Little things we've noticed

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I watched the Marissa Berensen episode tonight, and noticed this line in the cold open: "This isn't some weird Muppet luggage that'll explode or turn into cheese, is it?" And I'm thinking, when have things in the Muppet world turned into cheese? In the Shirley Bassey episode Bunsen invented a device that turned gold into cottage cheese, but that came a few seasons later. It might have been more appropriate to check and make sure it wasn't luggage that'd explode or eat people (though with it being alligator luggage it probably would).

I also noticed that in The Muppet Movie Gonzo wore a light blue shirt and black vest, and then this became a semi-regular outfit for Gonzo starting in season four. But The Muppet Movie was filmed halfway through production of season three. Why not have him wear that in some season three episodes?

And you know, it makes sense for them to have switched Gonzo's clothes in that movie from a purple tuxedo to something casual... But since it's Gonzo it might have been funnier and more in character if he did wear his purple tux there. Of course now that I think about it it may have been funny if he wore his purple tux while doing daredevil stunts.

Also noticed that in TMM he wore a visor, but it seems the visor was dropped when he'd wear that outfit on the show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
After seeing Childrens Songs and Stories with the Muppets on YouTueb recently (it's listed there as "The Muppets' Songs and Stories"), I've noticed that the video focuses more on the "Children's Songs" aspect of the title; The video only includes two stories (Alice in Wonderland, which includes two songs in it, and The King's Breakfast), in addition to a Muppet Sports segment which is neither a song or a story.

Not to suggest what it should have had, but I feel it could have had a few more story segments. Perhaps some of the Robin Hood scenes from the Lynn Redgrave episode (perhaps all of the on-stage stuff until the archery contest), the two Pinnocchio segments from the Senor Wenches episode (I know, one is a song...), and maybe one of Rowlf's poems.

While I like the black background used, it seems it'd be better suited for a compilation video themed around horror sketches than children's songs. It is a rare instance where a black background is used but there's no reason for performers to dress in black (unless you count those fish who make an appearance, but I see it as them unintentionally being held above the bottom of the screen). It seems it would have been more practical to have just had the video take place in the attic (I've read that it was mentioned in Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook that the attic was located above the stage, so it's not like it was at Kermit or Fozzie's house; Hmmm, could the location from this video have been the basement of the theater?).

In that video, Richard Hunt performs Scooter, and Jim Henson performs every other character who appears in the linking footage. But when The Swedish Chef appears, it's obvious that an extra performer was there to operate the hands. I wonder whose it was. I assume both fish were performed by Jim, with one on each hand (only one of them speaks), and as far as I can tell no other character had a "right hand performer". Odd they'd have a performer operate the chefs hands and do nothing else. I wonder if maybe it was an uncredited performer (the compilation videos tend to only credit the main 8 from The Muppet Show). Frank Oz performed in many of the videos, but by the time this was made I doubt they'd have Oz only perform hands (why not have some of his characters make requests? Though I don't know what childrens songs or stories Miss Piggy would request... Honestly I feel it wouldn't be out-of-character for Sam to have requested Inchworm). Dave Goelz performed in some of the videos, but by 1985 would they have just had him perform hands? And as far as I know there's no sign of whether Whitmire, Mullen, or Gold (most likely not, as I think they were recorded in New York) worked on these, but I'm pretty sure Jerry Nelson didn't (Richard Hunt performed Camilla in Muppet Weird Stuff, after all).

Watching the scene with Waldorf, I wonder if maybe they wanted to use Pops but used Waldorf instead because Jerry Nelson wasn't available. Somehow I feel like Waldorf acted a little different in that scene (especially since Statler wasn't there, because Hunt was busy with Scooter), and i feel it would have been a little better suited for Pops to have been used there (and as far as I know, none of the compilation videos featured Pops).

The promo at the end of the Playhouse Video was different depending on the video, with the main difference being the length and number of videos advertised. I assume this means that a different batch of videos were released at different times (according to Muppet Wiki the first four have a 1984 copyright in the credits, even though all ten have a 1985 copyright on the packaging). But from what I can remember, whenever the promo would expand they'd show the Muppet Video logo before advertising another batch of videos, between videos 4 and 5 (even in the one advertising all ten) and videos 7 and 8.

