Let's face it: DC2 is a LOW BUDGET movie!

Gordon Universe

Reaction score
The less money they spend on it, the less there will be a chance of studio execs standing around forcing changes upon every little aspect to make it more "commercial". I say it's good.

Speed Tracer

Reaction score
Gordon Universe said:
The less money they spend on it, the less there will be a chance of studio execs standing around forcing changes upon every little aspect to make it more "commercial". I say it's good.
I agree. Low budgets can be a blessing in disguise. They allow for much more creativity and much less studio involvement.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You have to consider inflation. The equivalent of the budget of the original would probably be around the amount what they are spending on the current movie.

Gordon Universe

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
You have to consider inflation. The equivalent of the budget of the original would probably be around the amount what they are spending on the current movie.
According to the imdb.com, the budget for the original was 15 mil. Adjusting for inflation (using an online inflation calculator), that is over 32 mil today, 12 mil more than what they are spending on the sequel (according to the thread starter).

I think that the costs of things within the movie industry have inflated even more than regular things... but that's a bonified assumption.

Reaction score
I have a lot of faith in Genndy to make a great movie. Even if the budget was a meager $1,000,000, I would still be excited.
EXACTLY! YOU DON'T NEED MILLIONS TO MAKE A GREAT MOVIE, JUST A GREAT STORY, ACTIVE IMAGINATION, (OH YEAH, AND SOME MUPPETS)

JMPrater

Reaction score
Is there any recent news on this film?

Jaime

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything for awhile the most recent thing that I remember is, it is scheduled for spring '08 =all former charecters will be back (yeah chamberlain) some new ones. and not too much cgi (praying theres alot less than what was in "the hulk"). other than that, just keep checking out muppet central forum.

The 11th UrRu

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry folks...

I think the concern surrounding the new movie can be attributed to a couple of things:

1) Mirrormask - It was pretty much made known by the company that they put this movie into production as a result of the fantastic DVD sales the original Dark Crystal and Laybrinth were yielding. I think that confused people into believing that this project was going to be of the same scale, which of course it wasn't. I believe they wanted to add to their fantasy portfolio, and as much as I loved the movie, it was never meant to be a blockbuster, more likely a DVD lead product to package and sell their home entertainment line. With a 4 million dollar budget (I believe), I seriously doubt the new Dark Crystal movie will be anything like this project. Mirrormask was amazing for what it was.

2) Cheap Sequels - Im sure a lot of posters here would rank the original Neverending Story amongst their favourite movies, and in turn were heart broken by the 2 sequals that followed. Those 2 flicks lacked the soul of the first, and were probably more hollywood trying to quickly cash in on the success of the original. I really think that development was clearly rushed, as if just putting out anything with the Neverending Story brand would yield profits. Needless to say, it didnt work. Fans recognize this kind of thing in the business and are probably terrified the new Dark Crystal film will follow the same pattern. The company obviously knows the potential continuing this franchise, however there is no way the Henson kids are going to take their fathers crowning achievement and ruin it.

Original actors, original conceptual designer, original writer and and amazing new director ... Ive heard its been pushed back to fall 2008 now (so much for Cannes), but thats OK by me, they can take as much time as they need, it tells me they aint rushing anything. Don't worry, they are going to do this thing right, Id bet my bottom dollar on it, it's going to be incredible...

JMPrater

Reaction score
I would bet that the film is going to be incredible as well. My concerns however are in regards to the little information we have on the film. Spring or Fall 2008 doesn't really matter to me. What matters is communication. We are the people who made DC the success it's been, and we should be the people who are communicated with the most. I just don't get it.

Reaction score
I think the concern surrounding the new movie can be attributed to a couple of things:

1) Mirrormask - It was pretty much made known by the company that they put this movie into production as a result of the fantastic DVD sales the original Dark Crystal and Laybrinth were yielding. I think that confused people into believing that this project was going to be of the same scale, which of course it wasn't. I believe they wanted to add to their fantasy portfolio, and as much as I loved the movie, it was never meant to be a blockbuster, more likely a DVD lead product to package and sell their home entertainment line. With a 4 million dollar budget (I believe), I seriously doubt the new Dark Crystal movie will be anything like this project. Mirrormask was amazing for what it was.

2) Cheap Sequels - Im sure a lot of posters here would rank the original Neverending Story amongst their favourite movies, and in turn were heart broken by the 2 sequals that followed. Those 2 flicks lacked the soul of the first, and were probably more hollywood trying to quickly cash in on the success of the original. I really think that development was clearly rushed, as if just putting out anything with the Neverending Story brand would yield profits. Needless to say, it didnt work. Fans recognize this kind of thing in the business and are probably terrified the new Dark Crystal film will follow the same pattern. The company obviously knows the potential continuing this franchise, however there is no way the Henson kids are going to take their fathers crowning achievement and ruin it.

Original actors, original conceptual designer, original writer and and amazing new director ... Ive heard its been pushed back to fall 2008 now (so much for Cannes), but thats OK by me, they can take as much time as they need, it tells me they aint rushing anything. Don't worry, they are going to do this thing right, Id bet my bottom dollar on it, it's going to be incredible...
I GOTTA WAIT TIL FALL 2008?
MAN DO I NEED MY DC2 FIX NOW! THAT'S OK AS LONG AS THEY WANT TO DO IT RIGHT, THEN I DON'T MIND WAITING.
TAKE THE TIME, DON'T RUSH, ROME WASN'T BUILT IN A DAY.
I JUST HOPE IT HAS THE SAME " FEELING " THAT YOU GET WHEN YOU WATCH THE DARK CRYSTAL.
AND PLEASE, NOT TOO MUCH CGI. JUST A GREAT STORYLINE, AND, OH YEAH MUPPETS!