Little things we've noticed

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
I thought he left after season 15?
Oh, OK, I see what happened, thanks to the wiki: Brian left after season 15, and Follow That Bird was filmed after that season but didn't premiere until after the 16th season. So, while the movie was the first thing that Marty filmed as Telly, it wasn't the first thing aired.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
I noticed two things in the Great Cookie Thief skit.

1) the green cowboy bumps the pumpkin cowboy's hat at one point.

2) it's clear Jerry is puppeteering the blue and pumpkin cowboy's (though I guess it goes without saying), so I've noticed the characters movements look a bit awkward from time to time.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
In spite of the fact that at the time I wasn't really keen on spotting muppetry movements, I did notice how Jerry Nelson struggled a bit with lip-syncing to Little Jerry's "When You Move the Mouse" when it first surfaced in 2007.

D'Snowth

Reaction score
We've discussed it at least three times here in recent months, but when it comes to overall lip-syncing and physical manipulation, Jerry was perhaps the weakest of the original core performers in that respect. Again, my go-to example is "Readers of the Open Range" - watching Vern is almost like watching a public access puppet performance.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Right. I just felt like pointing it out since my 14-year-old-self didn't care much about puppetry movement.

Pig'sSaysAdios

Reaction score
This brings me to another topic that i've actually been thinking about for a while. I often wonder who's the performer for certain segments when the characters are not voiced by their puppeteers:
For instance, this was a rare case where I immediately knew Jerry was the one handling the main character in this (voiced by Chris Cerf). You can tell by the slow movements of the head, the mouth skipping syllables, and the way his head tilts to the side. I think the bride is Frank Oz due to her fluid movements that, at the beginning, reminded me of Miss Piggy when she got excited.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Yeah, I had a feeling it was Jerry doing the groom based on his lip-synching.

Also, to be fair, Cerf never actually puppeteered a character. All pre-recorded/dubbed stuff.

LittleJerry92

Reaction score
Mouth flub from Frank in the skit with Johnson being picky about his sandwich:

Grover: Alright, Charlie! A rush order on the s- uh, special of the day!

cjd874

Reaction score
Mouth flub from Frank in the skit with Johnson being picky about his sandwich:

Grover: Alright, Charlie! A rush order on the s- uh, special of the day!
Speaking of Grover, has anyone else noticed that Grover rarely uses contractions (won't, can't, I'm) in his sentences? Frank Oz says that was a big part of developing Grover's character, but I noticed that Grover used a contraction in the big burger skit: "Let me sit down and talk to you. I think you're making a big mistake. First of all..."

It's like how Cookie Monster started saying "Me" from Season 3 onward, but sometimes slipped into saying "I" like in "Mumford's Empty Cookie Jar Trick" from Season 3 and "The Monster's Three Wishes" from Season 5.