1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

Mahna Mahna on Diet Cherry Dr. Pepper commercial

Discussion in 'Muppet Appearances' started by bats1990, Jan 31, 2005.

1. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

I really hope this airs during the commercial break of the super bowl! :D ;)
  2. elweasel

elweasel New Member

Dr Pepper commercial song

I believe that the song is Mah Na Mah Na by Pero Umiliani. The song is the theme of "Sweden: Heaven or ****" a shockamentary from the late 60's.Became a hit song in Europe. Pero later named his boat "Mah Na Mah Na"
    The song was also used by Benny Hill. Jim Henson hear the song in Europe and used it in both Seaseme Street and the Muppets. I guess only the ad people know the truth.
  3. FISH'N'WOLFE

FISH'N'WOLFE New Member

That's correct, Henson didn't originate the song. The original song is a great recording as well.
  4. ravagefrackle

ravagefrackle New Member

it is a great song no doubt about it, i think the one most americans are familiar with is Jims, but it has been done many times by many different artists, even the band CAKE did a version for a childrens album about 5 years ago,

i remember a now non existant radio station played about 40 different versions as a tribute.
  5. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

I still don't understand the ad, sorry. I can't see it being in UK, and not having TV.

So, why does everyone start singing Mahna, Mahna? Is it cause the name of the drink is so long and complicated, like Penominom?
  6. sherocks

sherocks New Member

I saw the ad on sunday & I thought it was cute. I had totally forgotten about that bit. Just hearing it made me smile. (& now I can't get it out of my head! ;) )
  7. sherocks

sherocks New Member

8. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

If anyone has seen the new NBC show "Committed" the main character Marni has Mahna Mahna as the ringtone on her cell phone. I immediately had to download it for mine!
  9. Dantecat

Dantecat Active Member

Now that was a really good commercial! I thought it would totally air during the commercial break of the super bowl but now I found it and it was really good! :cool:

By the way,It was the muppet show soundtrack they just used for it(not the sesame street soundtrack). :D
  10. ceecee

ceecee Member

As I've ashamedly admitted here in the past, I never knew what the "Mahna Mahna" song was.......until I saw this commercial. And then I knew what everyone was talking about! I mean, it was somewhat familiar at least. I think I'm a bit too young to have seen it much on Sesame Street, and The Muppet Show is a tad bit before my time too. But I'm excited because now I know how it goes. You should have heard me trying to figure it out before!
  11. Vic Romano

Vic Romano Active Member

AWESOME! Thanks for posting that link, sherocks!
  12. Xela

Xela New Member

Ahh! That is so cool! I finally saw it...online.

Of course, all my friends have seen it a million times, but I have yet to see it on television...
  13. guysmiley4ever

guysmiley4ever New Member

*hysterical laughter* I just saw this commercial on Lifetime.
    Oh dear, I laughed so hard, I cried. *ouch my sides* :sing:

What a hoot! I wasn't expecting that at all. hee hee...
    They like pour the drink and the guy starts singing 'Mahna Mahna'.
    Wow, that is the best commercial I've seen in long time. Gotta love it.
    :D
  14. redBoobergurl

redBoobergurl Well-Known Member

I FINALLY saw this commercial. It is actually quite funny! I also finally saw the Muppets Pizza Hut commercial. They were played almost right in a row on Lifetime tonight. I was so excited I stopped talking in midconversation to my mom!
  15. mupitz

mupitz New Member

Hey there. I believe that Mahna Mahna has appeared in some form on Sam & Friends, Muppet Show, Muppets Tonight and may have been on Sesame Street once as I beleive I saw it listed on a SS album. But I'm not sure about the last one. I bought my daughter "Music, Mayhem and More" for Christmas (she just turne done and I have to share my muppetness with her) and Mahna Mahna is the second track.

I don't remember who said it but I agree, Jim is turning. I hate that Disney has turned my beloved muppets and their music into advertising whores. Sorry if that sounds strong, but I feel strongly about it. Do I love seeing more of them, of course, but all the pizza hut commercials, DOVE, Dr. Pepper and VHI (doing Sing A Song as a montage including Eminem and other artists). It's not what I thought the Muppets were about. But that's just me.
  16. christyb

christyb New Member

That's where the Muppets started out though. Doing commercials. There's Wilkins Coffee and the LaChoy dragon and the list goes on and on.
  17. mupitz

mupitz New Member

Yeah and they are some classic commercials. But it's not selling out when you haven't even made it yet, kwim? You don't see Disney using Mickey Mouse or Goofy to promote sneakers or shampoo. I get that they are trying to increase exposure but is that really the way?
  18. christyb

christyb New Member

Not the way we would like. But, alas the way they are choosing.
  19. mupitz

mupitz New Member

I love your avatar by the way.
  20. christyb

christyb New Member

Thanks. Found it by typing "Kermit" into Google. It's actually a long-distance phone card. I just cropped off the bottom half. It's an unusal picture I think. At least I had never seen it before.