Latest News from Youtube

BeakerSqueedom

Reaction score
This makes me nervous as well. I'm actually on YouTube, and I did a :smile: video. It took a bit of time and effort, and I'd hate to see it removed due to any violations in copyright. Ouch. I'm REALLY nervous about it now, actually...

Here's the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15nM-AUyys

Q
I LOVE THAT VIDEO! I WATCH IT ALL THE TIME!
XD I LOLED!

I love you. <3

LOL!

Yes, I would be nervous too but it could have been worse besides..that does not seem copyrightish. XD

kbug67

Reaction score
I hope that their plan fails as ive uploaded a ton of videos
to my puppet up profile on youtube already and would hate to see them taken off as some of the stuff on there is really rare.

Morgan Clueless

Reaction score
I don't think their plan will work very long, for a lot of users upload AMVs, slideshows, music videos, and clips--most to all of which have some form of copyrighted material. Besides, not everyone who joins Youtube has a video camera, and even if they did, some wouldn't want to show their face in front of it, let alone make a fool of themselves for the 'Net world to see! :boo: Personally, I find the "no copyrighted material" rule ridiculous; then again, I'm an AMV maker, so what say do I have?

~ Morgan "Can't and Won't Show My Face to the 'Net" Goat

mikebennidict

Reaction score
Well, parody is different. I did "That Poor Frog" showing some silly stuff I did at 2 and 3 am once. It's basically parody.

The thing that HURTS us about this is that it is sometimes the only resource of reference we fans have for items of interest to us. Historical interviews with Jim Henson and Kermit the Frog may now be blocked, as well as Sesame and Muppet sketches we all love. Not to mention OLD commercials and such that nobody else has access to but the companies?

This hurts the fans.

Already some members are making their clips private.
Guess you gotta enjoy them while you can.

ISNorden

Reaction score
Even worse for us: YouTube has recently narrowed private videos from "friends only" to "25 specific friends". On top of that, setting clips to "private" automatically sends copies to every designated viewer on your list, whether you want that or not (I upset a few friends today when I started resetting mine).

NantoSeiken

Reaction score
Article about YouTube's new technology

Since I know there have been a lot of rumors going around about how the sky is falling on September 1st, here is a link to a newspaper article with a general explanation about the new digital fingerprinting tool that YouTube is working on:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/01/AR2007080100060.html

Under the current system, when someone uploads the latest music video from Beyonce or Black Eyed Peas, the company that owns that content can send a complaint to YouTube and get it removed. With this new digital fingerprinting, YouTube will be able to remove all of the different posts of that same music video, and flag it automatically within a few minutes if it gets posted again.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I'm really mad at Google because I heard they're making the machine.:mad:

ISNorden

Reaction score
That's so scary, I've seriously considered deleting every clip on my YouTube account, and using it only to rate/comment others' material. I've already begun moving my Sesame Street material to another site, as my last post said.

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
Napster Anyone?

I don't like being a chicken little (unless it's the cute Disney version) but it seems like You Tube is done. Tech friends of mine in the Bay Area predicted this last year. You Tube is Google. It is now referred to as Goo-Tube out here (mockingly). There's no way to keep this sort of thing from happening.

The internet is still like the wild west. It is likely the last frontier to be explored and to stake claims. The staking usually comes from the biggest bullies. I understand protecting a copyright. There really is no copyright police, the enforcement falls upon the party of ownership (and its minions). Google is a corporate giant...this was only a matter of time.

However, it really hurts the fans. Those of us who own Muppet Family Christmas, but want to see the deleted material not packaged on the DVD. Or those of us who miss the opening credits of the Jim Henson Hour. That's mainly what I use it for.