I was thinking that it would have made sense for The Muppet Revue, Muppet Treasures, Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook, and Muppet Moments to have been made at the same time (either on the same day or week), since they all took place in the attic and all were hosted by Kermit and Fozzie. After all, the set was set-up, Jim Henson and Frank Oz were available, and the puppets were ready. But considering The Muppet Revue has a 1984 copyright and the others have a 1985 copyright, this wouldn't be the case.

Fraggline

Reaction score
After seeing Childrens Songs and Stories with the Muppets on YouTueb recently (it's listed there as "The Muppets' Songs and Stories"), I've noticed that the video focuses more on the "Children's Songs" aspect of the title; The video only includes two stories (Alice in Wonderland, which includes two songs in it, and The King's Breakfast), in addition to a Muppet Sports segment which is neither a song or a story.

Not to suggest what it should have had, but I feel it could have had a few more story segments. Perhaps some of the Robin Hood scenes from the Lynn Redgrave episode (perhaps all of the on-stage stuff until the archery contest), the two Pinnocchio segments from the Senor Wenches episode (I know, one is a song...), and maybe one of Rowlf's poems.

While I like the black background used, it seems it'd be better suited for a compilation video themed around horror sketches than children's songs. It is a rare instance where a black background is used but there's no reason for performers to dress in black (unless you count those fish who make an appearance, but I see it as them unintentionally being held above the bottom of the screen). It seems it would have been more practical to have just had the video take place in the attic (I've read that it was mentioned in Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook that the attic was located above the stage, so it's not like it was at Kermit or Fozzie's house; Hmmm, could the location from this video have been the basement of the theater?).

In that video, Richard Hunt performs Scooter, and Jim Henson performs every other character who appears in the linking footage. But when The Swedish Chef appears, it's obvious that an extra performer was there to operate the hands. I wonder whose it was. I assume both fish were performed by Jim, with one on each hand (only one of them speaks), and as far as I can tell no other character had a "right hand performer". Odd they'd have a performer operate the chefs hands and do nothing else. I wonder if maybe it was an uncredited performer (the compilation videos tend to only credit the main 8 from The Muppet Show). Frank Oz performed in many of the videos, but by the time this was made I doubt they'd have Oz only perform hands (why not have some of his characters make requests? Though I don't know what childrens songs or stories Miss Piggy would request... Honestly I feel it wouldn't be out-of-character for Sam to have requested Inchworm). Dave Goelz performed in some of the videos, but by 1985 would they have just had him perform hands? And as far as I know there's no sign of whether Whitmire, Mullen, or Gold (most likely not, as I think they were recorded in New York) worked on these, but I'm pretty sure Jerry Nelson didn't (Richard Hunt performed Camilla in Muppet Weird Stuff, after all).

Watching the scene with Waldorf, I wonder if maybe they wanted to use Pops but used Waldorf instead because Jerry Nelson wasn't available. Somehow I feel like Waldorf acted a little different in that scene (especially since Statler wasn't there, because Hunt was busy with Scooter), and i feel it would have been a little better suited for Pops to have been used there (and as far as I know, none of the compilation videos featured Pops).

The promo at the end of the Playhouse Video was different depending on the video, with the main difference being the length and number of videos advertised. I assume this means that a different batch of videos were released at different times (according to Muppet Wiki the first four have a 1984 copyright in the credits, even though all ten have a 1985 copyright on the packaging). But from what I can remember, whenever the promo would expand they'd show the Muppet Video logo before advertising another batch of videos, between videos 4 and 5 (even in the one advertising all ten) and videos 7 and 8.

I was thinking that it would have made sense for The Muppet Revue, Muppet Treasures, Fozzie's Muppet Scrapbook, and Muppet Moments to have been made at the same time (either on the same day or week), since they all took place in the attic and all were hosted by Kermit and Fozzie. After all, the set was set-up, Jim Henson and Frank Oz were available, and the puppets were ready. But considering The Muppet Revue has a 1984 copyright and the others have a 1985 copyright, this wouldn't be the case.

Fraggline

Reaction score
Whoops! Sorry about that---I'm still learning how to post on the new forum. Anyway, I just wanted to ask a question: Richard Hunt played Camilla in Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff? Wow, I'll have to see that.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
Whoops! Sorry about that---I'm still learning how to post on the new forum. Anyway, I just wanted to ask a question: Richard Hunt played Camilla in Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff? Wow, I'll have to see that.
Richard Hunt also plays the voice of the off screen land lord who yells at Gonzo, lol.

