Labyrinth Collector's Edition DVD Box Set

Reaction score
I saw recently on dvdpricesearch.com a listing for a new Labyrinth box set coming at the end of January. I couldn't find another thread discussing it, so i thought i would start a new one and see if anybody had any info on it. All I have managed to find is that it is a Columbia/Tri-Star release, MSRP is $49.95 and it comes out Jan 27, 2004. Is this just the old version/superbit version with extra stuff in the box, or is this a whole new DVD? Any help would be appreciated. :confused:

Douglas Fir

Reaction score
sgtfloydpepper said:
I saw recently on dvdpricesearch.com a listing for a new Labyrinth box set coming at the end of January. I couldn't find another thread discussing it, so i thought i would start a new one and see if anybody had any info on it. All I have managed to find is that it is a Columbia/Tri-Star release, MSRP is $49.95 and it comes out Jan 27, 2004. Is this just the old version/superbit version with extra stuff in the box, or is this a whole new DVD? Any help would be appreciated. :confused:
If you follow the links on dvdpricesearch.com to some of the sites who have it for pre-order there is already some information out there. Firstly and in direct reference to your question:

"The classic fantasy adventure film available in an all-new Collector’s Edition. DVD will be re-mastered to add new bonus materials."

Also:

"Special Features: New Bonus Materials; Collectible box packaging that will include exclusive added-value items."

Also apparently this is what will be in the box:

Rarely Seen Galleries of Cast and Character Photos, Concept Art and Storyboards (I'm not sure if this first one is an extra on the DVD or something physically in the box)

Collector's Edition Animation Cell

Collector's Edition Booklet

Rarely-Seen Brian Froud Character Sketch Cards

This is very cool news though. The Muppets aside this movie is one of my all-time favourites (it's right up there with The Goonies, Indiana Jones and Star Wars!!!). I haven't bought it yet on DVD though but I think I will be getting this one!!!

Chilly Down

Reaction score
I knew this one was coming out, but hadn't yet heard what any of the extras were. "New special features"--very exciting. I'm hoping for some more cut scenes (heck, I'd go for the whole 3-hour cut of the film, though I don't see that happening). I'd also like it if they included David Bowie's music videos for "Underground" and "As the World Falls Down." Hopefully, we'll get more specific information soon.

Of course, I'm a little disgusted as I've already bought this on DVD once. (I skipped the Superbit version altogether.) But this new one sounds mighty cool. Sounds like it's time to buy the new one and sell the old one on eBay! :smirk:

leliebel

Reaction score
oeh!

*starts saving up*

Will ot be available in the netherlands?

Chilly Down

Reaction score
Not yet, unfortunately. This is a Region 1 release, so that means it'll be available in America, and I believe Canada and Mexico would also be included in that. I think Region 2 might be Europe, but I'm talking way outside my realm of experience here. Can someone else chime in?

It probably will be available in your region sometime next year, but you'll have to find out what your region is to keep track of when it's released. Otherwise, you'll need to get a region-free DVD player, and then buy it from overseas. If you have any technology-smart friends or family, I suggest you consult them about whether or not your DVD player is region-free, and/or how to get one.

Good luck!

Reaction score
Thanks for the info everyone,
I also have not bought the dvd yet (my eighties era vhs is still holding up pretty well and has the original poster art on the cover) so this might be the time to break down and buy the dvd. It sounds like a pretty good investment, even for $50.

Rugby

Reaction score
Superbit version? What is superbit supposed to be? This is different than the version that was sold with Dark Crystal?

leliebel

Reaction score
Or I could just read the manual :smile:

It's brand new so the manual is still on my desk

I got a dvdplayer as a gift last weekend and storyteller 3, I've bought Storyteller 2 and greek myths yesterday, so I'm really happy :big_grin: