Marcia Wallace voice of Edna Krabappel passes away

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, it seems they're going to do the "respectful" thing and retire the character.

Pfft. Best of luck with that. No matter what they do, they're going to look like jerks whatever they do to Ned. As far as Bart's teacher goes... are they just going to come up with a Replacement Scrappy, or just make Skinner teach the class and be principle? If they don't try and use Jasper, that's a paddlin'.

Xerus

Reaction score
I always felt sorry for Principal Skinner when he lost Edna to Ned and it seemed like he would never get her back. Edna gave Seymour the courage to stand up to bullies like his mother and Superintendent Chalmers. Now with Edna gone, it looks like Seymour will be forced to move on.

Teheheman

Reaction score
Well, it seems they're going to do the "respectful" thing and retire the character.

Pfft. Best of luck with that. No matter what they do, they're going to look like jerks whatever they do to Ned. As far as Bart's teacher goes... are they just going to come up with a Replacement Scrappy, or just make Skinner teach the class and be principle? If they don't try and use Jasper, that's a paddlin'.

I don't think they'll use Jasper(Mostly cause he'd probably get his beard caught in the pencil sharpener too many times lol) but I DO think they'll find a suitable replacement, or maybe let Bart and the gang go to the 5th grade with a different teacher. The only way you'd get to move on with "Nedna" is to also get rid of the Flanders character and I don't think they'd be willing to do that. They would have to find a way to write that character off SOMEHOW, but I think retiring the character is the right thing to do. NOBODY could do that character the way that Marcia Wallace did. I mean, it's not like it was a minor character like Lunch Lady Doris that only had a line or 2 an episode, this was Bart's teacher. She's had whole storylines dedicated to her. People are gonna know she sounds different, especially fans of the show.

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
That's the problem. Either she sounds different, or there's a huge chasm that has to be filled by another character. Something us Muppet fans should know.

Best thing they can do is reduce her to an offscreen character and have the relationship with Ned still on, just... well... like Marris from Frasier. Or reduce her to an archival "HA!" every so often.

Drtooth

Reaction score
Well, the Simpsons tribute to Marcia was a very small but poignant scene...
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/11/the-simpsons-pays-moving-tribute-to-marcia-wallace/

That picture's gonna haunt me all day. :cry: Very powerful use of the most iconic of Simpsons imagery.

As for the "death" that the Simpsons writers were planning... I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN! The trolling creators created 2 random characters that just appeared now that died. One, an off-screen character known as "Chip" who was (like Minimoose on Zim) with them the whole time, and a former girlfriend of Mr. Burns. Jokes on us once again.

snichols1973

Reaction score
The writers introduce Chip Davis with a "Remember the New Guy" trope http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/RememberTheNewGuy
whose memorial service segues into a "RetGone" scenario,
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/RetGone
which makes about as much sense as if Happy Days had started production and "Open House" (original airdate January 7, 1975) were to be the first episode, while the 1974 episodes wouldn't have existed, because they would never have been filmed.

I'm typing this hypothetical situation that never was, because Chuck Cunningham's last known visual appearance was in the "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas" episode [Dec. 17, 1974], and if it had started in January 1975 instead of 1974 (its actual network premiere), it would have taken the future episodes where he was mentioned by name only and given him the "Un-person" treatment
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/UnPerson
which would have changed him into a "Ret-Gone" character.

If it seems confusing, feel free to check out the trope references for further information....

Teheheman

Reaction score
As for the "death" that the Simpsons writers were planning... I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN! The trolling creators created 2 random characters that just appeared now that died. One, an off-screen character known as "Chip" who was (like Minimoose on Zim) with them the whole time, and a former girlfriend of Mr. Burns. Jokes on us once again.

The 'death of the character' isn't going to be until 2014. They actually haven't even told the voice of the actor whose character is getting killed off(Although there ARE theories).

Daniel

Drtooth

Reaction score
It's official.

They killed the character off. Off screen, but last night's Simpsons (The Man Who Grew To Much) had an end of episode stinger that reveals that she died, and now Ned's in mourning. It was touching, but it's really mean to old Ned to be a twice time widower.