1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Kermit Replica Assistance Needed!

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by SesameStMuppets, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Hey everyone,

I'm currently working on a play for my college that I wrote about Jim Henson. The script calls for Mahna Mahna, Ernie, and two Kermits.

Mahna Mahna and Ernie are relatively easy... I just finished Mahna Mahna today - pictures coming soon! - and I'm on to Ernie next.

I'm curious, though, about Kermit. I know to use the Alternate Body Pattern from ProjectPuppet [link below]; but does anybody have patterns for the head and arms?

I've seen a lot of great replicas of Kermit before, so I'm hoping someone has a clue!

Please and thank you :)

http://www.projectpuppet.com/-strse-19/Simple-Series-Alternate-Body/Detail.bok
  2. charlie bird

charlie bird Member

Here is the stuft animal pattern I found it on puppet planet,but I haven't tried it[​IMG]
  3. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

the glorified sock puppet pattern from puppet project works
  4. Here's my first [ever] go at Kermit:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52568285@N07/

I kinda combined the two versions of the pattern you all suggested and made my own modifications. I'm not thrilled with the way he came out. Here are my problems with it:

- Too long a neck
    - Too short a collar
    - Too wide a mouth
    - The eyes are WAY too far down his head

I'm really trying to make him look accurate... any more critiques? :o
  5. I actually quite like your Kermit. It's recognizable as Kermit, while still looking stylized and would work well for a play. But if you really wanna go for as indenticle as possible, from memory, if you print this one out on A4, it's pretty good.
  6. Frogpuppeteer

Frogpuppeteer Well-Known Member

i have to say im a fan of your kermit as well i just like the way he looks
  7. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

Seriously, I would go for it! I think the audience would really enjoy it, I think he's great............though may I suggest legs? :)
  8. Thanks everyone for your support! There are a few things I want to change, but my final will be pretty true to my prototype...

I'm not adding legs as the show I wrote is a historical look at how Henson performed and he rarely played Kermit with legs...

Any tips on the mouthplate? I used kraft-foam, but it's too soft and keeps the shape of my hand every time I make him react. Know how I can fix it?

If anybody has critiques for Mahna Mahna, too, just let me know - I am going to add more hair, though.
  9. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

Try using plastic lids from Ice Cream or Margerine tubs. In a oinch, you can also use cardboard, but it won't last for very long.

You might also check local hardware store for something called "Gasket Rubber." Most places have 6 x 6 inch squares of rubber that is enough for a puppet mouth. This is what I used to covert an Eden puppet into something a little more usable:

http://www.cryptozooey.com/?p=23
  10. Melonpool

Melonpool Member

You know what? I just figured out how you could make your Kermit look more "on model." Move his eyes back on his head so they sit closer to the top of his head. As they sit now, they look like they hit your hand at about the first joint of your hand. I think on the real Kermit, they hit closer to the knuckle.

Hope this helps -- and I do like your version a lot!
  11. Thanks everyone! Sorry I've been away for a while - tying up some loose ends with summer classes.

Anyhoo... The new Kermit is coming along. I just bought gasket rubber today and can't believe the results! Thanks so much, melonpool! I'm hoping to finish him sometime tomorrow.

Any tips for pupils? I figured I should just make a stencil with plastic to use black paint? I'm not using ping-pong balls anymore - I bought the domed eyes from PuppetMart so I don't think Sharpies would work for the kind of quality I'm aiming for.
  12. Black adhessive felt dots are the thing to use but if you're feeling crafty you can just cut out pupils out of black tape or anything similar. I've noticed on a photo of Oscar the grouch, being large puplis, they don't stick the way they should on the curve of the eye, so they've made a slit from the center-out, a sorta radius cut, so it can overlap itself slightly ..if that makes sense.
    I wouldn't recomend making them permanant by painting them on because the focal point, slightly cross-eyed look, is tricky to get right, the first attempt.
    Hope that helps, and look forward to seeing your end result.
  13. Wouldn't the felt dots be an issue for Kermit's pupils? It seems like I would have to do it in three pieces?

Here's a head I built - Gasket Rubber is PERFECT! But I need some help with the eye placement:

I know this isn't symmetrical:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52568285@N07/4911301043/

But I don't know if it should look like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52568285@N07/4911905248/in/photostream/
    With a medium mouth crease and low eyes?

Or should it look like this:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/52568285@N07/4911905442/in/photostream/
    With a larger mouth crease and higher eyes?

Thanks EVERYONE!
  14. pingpongeyeguy

pingpongeyeguy New Member

hey,I been working on a kermit replica and the head came out great....but im having alot of trouble with the body...can some one please help me out...thanks
  15. Animal31

Animal31 Active Member

I personally like the third one with the higher eyes. Are those 35mm?
  16. Yes, they are 35mm - I think they look about the right size.

I agree with you about the eye height. Do you feel like the crease on either side of his mouth is too big? Should it be more like option #2?
  17. For the body, I just use the alternate body pattern for the Simple Series over at ProjectPuppet. It might be a little big, depending on the size of your head/hand - but it's pretty easy to scale down.

If you want to see how it looks just check out my flickr page earlier in this thread - that's the alternate pattern without any modifications.

Hope this helps :)
  18. Oh, right. I forgot Kermit's pupils have that odd shape to them.
    I'd just cut them out of black electircal tape myself.

Lookin great there. Nice work.