Kid's Programming that Makes You Want to Question Life Itself

Comical_DrBob

Reaction score
You people are right there are some terrible kids shows on now,my mum was glad I grew up before the wiggles era & so am I there's a little too much exposure here of them since theyre from Oz.
All of the kids shows here are terrible the people seem to act like dumb popstars & are plain annoying.
I don't mind blues clues its cute & so is bear in the big blue house .

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Originally posted by beaker
It's funny, its not the gay angle that ruins the show, its really the 'Were better than you, snippy snappy loud uber "on with the showww this is it" Manhattan snob' garbage. That's why I loved shows like Cosby and to some extent Roseanne. There was something relaxing and inviting. I don't do The Gap.
Heh, I love how this has turned into the "Will and Grace" thread, when really it was meant to be about horrid children's programming, but I'll just post opinions on both!

Firstly, I'm.... kinda inbetween on "Will and Grace". Somedays I love it, other days I don't want to watch it. It's just that sometimes it's really over-the-top and unbelievable that I can't stand it... but then other times it's over-the-top, unbelievable premise of the show is what attracts me to it. But personally, I'd still take "Will and Grace" over the Cosby Show or Roseanne anyday. I really don't like sitcoms that have that family value humour. I find it cheesy, over-sentimental and just plain over-done. Even though shows like Roseanne try to cover that humour, it's still a show about family and about putting family above all. Excuse me while I hurl.

And that's one of the reasons I do like "Will and Grace" to some extent, because it's not about family, it's got more of a ruthless kind of humour, and I like how they're all incredibly concided and snobby! I love that whole "sucks to be you" air they have to them. It's what makes the show enjoyable. And I've always said that I think that Karen is one of the BEST female characters in American TV history! (I had to say American, because there's still Patsy and Edina from "Absolutely Fabulous" who are hands down the best female characters ever) I love Karen, I wanna BE Karen! (Okay, well I don't want to be her, but she's still brilliant) I hate most female TV characters. They're either wishy-washy, dumb-blonde bombshells, or that total "tomboy" character even though they still dress like ho's... that's just annoying. Karen is brilliant, she's the American Ab Fab!

As for "Veggie Tales"... I don't much care for it. I don't hate it, I just don't like Christian propaganda thrown in my face. That's not to say that I don't like Christians, and I can see why something like "Veggie Tales" is around. I understand that Christian families would like to raise their children with Christian values, and what better way than with a cute little cartoon show, but I just don't happen to necessarily wanna watch anytype of Christian show. And I can agree that it isn't overly preachy or too in-your-face, but there's still that slight edge of preachiness that gets under my skin.

However, the Silly Songs with Larry are pretty funny. ^_^ And there really isn't ANY Christianity in the songs at all, which makes me appreciate all of "Veggie Tales" more, because they can take a break and just have silly fun. And the Hairbrush song is easily the best song on there.

^_^ Debo

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Boober_Baby
I understand that Christian families would like to raise their children with Christian values
Why raise a kid solely on one type of angle, when you can throw in a little goodness from every religion? There's great little nuggest in every legitamate religion out there; sadly people get stuck on the one they were raised with.

Then again Judaic buddhist Muslim Hindu overtoned talking fruits and vegetables might not go over well in the bible belt.

As for Will and Grace, how could people hate themselves internally to act like that? I thought it was spose to be a celebration about something you dont see much on tv, not an ugly snipe fest at humanity.

Boober_Baby

Reaction score
Why raise a kid solely on one type of angle, when you can throw in a little goodness from every religion? There's great little nuggest in every legitamate religion out there; sadly people get stuck on the one they were raised with.
Because that's the way the world works. I agree with you, we should celebrate every religion, and who's to say that many Christians don't? I'm not Christian, and I'm not religious at all, but perhaps you're being a little biased here. It's unfair to judge a culture by the extremists we always see.

As for Will and Grace (heehee, this topic has just gotten so screwed up) it's not supposed to be a celebration. If I wanted to watch a celebration about the gay community, I'll turn on Queer as Folk (which I do!), but Will and Grace is strictly comedy. A lot of it based on pop culture. If you don't find that kind of humour funny, then that's cool, but for people who do it's an enjoyable show.

^_^ Debo

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Different types of humor for different folks!

Then again Judaic buddhist Muslim Hindu overtoned talking fruits and vegetables might not go over well in the bible belt.

As for Will and Grace, how could people hate themselves internally to act like that? I thought it was spose to be a celebration about something you dont see much on tv, not an ugly snipe fest at humanity.
I don't think there's anything wrong with a parent raising their child with their religion and morals. And I don't think there's anything wrong with clearly marked Christian entertainment. When I turned 16 my parents didn't require that I attend church. That's about right as far as I'm concerned. They didn't need to educate me about Buddhism; I have my own mind and can explore myself. I just don't think most people use common sense or look further and they only have their selves to blame. And Veggie Tales has other humor aside from Christian values. Actually it's mainly humor.

