Master Replicas Gonzo Photo Puppet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aberforth

Reaction score
Disneyshopping.com

Hey everyone...

I never post, but I had to make sure everyone knew about this...

Travis has convinced me to purchase a Gonzo. I was originally going to wait until we got some fan pictures, but I just can't wait now.

Anyway, I was on disneyshopping.com looking at other items, when I saw they were offering 30% off (Code: BONUS) and $5 shipping (Code: SHIPFOR5). I bought :concern: and the final price ended up at $190!:smile:

I just wanted to pass along this great deal, plus, buying from disneyshopping will help show Disney how popular the Muppets are!

Was Once Ernie

Reaction score
Otherwise, I'm afraid Gonzo is going to kill this line (let's face it, Animal really doesn't look enough like Animal out of the box to fly off shelves either). Unfortunately, I can't imagine more than a handful of people are going to buy Gonzo considering how much he costs and how (sorry, honestly) bad he looks.
I have to disagree with you on Animal. I know a lot of people on here customized him, but I haven't done a thing to mine (other than to smooth his "hair" and shape his eyebrows*, but then you have to constantly do that with the real Muppets, too) and I love him. I haven't even colored the eyelid shell yet (which is the one thing I will probably eventually do) because the way I have him posed, you can't see it. If Animal isn't flying off the shelves, it's because he's very big and very expensive. It takes a specialized collector to want to make room for something that big.

*I don't mean cutting, I mean separating strands of fake fur and making them stand up, which you have to do with any kind of fake fur.

:stick_out_tongue:

Davina

Reaction score
I for one definately plan to get Animal eventually... We had put him on hold to wait and see as there had been so much speculation.. then when we decided to go ahead and get him.. well, i was in a car accident and the money had to go elsewhere... by the time we got the money set aside for him again, well.. we had a $600 emergency vet bill come up.. and then Christmas, my mother in law passed away, grand baby was born, we're trying to save up for IVF or adoption, etc etc... so it just hasn't happened yet.. another few months and we'll be back in the money and can set some aside for these guys again (plus start up our Fozzie/Piggy/whoever fund..) they will be here eventually though.. so for me.. slow moving product is good.. gives me time to get caught up :smile:

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
I don't understand why so many people are acting so crazed over the Gonzo replica. After seeing the photos I agree that it doesn't look 100% like Gonzo from the front but from the side view (except the nose) it's looks amazing. There is no way that a Muppet replica will look 100% acurate unless it is made from exactly the same material by a Muppet craftsman. That's it. You only have to change one material and it will automatically look different. Whoever said (I sincerely apologise for not knowing who is who, I haven't been on this forum very long) "either buy or don't buy" has got it spot on. From the photos I can tell it is a quailty piece of work and is in no way anything like a plush or doll. I have several Gonzo plushes from over the years and a Gonzo bagpack and none of them look even remotely like the weirdo in comparison to this replica. From a distance and when posed with the other replicas in your possession, the Gonzo replica will look amazing. If you look at high quality photos of official Muppet posers you can see where hands have been joined onto arms, eyes that don't seem central and all other kinds of "faults" but you only notice this kinda stuff when you are actually looking close up. (Check out the large photo of Animal in the Of Muppets & Men book). Either way, these things might be a little costly but I am sure no one will have to remortgage their house to afford it and what you get is a limited edition, quality Muppet product that may never come round again. Let's enjoy them for what they are!

Luke

Reaction score
From a distance and when posed with the other replicas in your possession, the Gonzo replica will look amazing.
So basically you're saying that Gonzo is ok as long as you look at him way across the room and use the other replicas to draw attention away from his less flattering bits. I dunno, i mean he does seem to look better from a distance, but i think even Master Replicas probably would have liked to score higher than that.

I do agree that you aren't gonna get an exact replica with different materials but people aren't happy because they haven't done too badly on the first two, its close enough. So all this commotion is a compliment really, lol. These are one shots, the fact Gonzo is way off gets to them because they want a fantastic Gonzo and they know it isn't gonna come from anyone else.

Anyway i'm chilled on Gonzo. That ships sailed, literally! lol. More concerned that the Bear becomes the saviour of the line! :embarrassed:

frogboy4

Inactive Member
Reaction score
My critiques may have seemed harsher than intended...

Realistically I think Gonzo is somewhere between a very nice doll and an accurate replica. I never meant to imply that he isn't worth getting. On the contrary I think he is definitely worth purchasing by the avid Muppet fan with the cash in hand. I hope he moves.

I feel much better now that our friend, fellow Muppet fan and Master Replicas' Travis is on the task. There also will likely be less confusion about what the finished product will look like as there was with Gonzo. I know the bear will be great.

By the way, the suit color is spot-on! My only real concern is the nose texture because I was so excited to see what the resolution would be. I also wonder how the nose color and shading will look in person.

Once Gonzo is ready to ship I will place my order as planned.

Mistersuperstar

Reaction score
So basically you're saying that Gonzo is ok as long as you look at him way across the room and use the other replicas to draw attention away from his less flattering bits.
No, I'm just saying you rarely see a high resolution photograph of one character by themself and I am guessing that when he photographed from a distance (as he would be in a Muppet group shot) he will look fine.

I just think many people are being a little harsh with their criticisms. It is obvious that MR wouldn't purposely make a replica that fans would hate and they have put an awful lot of time and effort into this particular replica. If making him exact was an option I am sure they would have gone for it. They do, of course, want to sell as many of these as they can and as quickly as they can.

MuppetCaper

Reaction score
Hey everyone...

I never post, but I had to make sure everyone knew about this...

Travis has convinced me to purchase a Gonzo. I was originally going to wait until we got some fan pictures, but I just can't wait now.

Anyway, I was on disneyshopping.com looking at other items, when I saw they were offering 30% off (Code: BONUS) and $5 shipping (Code: SHIPFOR5). I bought :concern: and the final price ended up at $190!:smile:

I just wanted to pass along this great deal, plus, buying from disneyshopping will help show Disney how popular the Muppets are!

It is only $174.00 If I where to get mine from there! Not a bad deal!

Luke

Reaction score
No, I'm just saying you rarely see a high resolution photograph of one character by themself and I am guessing that when he photographed from a distance (as he would be in a Muppet group shot) he will look fine.
I have seen him photographed from a distance, he does! I'm sure there are minor things (aside the nose) which could have been sorted, like Animal, but yeah MR are doing a great job and i would guess a lot of those problems are down to the factories not having experienced these sort of things before.

lithiumbrain

Reaction score
It's really hard to find riticulated foam blocks. I looked all over the net for another project I was doing and if you do find them, they can be expensive. I wanted to get this foam in 35 PPI, but like I said, I am not havin any good luck finding it.
They are hard to find. I got real lucky one day. I was at a foam and upholstery shop near where I live. I saw a ton of reticulated foam sheets and blocks in a corner. I asked the salesman how much and he said that some guy ordered those to use for some filtration system and never picked them up. I got the whole bunch for $40!

Status
Not open for further replies.