

I'd refuse to work with Elmo, for me it's allll about Telly, Murrah, Ovejita, Hoots, and heck I even like Abby for all practical purposes

why? Forget that, censorship through altering scenes is worse.
    Look how Steven Spielberg removed certain words and digitally altered guns into walkie talkies in ET. I mean, that's just ridiculous.
  9. Drtooth Well-Known Member

I was not going to play this card. But I'm GLAD someone did. Hey. We have the same fundamentalist values as the same people we've been hotwired to hate, don't we?

If "I Kissed a Girl and I Liked It" was a reason for the complaints, I want SS to air the skit completely and utterly, and TWO times this season. There is NOTHING I hate worse than parents who say "Don't teach this stuff to my kid! I wanna push MY prejudice and hatred I got handed down" and strangely resemble Biff Tannen that you see pulling books from libraries.

To the person who said Jim and Joe would be rolling in their graves for the inclusion of Katy Perry... okay, Jim was pretty flirtatious, and he was a bit artistic/bohemian so he would no doubt say that's AOK. And Joe... he did the theme song to Three's Company. You KNOW what I'm talking about. But I'll be nwarffed if implying Muppets going off to war isn't the most offensive thing SS has ever done, even if they were trying to do good by it.

You can apparently do that in EVERY OTHER country except for the US. Heck, certain places people of the same gender have public baths and bathe together and no one thinks anything wrong about it. But hey, American culture... there's a difference between modesty and introversion.

And here's the worst part that NO ONE seems to be getting.

Combine this with the bad press from the Fox News flap and whatever other things some yutz can complain about (I swear Tea Party people are going to get insulted over the veggie protest bit)... Sesame Street WILL start to repress itself, leading to finding subject matter kids need is a little too bold and risky, and certain guests they'll steer clear of. Ladies and gentlemen, Sesame Street is a bold show. We showed breast feeding and mentioned DEATH. You can't even say someone got killed in an action cartoon. We had Richard Pryor on the show... We had the Simpsons on the show when the PTA was whining about how realistic Bart was. And no 4 year olds grew up to drop cherrybombs in the toilet. You're not going to have your boys turn into Quagmire, and your girls aren't going to dress any wilder than they did 5 years ago when we were hotwiring them to become little ho's and NO ONE pulled Bratz off the shelves. Guy who created them looked like a dirty old man anyway.

And freaking California Gurls is on Kid's Bop and NO ONE complained.
  10. Oscarfan Well-Known Member

Well, they probably changed the lyrics for it. "Time Warp" from Rocky Horror appeared on their Halloween album from a few years ago, and changed some lines ("But it's the pelvic thrust" became "But it's the way you shake it" :/).
  11. mbmfrog Active Member

12. mr3urious Well-Known Member

How funny that you mentioned that. I actually found one of said videos and added it to TV Tropes on the "Others" section of the "Values Dissonance" page.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/ValuesDissonance/Others

I don't really find this any more "sick" than giving them a hug. Neither do I find Katy Perry's sketch any more "sick" than if she dressed conservatively.
  13. beau New Member

I'm glad they pulled it. My disappointment with SW is for even spending valuable cash on that fraud of a "singer" to begin with.

I disapprove of the cleavage as well (and I'm hardly a religious conservative - quite the opposite, actually), but that has nothing to do with it for me. I simply don't like Katy Perry as a person. I have my reasons.
  14. frogboy4 Inactive Member

I think I know why. She's a mixed bag and I just can't help but enjoy her and her husband too. What a fantastic couple and both seem well suited for Muppet work. Well, maybe more the Muppet Show characters than Sesame Street.

Also, Katy Perry is the voice of Smurfette in next year's feature film. Not sure how I feel about that whole project, but it's bound to have a fun Perry song on the soundtrack.
  15. SJohnson Member

Katy's new puppet pals

From Elmo to Homer.

Check it out, Katy Perry is guest staring on the Simpsons - and the Simpsons are puppets!

The puppet segment was produced by The Chiodo Bros, and directed by Stephen Chiodo.

Swazzle made all the puppets, and cast the puppeteers.

Puppeteers: Sean Johnson, Patrick Johnson, Artie Esposito, Russ Walko, Brett O'Quinn.

You'll have to wait until December to see the whole segment, but in the mean time enjoy this first sneak peak.

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/09/25/katy-perry-the-simpsons-exclusive/

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

S :excited:
  16. mbmfrog Active Member

Why do I get the bad feeling that this is truly turning into an ugly fight that no one wants ? :(

Also, how original of the Simpsons to be doing this idea. :wisdom:
  17. mbmfrog Active Member

Sorry for Double posting, but it feels like saying something when you know something like this goes too far...when the Cast of Jersey Shore do a mock version of Sesame Street on the Jimmy Kimmel show.:eek:

I can't show it to you all since it too much for some people, but they had an article on it. I guess it goes to show when stuff like this can go TOO FAR!
  18. Drtooth Well-Known Member

Off topic... but you know who would have been perfect for Smurfette's voice? Leslie Cararra. I know there's no star power there, but it really seems her Abby voice and Lucile Bliss's Smurfette voice have that same raspy, pixyish lilt to it.

That said, if we EVER get a new Muppet show, I wanna see her as one of the guests. And parody this whole idiotic flap with having Sam follow her all over the place and censor everything she does.

Ohhh... man, if we're going the "I don't like the guest and glad it's banned" route, I'd say pull half the Word on the street people who acted like preschool show= baby show. And Elizabeth from the View. Not politically, mind you. The association with Survivor bugs me. Heck, fact that she's only popular because she's been on that show irks me. Man, I could list all the people I had problems with over the years, but I can barely remember anyone objectionable.

That said, I like her fine... her stuff's a step up from the pop slop we usually get, but I think Gaga's the master of the medium. I'd LOVE Gaga to be on SS... too bad this flap's gonna make them think twice about it. She needs to be on the show wearing a coat of Elmo dolls. Or leftover monster Muppet fur.

Oh. Thought of one. Feist. Really... that's what we call music? It sounds like stuff that plays in an elevator at a morgue. Guitars are MEANT to be electric. God Made Rock and Roll for You! None of this fake 70's style singer/songwriter stuff that's so independent that it's already been in 5 car commercials. These guys aren't fit to spit shine Paul Simon's shoes.

Heck, why don't they get Paul Simon again?
  19. Beauregard Well-Known Member

And why do you think THAT is! Because kids see people wearing things like that on tv! You keep saying that it's nothing that you wouldn't see while walking down the street, well, I ask you, does it encourage or discourage that kind of behaviour when it turns up on Sesame Street?
  20. minor muppetz Well-Known Member

You know, I started wondering if they'd make any jokes regarding the incident on last night's Saturday Night Live, and then I heard that Katy Perry was the music guest... This irony is a bit too good to be true (not to mention the fact that this controversy happened a week before the season premiere of Sesame Street). I didn't watch SNL last night (I prefer 1975-1980 and 1988-1994 SNL), but I'll have to find some Hulu clips.