On the other end of the spectrum you have Will and Grace. It's hard to communicate this to someone who isn't part of the gay community. Like all minorities they have been mistreated and repressed. Instead of complaining about it, gays tend to be proactive. There is a subtext to the jokes no matter how vicious they sound to you. Reading a friend can be a term of endearment. It's kind of like how siblings can roughhouse in a playful way. It's like roughhousing with words.

I have to say that much of the humor in that program is exactly on point. Go to Badlands or the Cafe and you'll see what I mean. I happen to know that the community tends to be pretty thick skinned. I spend 90% of the time biting my tongue. I could read just about anyone, but choose not to. It's just not worth it, but I will sometimes jab at my friends. There's a fine line between humor and bitterness.

If you heard a phone conversation with some of my friends you'd probably think we hate each other. LOL! But I trust them with my life and love them to death. They are the kinds of folks you could tell anything. Well, some of them. The only thing faster than telephone is tell-a-queen. Okay, I'm allowed to say that! :wink:

radionate

Reaction score
Re: Different types of humor for different folks!

Originally posted by frogboy4
The only thing faster than telephone is tell-a-queen. Okay, I'm allowed to say that! :wink:
The boy speaks the truth. LOL! The US Postal service could take pointers and tips from this service!:stick_out_tongue:

beaker

Reaction score
Originally posted by Boober_Baby
I'm not religious at all, but perhaps you're being a little biased here. It's unfair to judge a culture by the extremists we always see.

If you don't find that kind of humour funny, then that's cool, but for people who do it's an enjoyable show.
Nope, no biases...my only requirement for parents I feel is to raise your kid with absolute love, tolerance, and wonder no matter where it comes from.

When I go to public places, I get disturbed seeing these parents with their dirty unwashed kids, yelling at them, etc. Really makes me upset, seeing kids being msitreated etc. These parents should be sterilized.

Now then, its funny...I never reallys aw any blatant Christian tones in Veggie Tales the few times I saw it.

Finally, there should be more gay sitcoms. I know they tried more but they didnt find their mark. I actually watch Wil and Grace from tiem to time. I also admit to watching Friends now and then...even tho both shows are light years from anything I can relate to. (My only real complaint is that Karen...who like Mimi on Drew Carrey manages to ruin it for me)

It's very nice to have something to reflect and relate to on tv. Such is why it sucked seeing the only Korean sitcom All Americna Girl with Margaret Cho get yanked. One of my fave sitcoms ever.

Finally, I am well aware of subtleties and stuff in the gay community and culture. I think its echoed quute well in Wil and Grace, though without being preachy...I mean obviously it is popular across many types of people for a reason. I also realize the whole 'snippy/snide/biting' humor is part of some things, folks who have survived through decades of struggles naturallyd evelop their own uniqe sense of humor. You see that in the Jewish community, Black communities, etc. I think shows like Will and Grace, Seinfeld, Martin, etc got so popular with more than just the targeted audiences as there was something for everyone to enjoy.

Gonzo

Reaction score
Re: Different types of humor for different folks!

Originally posted by frogboy4
Reading a friend can be a term of endearment. It's kind of like how siblings can roughhouse in a playful way. It's like roughhousing with words.
I've noticed that too--but I've never heard it called "reading." I guess I'm out of the loop. Which is fine. I just didn't know that's what it was called.

Hunh.

I like Will & Grace...but sometimes they're just as preachy as Veggie Tales. About different things, of course, but preachy nonetheless. More specifically, I like Karen and Jack.

Quinnnnnnnnnnn

beaker

Reaction score
Re: Re: Different types of humor for different folks!

Originally posted by Gonzo
I've noticed that too--but I've never heard it called "reading." I guess I'm out of the loop. Which is fine. I just didn't know that's what it was called.
To no surprise I knew what 'reading' meant in that context. Then again I have seen virtually every gay genre and documentary out there. Something just fascinating about cultures I dont know much about.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Beaker

Will & Grace is insanely popular so I think they reach a lot of people. Actually, Karen is my favorite part. Jack is my least favorite - probably because I don't associate with people like him that don't accomplish much of anything. Karen is a big fave of the gay community. She's kind of like the US version of Patsy and Edina (AbFab) rolled into one. We love the pill-popping, vodka-chugging Judys. And it's a way of portraying that part of the gay scene (in some circles) without assigning the characteristics to a gay character. Very smart if you ask me. She just seems so outrageous that I can't figure out why you don't like her. She's nothing like Mimi, but maybe to you. Doesn't make sense to me at all, but I respect your opinion. Just seems funny to me.

Quinn

Yeah, LOL, reading the official term for setting a person straight by telling it like it is with flair. I'm quite gifted at it (or so I've been told), but will only do so with friends who get the joke. I don't really see the show as preachy, but some of the more obvious clichés bug me (i.e. Will trying to father Grace's child). That's kind of slumming IMHO. I'd rather see Jack pull Will out for a night out clubbing! That would be fun to me. Poor guy never gets a date! Makes me wonder what's wrong with him.

Weird thing is that I watch CSI instead. LOL!