1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Legends of the DARK CRYSTAL Comic! Opinions?

Discussion in 'Fantasy Worlds' started by Laszlo, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Max Kim, the artist, would like to hear from you folks.
    What do you think of his art?

Here is his page:
    http://maxkimart.com/Ldarkcrystal.html

IMO he did an awesome job so far! His style captures the essence of the characters very well.

The comic will be released March 2007 ! Can't wait!
  2. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

Very nice--you're right on about the "essence" of the characters. It's there, without them seeming static or like carbon copies. I think there's a lot of room for these representations to stay true to the original and still have their own lives.
  3. ReneeLouvier

ReneeLouvier Active Member

I can't wait for this to be on sale...they look awesome. Thanks for giving us a bit of direction, so we'd be able to see it!
  4. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Active Member

WOW! Double WOW! This is amazing!! Is this the style the book will be drawn in???

I was afraid it would be more manga stuff (which I'm NOT a fan of and would have bought anyhow) but this is AWESOME!!
  5. Verona

Verona New Member

And the guy behind this great art is also very sweet.
  6. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Does he have photos of himself somewhere? :)
  7. crazed gonzo fa

crazed gonzo fa Active Member

This art is awesome! I definetly can't wait for this to come out!
  8. Fozzie Bear

I forgot: Is this TokyoPop also?
  9. Verona

Verona New Member

Yes it is.
  10. Laszlo

Laszlo Member

Max sent me an E-Mail... :)

"Thanks for the comments everyone. I really appreciate it. I know I
    probably won't please everyone, but I'll try to do my best
    regardless... I'd post this message myself, but I can't seem to get an
    activation e-mail that'll let me into the forums.. :p Anyways, thanks
    again everyone!" - Max -
  11. AndyWan Kenobi

AndyWan Kenobi Active Member

I'm glad I saw this thread, because I'd actually forgotten about this project. Seeing the art makes this a must-buy for me.

:)
  12. DannyRWW

DannyRWW Well-Known Member

I really liked the preview comic in the back of return to Labyrinth.
  13. Verona

Verona New Member

I wish I could see that one. Example, someone?
  14. Fozzie Bear

I LOVE the artwork for the Dark Crystal book!
  15. BalconyHeckler

BalconyHeckler New Member

I think it looks so amazing. It's like he channeling Brian Froud. Visually, it surpasses the Labyrinth manga. Max, it looks great. I can wait to purchase it in March! :)
  16. Giar Fraggle

Giar Fraggle Member

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really love this guy's art. Especially the Gelflings, they're so cute! And the Mystics and Skeksis looks so awesome! I was afraid the comic wouldn't retain any Froudness, but it retains a surprising amount!

Even though I doubt I'll ever buy the comics, the art is simply lovely.
  17. DTWolf

DTWolf Member

The back of vol. 1 of Return to Labyrinth includes a 25-page preview of the upcoming Dark Crystal graphic novel. If you want to see, stroll over to the manga section of a large-sized bookstore and take a look.

In stark contrast to the shoddy drawing in Return to Labyrinth, the Dark Crystal pages are truly well done. I'm looking forward to it--I won't be buying more of the Labyrinth graphic novels, but I will definitely be picking up Legends of the Dark Crystal. It seems both art and story are going to be high quality.

And the work in those links was marvelous too! Thanks for sharing.
  18. Verona

Verona New Member

I was looking for some scans of that preview but can't find it! :mad:
  19. fluffmuppet

fluffmuppet Member

Amazing artistry, but the Gelflings don't look like gelflings to me..they need to look more innocent..I think he draws 'em really anime esk hehe..its good though!
  20. Giar Fraggle

Giar Fraggle Member

If they were anime-esque, they'd have huge, shiny eyes and impossibly spiky or long hair. ;)

(Yes, I know not all anime is like this. I'm generalizing.)

But I really like this guy's style, to me it's a real feat to be able to develop your own graphic novel style without slipping into anime.