Kermit's Swamp Years News

Luke

Reaction score
Scarecroe :-

Yep i know it came from Toughpigs, thats where i got it - i kinda spend a lotta time there now, as does everyone judging by all the TP references in this forum.

All :-

I think KSY is sounding a lot better than i originally thought - i think it's a rental at least. I'm happy at the way they are treating the DVD but then i'm not massively unhappy about the way the MTI DVD has been treated. I like the idea that Henson are doing lots of extras on their DVD's now, though widescreen on the Disney movies would have been nice.

On the subject of the Muppet Treasure Island DVD - i noticed that while this site went all out to sway people into being anti-Disney about the way it's been handled - it has absolutely no problem with displaying a nice large graphic on the main page of the DVD cover and an affiliate link to where you can buy the DVD at Amazon.com - isn't this just a little two faced ? On one hand there was an article on the site persuading us that this is terrible and on the other there is now a big free plug for Disney in prime position on the sites most viewed page. It's kinda confusing and suggests to people (whether correct or not) that the site cares more about the money than the way the Muppet product is being treated !

Just my 2 cents !

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I may be jumping the gun, but it really sounded like there may be a possibility of a DC direct-to-vid. Honestly, I can see a direct-to-vid with some of the characters in Labyrinth. Not that it is something I would recommend, but the film did end rather open. If a DC film were ever made, I hope it would be tastefully done and be a special event. Not a disposable release that disappoints the fans.

It could mean more fantasy films as you have stated, but why can't they release the projects in the theater. And if there ends up being a KSY series I will be very unhappy. It could diminish the perception of Kermit like the Muppet Babies did in mid/late 80s. Some of this talk has the old frogboy hopping mad, but I guess we'll have to wait for the real skinny before we can really comment on this news. It is good that future projects are planned no matter what they are; I just hope they are quality ones!

beaker

Reaction score
frogboy:

It is good that future projects are planned no matter what they are; I just hope they are quality ones!<<

yeah, i guess we'll have to wait for august to hear what else they got planned, but i know what ya mean about diminishing the property to super kiddy faire. I wasnt excited at all with the footage i saw of KSY, though the producers promise plenty of references to diehard fans.

It is great that starting now there will be a diluge of muppet stuff...from the new kermit/piggy denneys commerical/promotion, to muppet pinball mayhem finally freaking coming out tuesday, muppet figures ina couple weeks, etc.

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Luke,

I agree with your assessment of the MTI DVD picture on the front of the site, and I'll take the photo down. Didn't think about it the way you described.

Luke

Reaction score
Ok Phil, yeah i can kinda see both sides of it - on the one hand the site is there to tell people about what products are coming out and the latest news on Muppet stuff, and on the other theres the widescreen campaign where we are saying this isn't on.

It's a tough one, i think the first time this has ever come up over the years, but i think you've made the right decision because it shows a clear positive message to others. Trust it to be a Disney product ! LOL !

scarylarrywolf

Reaction score
Re: On KSY News-

Originally posted by frogboy4
Oh no, I hope they haven't opened the floodgates - Piggy's Barn Years, Fozzie's Cave Years and Kermit's Swamp Years 2.

Hey, if disney gets the Muppets, that's what you can expect!

--"Scary" Larry Wolf

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
I think it has happened anyway from the sound of things.

That's another thing that annoyed me about MFS. It was so boring and could have gone in so many directions - exploring Gonzo's teen years in space being one of them. Not Baby Gonzo of course, but I would have liked to see some space action in that movie. It was implied by the title and I think is a major point that upset people. Just an observation. LOL!

I do think that as far as longevity goes, Disney is really the best choice. Also, this talk of a company buying them to sit on a shelf and only be used for t-shrts buggs me too. Not that it would happen, but it sure wouldn't happen with the mouse. They go to far with their exploitation though. It's a weird situation, but I still feel they will end up at Disney so I'm just getting used to the idea.

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
Yeah, although Disney is widely considered the most likely buyer of Henson, and probably (hopefully) WILL buy them, I still sometimes have this feeling way back in my head that Disney doesn't buy them. What if I wake up one Monday morning, go to "AOL Business News," type "Muppets," and after all this time, all these articles, all the mental anguish, I see...something I don't want to see. I'd consider throwing my monitor out the window. :smile:

I remember going to the Muppet newsgroup in 2/00, and saw "German firm pursues Henson ownership." Didn't really take it THAT seriously. Then a few more articles appeared and on President's Day I go to Muppet Central, and in big letters on the front page, "Germany's EM.TV buys Henson for $680 million." Then five years of my life flashed before my eyes. Then a year later EM.TV, well you know. And ANOTHER year later, here we are.

The point of this message: If you wanna buys the Muppets, just be careful. You could get sued, you can get a tarnished image, you can run into heavy debt, you can get investigated by German prosecutors! Just announce a joint Muppet project and HOPE it all goes smoothly from there. Let's hope nothing tragic happens to Disney (or whoever) by this time next year!

That's the most fun I've had all day. :smile:

Luke

Reaction score
<<"Germany's EM.TV buys Henson for $680 million." Then five years of my life flashed before my eyes.>>

Thats exactly what happened to Brian Henson !

BoyRaisin2

Reaction score
No, that was nine years of his life, and he WANTED to sell. Didn't he? Whose fault was it that EM.TV bought Henson?