Kukla Fran & Ollie fans?

doctort13

Reaction score
Are there any Burr Tillstrom/KFO fans on the boards?

When I was very young (mid-60's) I seem to remember watching KFO on TV. I may have seen them before Sesame Street introduced me to the Muppets.

matleo

Reaction score
I'm not too familiar with Kukla Fran and Ollie but I haeve seen soe clips and have seen some of Burr's other work. fro mwhat I undertsand he was a marvelous improvier and usually liked to keep tihngs loose that's whay so many of the KFO episodes seem to go off on a few tangents. Anyway, if you've ever seen his hand pantoimes though they are amazing. He used to do a piece about the Berlin wall which was absolutly beatiful. just the amount of emotion that he would get out of his two hands andthe way he would use them to represent different things. It would send a tingle down your spine. I know KFO is available on vidoe and DVD and one of these days I really shuld try to lay my hands on some.

--Matt

puppetguy

Reaction score
Burr Tilstrom was an improvisational genius. He was also a master at creating remarkable characters with tremendous depth. Perhaps that is what is truly great about his work on television: it was so simple-very minimal sets and props, the puppets themselves were simple. The show relied solely on the characters to direct its course. While the mechanics of his puppeteering were not awe inspiring, somehow the characters transcended. I think this is what Jim learned from Burr: how to create characters that you cared about, something that is truly lacking in much of what is seen today. Thank heavens for video tape so that those of us who were not around when these shows were seen originally can learn from one of the "masters."

Drtooth

Reaction score
I have not seen this, but I REALLY want to! I read all about it in a few books, and I think that this was a great show for both kids and adults. Unfortunately, my exposure to them is REALLY limited to one short clip at the Emmy awards, in which Fran mispronounces, "A Charlie Bown Christmas." We have everything and it's mother on DVD, exept for this and Fraggle Rock!

doctort13

Reaction score
KFO on DVD!!!

Here is an email I just received:

Terry,

Thanks for your interest in Kukla, Fran and Ollie. As a matter of fact, we have recently licensed the first five programs to Koch Entertainment for DVD release so keep your eyes on the lookout for them.

We have also licensed the images to a merchandising firm so may see some products carrying KFO images in the future.

Thanks for contacting us.

Michael Vodde
New Kid Home Video

Phillip

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
doctort13,

Thanks for sharing this with us. What a nice treat to look forward to! It will be interesting to see what merchandise will be released in the future.

doctort13

Reaction score
Let's tell them ehat we want

Here is an idea...

I am sure that there are a few KFO fans floating about the MC boards. Why don't we take the time and let Koch Entertainment know what we want on the new KFO DVDs.

I agree that just to have the shows is 110% cool, but why stop there? Some really cool extras would be grand. I'd love to have a documentary, some interviews with present day puppeteers, behind the scenes with Burr, and more!

Email Koch at: videosales@kochent.com

JaniceFerSure

Reaction score
Kukla Fran & Ollie fan

I remember KFO in syndication,early 70s.I got a Kukla puppet when I was 4.That show started my love for puppets,Muppets,etc...Thanks for the thread! :excited: :zany:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
Burr Tillstrom really was a genius. His work is especially remarkable when you remember most of it was pre-Muppet and he of course was always cited by Jim Henson as a major early influence.