Kermie's Girl (ushy-gushy fanfic)

Java

Reaction score
Yay! New chapter!

Yay! Wonderful show and it really makes me miss doing amateur theater!

Yay! Robin, Scooter and Sarah, Sal and Johnny, Janice and Floyd!

Yay! Everything!

MORE PLEASE!!

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 27: Christmas Present is Here Today

“And then Scooter and Sara came waltzing out of the girls room, too,” Rizzo complained to Clifford. Clifford started to say something, but Rizzo cut him off again as the ladies began to file out.
“How come he gets to come in?” Rizzo asked indignantly. “First Piggy’s pet dressmaker, then Pepe and now Scooter—how come everybody and their brother-in-law gets to come in and I had to move out?”
“Oh, keep your shorts on!” Gloria Jean said impatiently.
“I’m not wearing any!” Rizzo snapped. Gloria Jean stopped and put her hands on her hips, looking down at him ruefully.
“Well go put some on!”
“Says who?”
“Well I’m not going dancing with a guy who isn’t wearing shorts.”
“I don’t care if you—wh-what?”
Gloria Jean gave him a look. “I’ll speak slow,” she said, “and use words of one syllable. If you want to take me out after the show, make nice. Put shorts on and we’ll go dancing.” She gave him a coy glance. “I’m going to make nice,” she said archly. Rizzo kept his jaw from falling open with effort.
“Um, er, that would be, gosh, um—“
“Come by for me after the show,” Gloria Jean said, breezing past the dazed rat. “And if you can dig up one of your little friends, I’ll make Laura May come too.”
Rizzo stood in stunned silence for a good two minutes after Gloria Jean had wafted by in a cloud of baby powder and perfume. He looked around quickly to see if he was being made fun of, but there was no lurking camera-man to burst his bubble. Rizzo looked up. “Thank you!” he squeaked to the heavens. “I won’t forget this!” Mabel peeked her head out of the kitchen and smiled, watching him go. “Go get ‘em, tiger,” she murmured to herself.

When the lights came back up on stage, there was only Rowlf and the piano. Quietly, he played, his fingers caressing the keys. He opened his mouth and sang.
“Christmas future is far away. Christmas past is past. Christmas present is here today, bringing joy that may last…” Zoot, Lips, Clifford and Animal appeared beside their instruments as though conjured and began to play along.
Kermit joined him onstage, now wearing tuxedo pants, a crisp white shirt and a festive yuletide vest. He walked over and leaned on the piano.
“Have yourself a merry little Christmas—let your heart be light,” he sang. Piggy joined him onstage, changed yet again, and her gloved hand reached for his.
“From now on our troubles will be out of sight,” she added. Robin came onstage, dressed like Kermit, and stood contentedly between them.
“Have yourself a merry little Christmas,” Gonzo sang, walking on with Camilla. She wasn’t gazing at him fondly, but she wasn’t rigid anymore. Gonzo took it as a good sign and dared slip his arm around her shoulders as they stood clustered around the piano.
“Make the yuletide gay,” Scooter sang. Sara held tight to Scooter’s hand, her face a little flushed, but they made it safely across stage to join the others.
“From now on our troubles will be miles away…” crooned Johnny, entering stage left like he was supposed to. Backstage, Sal heaved a sigh of relief and allowed himself to sit down. Suddenly. Right where he was.
“Here we are as in olden days,” Fozzie sang tremulously.
“Happy golden days of yore," added Dr. Teeth.
“Faithful friends who are dear to us gather near to us once more,” Floyd sang in his soulful, raspy voice. “Yeah, like, rully,” Janice intoned. By this time, the entire cast was onstage.
Kermit took the song back over. Through the years we all will be together—if the Fates allow.”
“Hang a shining star upon the highest bough!” sang Robin, his young voice high and clear.
“And have yourself a merry little Christmas, now…” everyone sang together. The audience let out a little sigh of pleasure.
“Through the years we’ll always stay together,” the muppets sang, voices blending beautifully, “if the Fates allow. We know that we’ll be then the way that we are now…”
“So have yourself…” sang Piggy.
“Yes, have yourself…” insisted Dr. Teeth.
“Please have yourself…” Fozzie beseeched the audience.
“Yes, please,” Kermit said, looking out into the audience. “Please have yourself a merry little Christmas …now….”
Even before the last notes had died away, the audience was on it’s feet, clapping and cheering deafeningly. They continued to stomp and clap for some time. In the back, Scribbler found himself clapping furiously along with the crowd, and immediately ceased. He scowled, stuffed his hands into the pockets of his trench coat and stalked out of the auditorium.
On stage, Kermit beamed at the cast, at the audience, at Piggy and Robin, who stood closest to him. At last, when the sound did not abate, Kermit relented and leaned forward to consult with Rowlf. The audience howled its approval and began climbing back into their seats. Seeing this, the remaining members of the EM rapidly took their instruments and waited, eyes shining, for the word from Kermit.
“Wow, thanks for being such a super audience,” Kermit said. “I guess we’ve got time for one more song.” He looked at Rowlf, who looked to the other musicians, and they launched into “Silver Bells.” Admittedly, it was a little more hard-rocking than was typical for this song, what with Animal on the drums and the EM putting everything they had into it, but the audience loved it just the same. Finally, after another round of thunderous applause, the audience let them go, grumbling happily all the way out the double doors on either side.
It was over, it was done. It had been an unequivocal success. Kermit thought he might go home and sleep for a week.
But that’s just because he didn’t have a crystal ball.