Btw I also wrote a Blog entry on the Children's Songs & Stories VHS awhile back, hehe: http://herald7.wordpress.com/2007/06/11/5/

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Btw I also wrote a Blog entry on the Children's Songs & Stories VHS awhile back, hehe: http://herald7.wordpress.com/2007/06/11/5/
That was a very good blog post. Though I never noticed Scooter showing any resentment towards Robin. Robin may have been in most of the songs requested, but he wasn't in "I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly" (requested by The Swedish Chef) or "Inchworm" (requested by Waldorf). And it is ironic because Robin doesn't appear in any of the new footage.

CensoredAlso

Reaction score
That was a very good blog post. Though I never noticed Scooter showing any resentment towards Robin.
Thanks! Well it's not a big part of the show or anything, just a slight annoyance when Scooter keeps wanting to do his song and can't, but they still have time for a Robin song, lol.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Richard Hunt played Camilla in Gonzo Presents Muppet Weird Stuff? Wow, I'll have to see that.
I haven't seen that video in a long time, but it was a great compilation. Too bad most of them aren't on YouTube. The ones I have found on YouTube (The Muppet Revue, Children's Songs and Stories) are actually hard to find if you search the titles (the person who uploaded Children's Songs and Stories listed it as "The Muppets' Songs and Stories", and the person who uploaded The Muppet Revue split it into many parts, titling them "Muppet Show 1" (and 2, and so on) and adding some title, though the best bet for finding them would be to type "the muppet show" and the name of a guest star from that video, and you'll likely find one of the clips, with the introductions made in the video). Somebody uploaded The Kermit and Miss Piggy Story a few years ago, but it seems to have gotten removed.

Watching various clips from The Muppet Revue (which I'm pretty sure is the first of the Playhous Video compilations), at times it seems Kermit is trying to promote the show, sort of like an informercial might. Before introducing the first guest star clip, Kermit says "We don't only have silliness, but we also have great guest stars, like Linda Ronstadt!" When introducing Geri and the Atrics, he says "We not only offer things for kids, but we also offend the older folks!" After Fozzie comments on how weird the "Mahna Mahna" number was, Kermit says "Well think about all the normal stuff we have, too!" (now I guess he meant that even the more normal stuff are weird, but at the time thought he was oblivious to the next sketch, Muppet Labs, being weird) After the "For What It's Worth" clip is shown, he says "We at the Muppet Show are concerned with all causes supporting animals. On the other hand, Sam Eagle is concerned with all sorts of causes." Makes me think, are Kermit and Fozzie just remembering things, or trying to pitch the show (or its reruns) to audiences?

minor muppetz

Reaction score
I've noticed that while Statler and Waldorf were pretty much recast right away after Richard Hunt's casting, they weren't used much between 1993 and 1996.

They were both recast in The Muppet Christmas Carol, having big parts and sounding nothing like they'd been known for (it sounds like Jerry Nelson even used a different voice than the one he gave Statler in his first appearance). Then they were gone for the next few major productions: Muppet Beach Party, Kermit Unpigged, and Muppet Classic Theater. Though I think it was a wise decision to leave them off those albums.

Considering the performers pretty much made the characters their own, I'd be surprised if they'd been practicing the characters during that time between MCC and MTI. It's a shame we never really hear Goelz or Nelson talk about what it was like taking over them, and the other Henson people don't seem to discuss it. Heck, Statler didn't need to play Jacob Marley, and they didn't need a second Marley for Waldorf. Jacob Marley could have been played by JP Grosse or Pops (though it seems less in character for Grosse to learn his lesson, and less in character for Pops to have been mean and greedy in the past).

I do wonder, what if Richard Hunt lived longer and performed Statler to Dave Goelz's Waldorf? I wonder if Hunt would have had any problems adjusting. I know that Hunt and Henson aren't known as a team in the same way as Henson and Oz or Nelson and Hunt were, but still...

Mo Frackle

Reaction score
Can someone please explain for me about a scene in MTM. In the earliest scene at Pete's Luncheon, Kermit asks Pete for eleven bowls of soup, but there were twelve Muppets present (not counting Rizzo). Was Kermit not going to eat? Or were Gonzo and Camilla going to share a bowl? :confused: