1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Christmas Music
    Our 17th annual Christmas Music Marathon is underway on Muppet Central Radio. Listen to the best Muppet Christmas music of all-time through December 25.

3. Sesame Street Season 48
    Sesame Street's 48th season officially began Saturday November 18 on HBO. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

Kermit replica

Discussion in 'Puppet Building and Performing' started by Bear Man, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Hi guys,

I'm building a Kermit replica and would love to hear your feedback...I think the eyes may be a bit too far apart?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Diego Fiorucci likes this.
  2. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

I think he's looking really good!

Maybe a little less green on the inner jaw where the mouthplates meet.
    Something is off about his eyes......either make the blacks smaller or make the balls a little bigger.
    His head is pointy on the top which is true to a Steve Whitmire Kermit but less for a Jim Henson Kermit....just my oponion. ;)

It's going to turn really nice is this is your V1 :)

Diego Fiorucci likes this.
  3. Muppetboy09

Muppetboy09 Well-Known Member

The front facing picture looks nearly perfect! Good job!

4. Muppetlab

Muppetlab Well-Known Member

Hes looking really great mate! :)
    Head shape looks spot on! As for the eyes.. Are they the 35mm domes? For the head size they look a tad small but im being really picky. Really great job so far :)

5. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks for the feedback you guys!

FoxWorthy - I'm actually going for a slightly more recent era Frog, so that explains the point on his head - but thanks for the suggestions about pupil size and mouth.

Muppetlab - the eyes are indeed 35mm - I am building a new head this weekend with a more flexible mouth (1.5mm rubber instead of the 3mm currently there - I'd initially thought the thinner rubber would be too floppy but the ultra suede and fleece should provide enough support I think.) Were you thinking that the whole head (including mouth) is a bit big? Or just the fleece portion? I'll scale the patterns back by 5-10%, I just need to know whether I need to scale mouth plate as well as fleece pattern!

Supernerd likes this.
  6. Muppetlab

The overall head and mouth is IMO a perfect shape.. Its really hard to get so you did a really great job.

I just think the eyes look a tad small.
    How does it sit on your hand? (Loose/tight)
    If you can go down a little it will be perfect with those size eyes :)

7. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks for the feedback. It's pretty loose on my hand (my hands are on the smaller side anyway), the shape of the head is really being helped out by some fibre fill. I'll give it a shot at 90% - just used photoshop to keep the eyes at 100% but reduced everything else to 90% and this is the result - I think you're definitely right!:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2015
    Supernerd and Muppetlab like this.
  8. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

I have re-Frogged (using 3mm rubber again though - the 1.5mm was just too thin, and since this will be mostly a poser, I don't need too much flex in the mouth):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here he is next to my first attempt - I've replaced the eyes on the first one from 35mm spheres with ping pong halves:
    [​IMG]

9. Muppetlab

Perfect :)
    Get some pupils on that bad boy and he will magically come to life :)

10. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

11. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Yes! :) :) Looks spot on.

12. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks, FoxWorthy!

Here's the next step - arms. I'm thinking the fingers (not attached yet) are a bit too fat. Thoughts?
    [​IMG]

Supernerd and HunterPeeples like this.
  13. Wafflesnacker

Wafflesnacker Member

Wow, that is one of the best Kermit puppets I've seen!:):):):)

14. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

I've spent the last two days trying to build his body - the first seemed too small and not rounded enough, the second is too large. I've learned the hard way that once a foam body is skinned in antron it significantly changes the perception of its size...add to that the fact that a very slight change to the curves cut in flat foam (we're talking mere fractions of an inch) can result in quite major difference to the assembled structure, and this body patterning is turning out to be more challenging than the head! Especially when you realise that his body is't just a sphere or a tube, but slightly teardrop shaped, with a flatter curve to the front/chest than there is on the back/butt, and the shape itself looks very different when we see a picture of Kermit sitting in a chair with legs visible, vs when he is essentially cropped from waist up, etc etc etc.

My initial plan was to use the fabric patterns revealed from the disassembled Master Replicas puppet (which conveniently could be scaled appropriate to the measurements I'd used for my head) to dictate the size of the torso and almost reverse engineer the foam understructure, but for the life of me I cannot work out how the front pattern piece would be attached to the two pieces forming the back.

So I've been taking the approach of using two, 3-petal pieces of foam and then just draping the antron rather than going from a fabric pattern...as I said, though, that hasn't been too successful.

Any builders of Frogs out there have any advice about the body dimensions? If you're able to tell me anything about the length of the body in proportion to his mouth plate, etc. Or is there anyone who can work out how the 3 torso pattern pieces should be assembled?!

15. FunnyBear

FunnyBear Active Member

I do have to ask, what pattern did you base his head off of? It's really really good.

16. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Thanks, FunnyBear. I started with one from Master Replicas (check the Replica Prop Forum) and then made a fair few adjustments.

17. Muppetlab

Did you try the project puppet body pattern adjustments i suggested? :)

18. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

So apart from a final internal head/neck armature to give his head some shape when there's no hand inside, my Kermit is done. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out - there's a few minor changes I would make if I did it again, but right now I need a break from trying to sew invisible seams!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. FoxWorthy

FoxWorthy Active Member

Nice job! :) :)

20. Bear Man

Bear Man Active Member

Cheers mate!