green stuff

Reaction score
Wow!!! This is just--so interesting! Darn that Scribbler! I wonder what he's up to now? OH, and everyone singing at the end- that was just so precious, and the EM, and the crystal ball--ok, obviously, I'm blabbering on, but that's only because I'm absolutely speechless. This is great!!!!! MORE PLEASE!!!!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
You little trickster you Ru...

Oh, how great was that. No, don't answer, you know how great it was.
"Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" sung by the entire cast. Blew me away. And what's more, loved how you brought in everybody individually and in pairs. Hope Camilla's softened towards that weirdo of hers. Yaey! *Waves for Scooter and Sara!
Gloria Gene setting up a double date for her and Laura May with Rizzo and a fellow rat? Oh, Yolanda'll definitely give him a piece of her mind when he gets back if she hears what happened. Then again, why should she hear about it? Like Pepe said, what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas hokay.
And I was even touched by the rockin' version of "Silver Bells" at the end.

Laughed for a moment to find Scribbler clapping along with the performance, especially when he stopped and thrust his hands into his coat's pockets before walking away.

Oh, please... Tell us there's more, and please post it soon.

Ruahnna

Reaction score
Chapter 28: Sufficient Unto the Day

Backstage, everyone had gathered around Kermit. He hopped up on one of the colored cubes from the Dream Girls number and surveyed his cast and crew. Their eager faces were upturned to his, waiting for his approval.
“Can I just say what a great show you guys pulled off? I cannot tell you how much I appreciate all the hard work of everyone.” His gaze included Sara, and Mabel and Thoreau as well as the usual suspects. “It’s been a while since we’ve done anything like this, and I have to say that I was really amazed at how easily this came together. Knock wood.”
More than thirty hands rapped the nearest wooden surface, and everybody smiled, then laughed.
“It’s late,” Kermit said. “Go home. Go out. Get the heck out of my sight!” he teased, “but be here tomorrow morning—“
This was greeting with a cacophony of groans.
“—at eleven o’clock to go over show notes and reviews.” He smiled at everyone. “Goodnight, everybody—thanks for everything.”
Murmuring, people began to move away.
“Um, Rizzo, Pepe—a word with you, please?”
The two diminutive cast members looked at each other in alarm and consternation.
“That little snitch!” Rizzo muttered, incensed.
“Si, si—he ratted us out!”
“Hey—watch your mouth! Rodent American over here!”
“Si, h’okay. Touchy, touchy. Keep jour shorts on, h’okay?”
They approached Kermit cautiously.
“You, um, wanted to see us?” Rizzo said, trying to keep the quaver out of his voice.
“Si—jou rang, Kermin?”
“Um, yeah. I wanted to talk to you about a couple of things—“
“Hit was his fault!” Pepe cried. “Hi was chust minding my own business, h’okay, when Rizzo, he says, ‘Ooh, Pepe, let’s h’spy on the girls and—“
“Hey! Don’t be putting this on me,” Rizzo said. “I got no intention of taking the rap for—“
“Hold it! Hold it, guys! What are you talking about?”
Rizzo and Pep exchanged startled glances, then stepped closer to each other to present a more united front. “Um, nothing.”
“Si, si. Nothing, Kermin.”
Kermit gave them a skeptical look, but then the little bulb went off. “Oh,” he said, smirking. “The dance practice this morning. Yeah, heh, heh. Scooter told me. Sorry I missed it.” Piggy would have put them all to shame, he thought smugly. “Um, look, I’m not telling if you’re not telling. I wanted to talk to both of you about the show.”
Rizzo sighed. “Okay—tell me what I did wrong.”
“No. No, Rizzo, nothing was wrong. You did a great job on the songs you’re in. I wanted to know if you’d like to expand your role in the show—maybe do another song with us in the second half, something musical?”
Rizzo looked surprised, then pleased. “Um, I have been working on this thing with Fozzie and Zoot and Rowlf.” he said uncertainly. “I think we could pull something together….”
“Well think about it some more, okay?” Kermit said, smiling. “When you feel ready, let me know. You don’t have to do this if you don’t want to—put together something and let me see it. When you’re ready, we’ll try to work you in.”
“Gee—thanks, Kermit. I don’t know what to say.”
“Say goodnight. I’m bushed.” He turned to Pepe, who had been staring at him with hopeful eyes.
“Pepe, you’ve done a good job behind the scenes. If you still want to do a salsa dance, I’ll try to work you in.”
“Si—ju mean it?”
“Sure. But I want to see it before I give the final okay.”
Pepe threw his arms around Kermit and squeezed him tight. Being hugged tightly by someone with four arms was a lot like getting a hug from Piggy when she was determined. The thought made him smile, and look for her. As if he’d conjured her up just by thinking of her, Piggy strolled over to him and linked her arm with his, laying her glossy head upon his shoulder.
“All done?” she asked.
“Until tomorrow.”
She kissed him on the cheek and nestled her golden hair against his shoulder. “It was good, wasn’t it?” she asked quietly.
“Yeah,” said Kermit. “I think it was really good.”
Piggy was quiet for a moment. “Do you think the reviews….”
Kermit turned suddenly and kissed her, cutting off whatever she’d been about to say.
“Sufficient unto the day,” said Kermit when he had breath for talking. Tentatively, Piggy smiled.
“Let’s hope so.”

“Miss Vines? Mr. Grosse? Might I have a word with you two before you leave?”
Sara looked positively petrified, and Scooter looked nervous but just a little baffled.
“Well,” Howard said, giving Sara a gentler look than she expected. “If you’re going to fall, Sweetheart, you need to do it just a little more gracefully.”
“If I’m going to—wh-what?” Sara squeaked.
“The fall, honey. They liked it. It was cute. It just needs a little polish.”
“Really?” Sara said hopefully. “You’re not kicking me out of the show?”
“Not even close—you have to screw up really bad to get kicked out of our show and you didn’t even come close. But, if we’re going to make that look like it was supposed to happen….” He trailed off, his chin in his hand. “Scooter—can you catch her and toss her back on demand?”
“Sure—I’m pretty strong,” Scooter said immediately. Sara gave him a hard look and he gulped. “Um, I, um, mean, um, Sara’s easy to toss—she’s light as a feather.” He leaned in quickly and pecked her on the cheek.
“Nice try,” Sara muttered, only partly mollified.
“Good,” said Howard, leaving them to it. “We’ll work on it tomorrow.” He strode off looking for Gonzo.

Backstage was quiet. The performers had all wafted out into the night air by the time Thoreau gathered up the items that needed attention or repair and placed them in the waiting basket next to his machine. He poked his head into the kitchenette as he went past, saw Howard, and stopped.
“Thank heavens that’s over,” Thoreau said, flinging himself into an empty chair. Howard looked up from the plate of carefully-wrapped edibles and smiled.
“Till tomorrow night.”
“Don’t remind me,” Thoreau said, putting his hands over his eyes. He was careful not to rub—rubbing can give you premature age lines. “Although, most of my work is done. I’ll just be a consultant from here on.”
“That’s what I always think,” said Howard, sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of green tea and a sandwich that might have been watercress. “But it never works out that way.” He sighed, playing with the cellophane but not actually liberating the sandwich. “Thanks for all your help—I don’t know what I would have done without another sane person backstage. This crowd is soooo unruly.”
Thoreau smirked at him. “Try dressing divas for a living,” he said wryly.
“No thank you—I have my hands full just trying to rein in the dancers.”
“This has been fun and educational, and I’m glad Piggy asked me, but I don’t think I could do what you do for a living,” Thoreau said honestly. He stretched his hands and feet out in front of him and popped his neck carefully. “My hands are sooo cramped from all that handwork, and my back hurts from hunching over the machine. I’m a wreck, but I’m too keyed up to sleep.”
“I know what you mean. I’m so tense I’d snap if I bent over to tie my shoes.” Howard commiserated. “But when I was doing shows, we’d practice all day, do the show and then hit the clubs and dance half the night.”
“Oooh,” said Thoreau. “Doesn’t that sound nice! I haven’t been dancing in a long time!”
Howard continued to play with the sandwich. “Yeah,” he sighed. “Some of the girls are going to a little club down the strip that’s open until four. They said anybody’s welcome.”
“Really?” Thoreau’s voice was just a tad wistful.
Howard looked up in surprise, then back at the sandwich. “Um, yeah, and they serve some vegetarian entrees at the bar. Do you want to go? ”
Thoreau stood up suddenly. “Let me go, um, comb my hair and change my shirt.”
“Great,” said Howard. “I’ll just finish my tea.”

Leyla

Reaction score
Oooh!!! You made it to the end of the show!!! That's great! I bet it feels good! I spent a fair chunk of yesterday watching Muppet Family Christmas, so that mass sing of Have yourself a Merry Little Christmas really got be smiling.

Gosh... wouldn't you just love to go to this show? I mean, it sounds so great!

Ruahnna said:
“And then Scooter and Sara came waltzing out of the girls room, too,” Rizzo complained to Clifford. Clifford started to say something, but Rizzo cut him off again as the ladies began to file out.
Hah!!! Great start off with poor Rizzo complaining up and down about the injustice of it all! Love him calling Thoreau Piggy's pet dressmaker.

Gloria Jean gave him a look. “I’ll speak slow,” she said, “and use words of one syllable. If you want to take me out after the show, make nice. Put shorts on and we’ll go dancing.” She gave him a coy glance. “I’m going to make nice,” she said archly. Rizzo kept his jaw from falling open with effort.
“Um, er, that would be, gosh, um—“
<giggles> Love how she turned the tables on him there. That'll cheer him up. Patience is rewarded after all!

“Thank you!” he squeaked to the heavens. “I won’t forget this!” Mabel peeked her head out of the kitchen and smiled, watching him go. “Go get ‘em, tiger,” she murmured to herself.
<laughs> That's very cute! Love Mabel cheering him on.

When the lights came back up on stage, there was only Rowlf and the piano. Quietly, he played, his fingers caressing the keys. He opened his mouth and sang.
Love the quiet start!

“Have yourself a merry little Christmas—let your heart be light,” he sang. Piggy joined him onstage, changed yet again, and her gloved hand reached for his.
<giggles> She's gotta be the world's best quick change artist by now.

“From now on our troubles will be out of sight,” she added. Robin came onstage, dressed like Kermit, and stood contentedly between them.
<happy sigh> I'm gonna have to go watch MFC again I think. I love Robin... between Lisa and yourself Ru, my affection for the little guy is growing in froggy leaps and bounds!

