Kermit SST Material Pro's and Con's

Muppet Frog

Reaction score
Here's a list of Kermit SS material pro's and con's.

Pro's

1. Kermit did a good job on the news flashes. His trenchjacket looks perfect on him.
2. Kermit has a beautiful singing voice when he sings.
3. Three Kermit skits were included in the video I'm Glad I'm Me.
4.The Best of Kermit on Sesame Street.
5. Kermit making some comeback appearances from 1996 to 2001.
6. Kermit's off-camera puns are hystarical.
7. Kermit getting steamed at confused monsters because it's hillarious.
8. Kermit had a few duets with some celebrites like Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Lena Horne, Jimmy Buffet and Keb Mo.
9. Having Kermit on the street occasionally.
10. Sesame Workshop having permission to show Kermit on Do De Rubber Duck and Everybody Be Yo'Self ever since they lost rights to him.
11. The Sesame company still putting Kermit in videos and DVD's.
12. The Magic Talking Kermit plush.

Con's

1. Don Music and Kermit rewriting Twinke Twinkle Little Star isn't included in silly songs at the movies video.
2. African Alphabet wasn't included in the alphabet safari video.
3. Kermit's imagination game isn't included in the imagination video.
4. Kermit doing a news flash on the snowstorm is not funny because you never stand in the snow for a long time.
5. Not enough Kermit clips in season 2.
6. Kermit and Susan playing One of these Things isn't included in the Play Along Game Fun Time Video.
7. Tadpole or It's alive isn't included in the video on animal songs.
8. Not enough Kermit and Grover material in A Celebration of Him Grover
9. I did like seeing Kermit on part 1 of the hurricane episode but it made me upset that Sesame workshop lost rights to Kermit afterwards.
10. Disco Frog isn't included in the video on dance parties.
11. Kermit not singing his version of We Are All Earthlings.
12. Not enough Kermit clips on The World According to Sesame Street.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Actually, Sesame Workshop never had the rights to Kermit. Sesame Workshop has always owned the rights to the series, and The Jim Henson Company owned the rights to all of the Sesame Street Muppets until 2000. I am not really sure if Sesame Workshop co-owned the character rights or not (copyright credits only listed The Jim Henson Company as the owner of the Muppets, and most Mupet productions featuring Sesame Street characters didn't have any special copyright credits for the uses of non-Kermit Sesame Street characters, yet I've read that whenever such a crosover was done, Sesame Workshop had to approve of the scripts). And the hurricane epsiodes were produced after Henson lsot the rights to the Sesame Street characters, excluding Kermit.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
Actually, Sesame Street was co-created by the former CTW (I refuse to call it SW, because that seperates Jim from something he helped create) and Jim Henson. Jim was to create the characters--which were to be copyrighted to the series--while the writers and cast members would deal with the scripts.

In effect, all Street characters were/are NOT a part of the actual Muppets line-up, which would stand to reason that the Muppets--Kermit, Fozzie, Miss Piggy, Animal, Gonzo, etc.--were/are seperate from the Sesame gang--Oscar, Big Bird, The Count, Ernie and Bert, Cookie Monster, and even Elmo--because whilst the Muppets were officially owned by The Jim Henson Company, because Jim created them for shows his own company produced fully on its own, the Sesame gang was/are technically owned by the ex-CTW, because Jim created the gang for that specific series alone.

What that means is that though Jim was credited for bringing life to that Street where the air would be sweet, his production company--Jim Henson Productions--didn't have its own specific credit indents like it did for the shows it fully produced on its own: The Muppet Show/Muppet Babies, Fraggle Rock, and movies like Labyrinth.

Another prime example of Henson making something for another company would be that we wouldn't be able list the TMNT film costumes within that line-up of officially owned Henson properties and that would be because--although the movie versions were made by Henson's Creature Shop--the heroes in a half-shell originated from Mirage Comics and its distributors.

In fact, the only time crossovers were/are done would be when Henson himself--or his family--were/are involved in the production of a skit that could feature Kermit on the Street, and then, let's not forget the infamous Muppet Family Christmas special that brings all of 'em home for the holidays!

wiley207

Reaction score
Maybe SesameWorkshop could get permission from the Muppets Holding Company to have the entire Muppet Show gang make a guest appearance in a "Sesame Street" episode! :wink: It'd be easy for the Muppeteers, since many of them work on both shows (Dave Golez could make his SS comeback, and Eric Jacobson could operate Bert, Fozzie Bear, Miss Piggy, Grover, Animal and other Frank Oz characters, and Jerry Nelson could voice the Count and reprise his role of Floyd Pepper for the occasion!) I think it'd be a good way to reintroduce the "regular" Muppet cast to young audiences.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
But the Muppets are more "adult" than those characters from the Street in the comtemporary world the characters inhabit (i.e. the modern Street has its characters all "sunny day" happy all the time, pretty much & not as crazy as they once were, whereas the Muppets are just as crazy as ever...Animal especially).

Drtooth

Reaction score
I hate how they refer to Kermit as a guest star. He was one of the first characters used for the show, and that's where Kermit got his real national start (outside of the specials and late night talk appearances and stuff). Kermit was a regular on the show up until EMTV sold the SS characters back to SW (as they were owned or coowned by Henson at the time- evident in older merchandise).

He was never a guest. Maybe in the same way Steve Martin was a guest on SNL. But he's been a regular in my book.

CBPuppets

Reaction score
I was always wondering about that whole muppets Holding rights things.

wwfpooh

Reaction score
I hate how they refer to Kermit as a guest star. He was one of the first characters used for the show, and that's where Kermit got his real national start (outside of the specials and late night talk appearances and stuff). Kermit was a regular on the show up until EMTV sold the SS characters back to SW (as they were owned or coowned by Henson at the time- evident in older merchandise).

He was never a guest. Maybe in the same way Steve Martin was a guest on SNL. But he's been a regular in my book.
Indeed. Regardless of who holds the rights, Mr. Green Frog (aka Kermit) will always be a regular on the Street in my book, too.