1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Kermit, Jack Black, Celebrities, People...

Discussion in 'Classic Muppets' started by Hubert, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

Watching "The Muppets" today, I have to raise the question: am I the only one who thinks it is so un-Kermit like for him to be OK with the kidnapping of Jack Black after a few minutes? I mean, I would think that it would take more for Kermit to agree than a "We all agreed that a celebrity is not a people" or a "we need to do this to save the show"...we know Kermit's morality to be better than that.
  2. heralde

heralde Well-Known Member

Well he didn't seem to mind the Muppets kidnapping John Cleese back in the day, lol.
  3. Yuna Leonhart

Yuna Leonhart Well-Known Member

And they were short of a celebrity host and the telethon was about to begin in just ten minutes. So... when in doubt, kidnap a celebrity :p
    Dominicboo1 and Muppet fan 123 like this.
  4. Drtooth

Drtooth Well-Known Member

That's why I felt the Jack Black portion of the movie had that classic feel. Just the parallel to the John Cleese episode. it's almost a shame it was done exclusively for the movie. If they ever have another TV show, they need to get Jack back and make sure he's not willing (in show of course) to work with them again.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  5. D'Snowth

D'Snowth Well-Known Member

Or make fun of Leif Garrett.
    Muppet fan 123 likes this.
  6. Vincent Liu

Vincent Liu Well-Known Member

Unless they release him after the event.
  7. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

It's been a while since I saw the John Cleese episode, but using my recollection, I had always assumed that John agreed to do the show (his contract is even mentioned for it), and then once he got there, he realized what he got himself into, and tried to leave, but then they held him hostage, rather than a straight out kidnapping.
  8. heralde

That's true, John wants to back out because he his contrast had a no pigs clause. So yeah it was more of a hostage situation, but Kermit was definitely participating, particularly during the closing number, lol.

Muppet Show Kermit could get a little desperate when it came to making sure the show went on, lol. In general the characters on Muppet Show were a bit jaded and desperate, the way struggling actors would be. It wasn't until the movies that they really got into being more sentimental and poignant.
  9. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

But anyway, my problem was that I would has rather seen a situation set up where the Muppets find some worthless guest star, but the others really kidnap Jack Black and Kermit finds out a few minutes prior and has no choice. I just didn't care for how he lickety split changed his mind in a few short seconds...it just seemed too unnatural.
  10. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I kind of like how the movie balanced sentimental and muppety chaos...and this was a good example of it....kermit caves because in the end you have to be crazy to be in charge of those people (puppets)
    heralde likes this.
  11. Muppet fan 123

Muppet fan 123 Well-Known Member

I guess he kinda realized that if he didn't allow them to "briefly inconvenience" Jack Black, then they would all have to split up and go back to their separate ways..

It's a good question though, it does seem a little un-Kermit-y. Although there is a whole bunch of stuff in that movie that seems out of character for Kermit in this movie. (I think Kermit will return to the way we always knew him and loved him in the next movie, he even spoke about how the new movie was a little out of his character on the Empire Podcast when he was on with Pepe.
    Do check that episode out by the way. ;) )

Anyway, you can't dig too deep with the Muppets. A lot of things don't make sense entirely anyway. (I can write up a whole list if ya want.)
  12. heralde

I really think it depends on which project you're comparing it to.
  13. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

And I think the complete opposite. Kermit was back to being the Kermit I missed all those years!!! At least IMO.
    heralde likes this.
  14. MrBloogarFoobly

MrBloogarFoobly Well-Known Member

Kermit supports kidnapping, so long as no one gets hurt, or at least, as long as it's really funny.
    heralde likes this.
  15. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

Kermit's only human (or, well, no) but he's not perfect. If he was, he'd be a Disney character and not a flawed Muppet realistic character. Remember when he used to get stressed and yell at people?
  16. miss kermie

miss kermie Well-Known Member

Used to? :p
  17. Beauregard

Well, did you see the clip from WWE lately when that Fighter-Talk-Show host was really pressuring him. It was weird to see him squirm so much without actually panicking or exploding or anything. He seemed like he was trying to be diplomatic. Poor frog.
  18. Pinkflower7783

Pinkflower7783 Well-Known Member

It's okay Kermit we all still love you!!! :)
    miss kermie and Beauregard like this.
  19. Hubert

Hubert Well-Known Member

And so Pinky persuades us and convinces us that Kermit is actually reading this thread...

HI KERMIT!
    Muppet fan 123 and Vincent Liu like this.
  20. Beauregard

Hey Kermit, so how to you really feel about that big friend? *insert typical annoying reporter question here*