“Have yourself a merry little Christmas,” Gonzo sang, walking on with Camilla. She wasn’t gazing at him fondly, but she wasn’t rigid anymore. Gonzo took it as a good sign and dared slip his arm around her shoulders as they stood clustered around the piano.
Keep trucking Gonzo! You'll win her over eventually!

“From now on our troubles will be miles away…” crooned Johnny, entering stage left like he was supposed to. Backstage, Sal heaved a sigh of relief and allowed himself to sit down. Suddenly. Right where he was.
<giggles> I love the hard time Johnny's been giving Sal, his own personal fanboy!

“Hang a shining star upon the highest bough!” sang Robin, his young voice high and clear.
<tries and fails to repress a Robin gush> So sweet and perfect. Boy, I wish I could watch this show...

“And have yourself a merry little Christmas, now…” everyone sang together. The audience let out a little sigh of pleasure.
<does likewise> Have I said yet that I love this audience? I do... they're a great bunch.

“So have yourself…” sang Piggy.
“Yes, have yourself…” insisted Dr. Teeth.
“Please have yourself…” Fozzie beseeched the audience.
“Yes, please,” Kermit said, looking out into the audience. “Please have yourself a merry little Christmas …now….”
I love the different descriptors here, particularly Fozzie's. i can picture him saying that so clearly.

In the back, Scribbler found himself clapping furiously along with the crowd, and immediately ceased. He scowled, stuffed his hands into the pockets of his trench coat and stalked out of the auditorium.
<boos Fleet> Trouble a-brewing...

“Wow, thanks for being such a super audience,” Kermit said. “I guess we’ve got time for one more song.” He looked at Rowlf, who looked to the other musicians, and they launched into “Silver Bells.” Admittedly, it was a little more hard-rocking than was typical for this song, what with Animal on the drums and the EM putting everything they had into it, but the audience loved it just the same. Finally, after another round of thunderous applause, the audience let them go, grumbling happily all the way out the double doors on either side.
Ah, I enjoyed this muchly. It tickles me no end when the EM puts a rocking spin on an easy going song. "Tenderly" in the first season is one of my favorites.

It was over, it was done. It had been an unequivocal success. Kermit thought he might go home and sleep for a week.
But that’s just because he didn’t have a crystal ball.
Oooh! <shivers> You've certainly got the art of suspense down to a tee... whatever that means. Great work, is what I mean! Hugs!

The Count

Staff member
Reaction score
That was a good addition.

Laughed out loud when Rizzo and Pepe started cursing each other, thinking Kermit found out about them spying on the dance practice... Which he did, Scooter told him... Or did he? Eh...
Rully liked how Kermit's generous enough to try and fit in both Rizzo and Pepe in bigger numbers in the show itself.

Corrections.
1 "This was greeting with a cacophony of groans."
Should be "greeted" instead.
2 "Rizzo and Pep exchanged startled glances"
Should be "Pepe", the second "e" in his name's missing.
Oh, just reread it to find the lines... Yeah, looks like Scooter blabbed.

Also, found the line where Howard's talking to them about the fall...
Howard: “Scooter—can you catch her and toss her back on demand?”
“Sure—I’m pretty strong,” Scooter said immediately. Sara gave him a hard look and he gulped. “Um, I, um, mean, um, Sara’s easy to toss—she’s light as a feather.” He leaned in quickly and pecked her on the cheek.
“Nice try,” Sara muttered, only partly mollified.
Funny... Liked the little nod to that duo.

And... *Carefully... Am I supposed to get some sort of connection from that last part with Thoreau and Howard?
*Leaves it alone. Great stuff Ru, please... Post more!

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
My single favorite line: "Sorry I missed it."

That was pretty much the last thing I read before going off to dutifully clean the bathroom. Let me tell you, I have never laughed so much while cleaning the bathroom.

Now I've read the whole thing and I love the whole thing and MORE PLEASE!