Looking to compile rare Sesame songs

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone have some decent (i.e. not too muffled) audio versions of :

1) Jazzy Spies (I like the vocals best in "6" but any good copy will do...are there even any out there? I've only heard muffly ones)
2) Capital "I" (Mine skips)

I'm interested in putting together my own version of the botched box set, at least enough to fill a CD. I can deal with tape-hiss and some bad EQ settings, and even add some mild stereo effects to the old mono recordings. I have a high speed connection, so email me and let me know if I can download some off of anyone (AIFF, WAV, or High MP3's).

Frazzle

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:

1) Jazzy Spies (I like the vocals best in "6" but any good copy will do...are there even any out there? I've only heard muffly ones)

I'm interested in putting together my own version of the botched box set, at least enough to fill a CD. I can deal with tape-hiss and some bad EQ settings, and even add some mild stereo effects to the old mono recordings. I have a high speed connection, so email me and let me know if I can download some off of anyone (AIFF, WAV, or High MP3's).

If anyone can get me a few versions of those songs to try to fix, I can increase the song volume or try to reduce noise. I have the 1969 SS version of Manah Manah & the sound was far too weak. I changed it into a .WAV file, amplified the sound & converted it back to an MP3.
It sounds beautiful now. :sing: :wink:

I'm going to work on a muffled version of the pinball song next.

I especialy liked #4 in the jazzy spies series. Grace's voice sounds super trippy when she's singing "fouur, fouur" when the animated planes fly by.

Frazzle

Reaction score
The Pinball song (#6) Came out great. It plays louder & much clearer. If I can get a copy of Jazzy Spies #6 I'll try to adjust the quality.

mikealan

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:

I have the "Capital I" on one of the few Unpaveds I certainly have. It's from #514. But I don't have #6 of the Jazzy Spies. I have #4 of the Jazzy Spies on one of the Star Wars episodes.

Frazzle

Reaction score
One problem I have is that all of these old gems are on VHS format. How would I go about getting them onto my computer?

Boober_Gorg

Reaction score
Frazzle said:
One problem I have is that all of these old gems are on VHS format. How would I go about getting them onto my computer?
Do what I do: get a Pioneer PDR-509 CD recorder (not a computer model). Then hook it up to your amplifier and hook up the audio cables as follows:

-VCR out to aux in on amp
-amp out to PDR in

Or an easier way:
-VCR out to PDR in (use headphones to hear/adjust the recording level)

Once you've got everything hooked up, you can now record the music onto a blank CDR (or CDRW), finalize the disc, import the tracks into your computer as mp3s, and modify them however you want. Easy peasy 1-2-3sy. :big_grin:

Smy Guiley, did you read my email yet? :wink:

Smy Guiley

Reaction score
Frazzle said:
I am able to import VHS directly into my computer through my DV camera. I've been thinking about this, as I think it would be more satisfying to do them up as videos rather than an audio CD. Maybe I'll just hang in there until I get enough video and do a clip compilation on VCD.

Frazzle

Reaction score
Smy Guiley said:
I am able to import VHS directly into my computer through my DV camera. I've been thinking about this, as I think it would be more satisfying to do them up as videos rather than an audio CD. Maybe I'll just hang in there until I get enough video and do a clip compilation on VCD.
That's what I'd love to accomplish. I have a bunch of old goodies that I would love to share with everyone, but I'm not too good on computer hardware. Odd, figuring I am a graphic artist, but I never realy had to deal with adding on hardware, just software.
:embarrassed:

Frazzle

Reaction score
I was going to attempt to make a techno remix of the Typwriter's trademark "Noo-ne-nooo-ne-noo" I'm not all that great with remixing yet. I need to get that clip in an MP3 format, or get the software to cut an MP3 out of an AVI file. Some of the clips out there are of poor quality, so it's time some of us polished them up. =)

Zet

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've made several audio files from VHS and I do think they turned out as good as it gets for someone without a professional sound card (mine is Turtle Beach Montego...pretty good but not pro).

Frazzle:
For anyone interested in making their own sound files, I'd very strongly recommend the pro application Wave Repair http://www.waverepair.com/.

The trial version is free (and fully functional I believe), after 30 days it's $30 to register. If you'll be doing lots of recording you'll find $30 is well worth it (price other apps that do the same). There are many advanced features (especially for recording from vinyl, like automatically removing pops & crackle) but it's simple to use once you know how.
I'm not affiliated with Wave Repair, by the way (only one guy behind it, which is amazing when you see what the program includes).

I would also strongly recommend using Monkey's Audio to create .APE files from the WAVs you record, rather than making MP3's. The reason is MP3s are compressed and lose some of the original information (quality) whereas .APE files are practically the same size as 256kbit MP3s, but zero quality loss! Also you can play .APE files in Winamp, Windows Media Player, and several other audio players (then you can convert back to WAV easily if you want to burn them to audio CD).
Monkey's Audio is free and includes the Winamp 2 plugin with the download package.
http://www.monkeysaudio.com/download.html

if you have Winamp 3.x, you can get that plugin here http://www.monkeysaudio.com/cgi-bin...&num=1055762089

If anyone would like me to e-mail them some directions I wrote for recording from a VCR I'd be happy to (see my signature below). It covers setting up your VCR, what cable/adapter you need based on your VCR, and a how-to for the most necessary features of Wave Repair. I tried to make them so that someone with basically zero knowledge would be able to get started, plus some more advanced stuff I've learned to maximize your recording's quality (including important stuff about VCR settings that you might not know), as well important info for minimizing size of APE files. I think it will speed up the process significantly for anyone interested (I would have liked to have had something similar when I started!).

Smy:
Here are some of the files I've made already

*capital I
*spies #4 (my fave too, Frazzle...along with #5 which I also ripped but the Sesame tape of that show was distorted)
*daddy dear
*king minus
*E eagle beagle queen peach land of steam
*medieval alphabet
*geese nature film (live...sounds like 1969-style strings and voice)
*everybody eats (live...earliest version)
*fat cat sat
*yo-yo master - lost boy
*he gets mad
*"11 animated funk"
*I'm Pretty (live sung by Northern Calloway)
*Somebody Come & Play (live Raposo)
*Seasons
*Penny Candy Man
*SCHOOL (jazz with heavy percussion)
*Seahorse (live Raposo)
*Starfish (live Raposo)
*Willie Wimple - water
*Take a Bwef (live Raposo)
*Sesame closing theme
*O Goat Crow Toad

I also have some that have hiss (not first gen recordings) or are flawed somehow (audio smudges or even skips from the Sesame source tapes Noggin broadcasts):
*Little Things (good actually but not from master tape...also I have slightly different redone version from master)
*lowercase N
*that's about the size of it
*Little Dollhouse (Noggin but version aired was damaged)
*Bumble Ardy
*monkeys nature film (live)

I keep asking this in my posts, but does anyone reading this who's done some checking themselves know a good free web host?? Doesn't matter if there's banners or even pop-ups, I know a way around them and can tell my visitors. However, I would like it to have the largest bandwidth possible (for a free host). If anyone has any ideas, LMK so I can build a site and upload these

-Z