Making some Fraggle Puppets, and I could use some help/wisdom

BoxGhost

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forums, but I've been lurking on here for a little bit, looking for tips and tricks for puppet making. The short of it is that my husband and I are making a few fraggle puppets. We plan to make Boober, old style Gobo from the first season of Fraggle Rock, and ultimately Wembley. We are very new to sewing, but have the body and face made for Boober so far. I can post some pictures later, possibly.

Anyway, I have a few questions, and if anyone could possibly help out, it would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly, my husband and I had our first experience with dying fabric last night, and it didn't go so well. :frown: I think I probably did something wrong, because the fabric didn't dye hardly at all. We purchaed RIT dye at Joann Fabrics, and it was Apple Green, but the fabric, after 2 hours, came out Wembley green! Does anyone have any advice about dying, and what fabrics I should be using or what brand dye I should be using? Someone suggested Tibet Fur for the body, but I don't know much about this, as I'm very new to all of it.

Secondly, my husband is trying to work out how to make Boober's hat, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or patterns for this. We are winging it right now. We've got the rim made, but are having a bit of trouble with the top of the hat.

Actually, I think that's it for now. I know that people sometimes don't like to share patterns, and I totally respect that. I'd be happy with any sort of help. Even a push in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

:excited:

ps - to make the boober puppet, we have used a modified Glorified Sock Puppet pattern, just incase this info is important.

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Thats actually a very easy way to go about making his head.

The project sounds awsome! But i have some advice. Try building other characters of your own, before attempting to make a replica.

I only suggest that because i was there once... and became horrified and scared. I KNOW i can make it better this time... but afride to "fail".

So that goes to show, you must fail before you can learn from your mistakes.

BUT i do wish you LOTS of luck because i for one would LOVE to see how he came out. Is it possible for you to post those pics you have so far?

BTW... for hair, i suggest looking around the forum for ostrich feather websites. I can suggest Tonyhill as i've used that site before, and def will again... but there are other sites that exsist.

BoxGhost

Reaction score
Hey, thanks for replying. We've actually finished boober, and he came out... well, better than expected! :stick_out_tongue:

We're starting a Wembley Fraggle, but it might end in epic failure. I'm prepared for that. I just had my first taste of making a foam underskeleton, and the jury is still out on whether it went well. Here is a picture of a near finished boober fraggle, though:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/haleybrooks/Fraggle/boobernohat.jpg

BoxGhost

Reaction score
Oddly enough, that picture seems to be the missing piece of the puzzle. Also, that's a pretty good picture of old-school gobo. I'd been looking for a pic of him for a little while, cause that's the gobo I'd like to try to make. That helps me so much.

It's hilarious to see so many fraggle heads and bodies though. That's what my basement currently looks like. :stick_out_tongue:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
:eek:Thats some talent you have there. Is that the glorified sock pattern? And is there foam in there?

I've heard of the sock pattern... but i didnt know that they have a pattern for the foam that goes inside... do they?

BoxGhost

Reaction score
:eek:Thats some talent you have there. Is that the glorified sock pattern? And is there foam in there?

I've heard of the sock pattern... but i didnt know that they have a pattern for the foam that goes inside... do they?
Thanks! My husband and I made it together. It was sorta a group effort. That is the glorified sock puppet pattern, and there is foam in it ,but only for the mouth plate. the rest of the head was was a little too floppy, so at the end I stuffed it with some polyfill. If I had it to do over, I probably would have made at least a foam skull to hold it up, but seeing how it was my first puppet, I was just learning. Frankly, I'm amazed it didn't fall apart yet. :stick_out_tongue:

Wembley's next, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I'm working on prototypes right now... I think I'm going to have to make the foam skeleton for the head, but I'm still struggling a bit with that. :frown:

CoOKiE

Reaction score
Well when you're finished with the next guys, be sure to post pictures. i cant wait to see them... and Boober with his hat.

BoxGhost

Reaction score
Well, the first wembley head was a disaster... but I think I know what I did wrong. Good thing I didn't use the good fabric, eh? :stick_out_tongue:

BoxGhost

Reaction score
Here is the near final Boober, if you would like to see him (his scarf is not done yet) I didn't have anyone to hold him for me and pose him, so his mouth's open. Sorry 'bout that :frown:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/haleybrooks/Fraggle/DSC05450.jpg

And here is a prototype for wembley's head. He's the wrong color, and the eyes are just foam balls at the moment, but I'm working on the shape right now. I still don't have it right yet... but I'm closer than I was yesterday:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/haleybrooks/Fraggle/DSC05443.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y84/haleybrooks/Fraggle/DSC05445.jpg