Marketing? I hadn't thought that far in advance.

HandySam

Reaction score
Where should I market the puppets I have made? Is Ebay really the best place? Would many people even see them there? I'd really like to make whole lines of puppets to sell at some kind of show where many people would get a chance to see my work. Sort of an art gallery/ vendor's exhibition thing would be perfect I'd think. I better look into getting a tax number and what ever else I might need to get started. Tips? Hints on how to market them? Do's and don'ts?

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
When I had a puppet building shop we occasionally put puppets up on ebay but found we rarely got what they were worth. The ebay market seems geared towards collectible puppets (like Pelhams or puppets from movies & TV shows), puppets by notable builders (like Terry Angus) or cheap Muppet-style puppets that go for about $30.

I'd guess that the craft show fair would be a good way to start. You could start out with Church/school craft sales and eventually work your way up to big shows like The One of a Kind in Chicago/Toronto/Montreal or even trade shows for buyers for gift/specialty shops. Once you're comfortable with the work you're producing you can try getting an article in a local newspaper or maybe appear on a cable access show to promote your work. I think a professional-looking web site with your own domain name (not a Geocities site) helps a lot. Google's Ad Word service is really great for Internet advertising. There's a good book written for self-publishers called Jump Start Your Book Sales that has lots of good publicity/marketing ideas you could easily adapt to puppets.

You should talk to Michelle from Puppet Planet - she started a business like this up recently and seems to have done really well so far through word of mouth.

Judy Folkmanis (of Folkmanis Puppets fame) started out selling her "Furry Folk" puppets on the streets of Berkeley in the 70s and now has a big company that sells puppets all over the world so anything is possible!

DPuppets

Reaction score
I agree with Buck...you need a good website. I think another area you need to look at is children's conferences or creative arts festivals. These two areas are always looking for vendors. You pay like 100 dollars per table but...it gets your name out there and puts it in front of people who are really looking for that type of product. For ours we have only done those two things. We have a web site and teaching at conferences and festivals were we put a table up. Alot has come just word of mouth. We do all of Atlanta's American Red Crosses. From that we picked up alot of customers in state and county work. Also you might want to think this who is your market. Who are you trying to market too? Who are going to be the most likely consumers of your product and market towards them.

HandySam

Reaction score
Is there still much of a market for high end puppets? I mean I know I love 'em. The ladies and gentlemen of this forum love 'em, but what kind of people really look for rod arm and live hand puppets that aren't the $30 kind? I've just never seen them advertised before. I'm not gullable enough to think I would ever make it rich building puppets. I really just enjoy it. Maybe its my area but there doesn't seem to be many puppeteers here. How might I find out if there are others? Is there a national puppeteers thing or something like that? Some kind of locator available online?

Fozzie Bear

Reaction score
HandySam said:
Is there still much of a market for high end puppets? Some kind of locator available online?
There are but you have to market to them when you find them (mostly churches and private organizations). There is a classifieds section of the publications and website of Puppeteers of America. Don't forget that there are "for sale and trade" sections of all the forums you visit if not some sort of General Discussion threads you can post in. There's also your local papers and word of mouth--oh, and don't forget: Do puppet shows! The best advertisement for your wares is when people see them in action!

Foz

Beebers

Reaction score
HandySam said:
Is there a national puppeteers thing or something like that? Some kind of locator available online?
Contact Puppeteers of America, become a member, and visit their site. They're invaluable in every way.

:cool:

Buck-Beaver

Reaction score
HandySam said:
Is there still much of a market for high end puppets? I mean I know I love 'em. The ladies and gentlemen of this forum love 'em, but what kind of people really look for rod arm and live hand puppets that aren't the $30 kind? I've just never seen them advertised before. I'm not gullable enough to think I would ever make it rich building puppets. I really just enjoy it.
I think there is a psychological price ceiling for mass-market puppets of about $65. If you go over that you're selling to hobbyists or professional puppeteers and there is a limited market - though lots of people do well that way.

I found most people either needed really high end puppets (for film/TV/theatre) or low end puppets for school, personal use, etc. It's difficult to complete at the high end when you are starting out.

I think the people who do well at this (and do it more or less as a serious full/part time business have a line of mass-produced puppets and then take commissions for custom work.