1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. Sesame Street Season 45
    Sesame Street's 45th season officially begins Monday September 15. After you see the new episodes, post here and let us know your thoughts.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

MASTER REPLICAS @ Toy Fair 08

Discussion in 'Muppet Replicas' started by antonydavanzo, Feb 20, 2008.

1. MuppetCaper

MuppetCaper Active Member

I think that if you look at anyones pictures on here about any of the posers, it would make others change there minds! ;)
  2. MuppetCaper

MuppetCaper Active Member

....and I think you where missing the point on this one.
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I agree with you on this point. I think there was a market for this stuff before Sideshow and Palisades, but these don't bring much new to the table but added expense. They are fair to good looking (except the Animal figurine). The items could get enough takers, but not as many as the other offerings you mentioned.

Woa! Eeek! Most of the images online are terrible pictures taken by staff photograpers treating each poser like a box of Cornflakes instead of an actual Muppet character with personality. The official photography flat out sucks! I wish it weren't so, but that is the correct term. I have to say that in all honesty and there's no reason for it. I wouldn't have bought Animal or Gonzo based on the snapshots up on MR's site even if I had Bill Gates kind of money.

That being said, mass production of a completely authentic Muppet is impossible, but I deem these as "limited edition commercial posers" that incorporate authentic or similar materials as production posers. There are some alterations that had to be made before bringing these to market - some I agree with, others I don't, and I assure you none were made to withold a level of accuracy. In any case, these really are not dolls.

:search: I thought Gonzo was "dollish" from the original photographs, but nope. He is a poser and a beautiful art piece. I get what you are saying and felt similar, but I don't think it can be best explained in words or even most pictures. You gotta actually hold one to get the full scope!

This is as honest as I can be on the matter. I do agree with how these companies (Palisades especially and now Master Replicas) have reignited the Muppet property in many areas. I see Henson trying to replicate that with MINDstyle and not quite hitting the mark. We fans don't need anything too elaborate - just simple products commercially available at reasonable prices. Heck, I'd go for some Muppet, Fraggle, Dark Crystal and Labyrinth PVC minis. There's some easy money there that keeps getting overlooked! :scary:

Here is a photo I just snapped of how my Muppets look at this very moment. If you ever wanted an actual Muppet and have the opportunity to snag any of these I highly recommend that. :)
  4. doc hopper

doc hopper Member

it begins.
  5. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by beaker
    I've been an avid Muppet fan since the early Reagan era.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Was Once Ernie
    I've been a Muppet fan since long before you were born.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by doc hopper
    it begins.

:eek: I lived in DC down the street from half of Reagan's cabinet in the 81-82 Muppet era! WhaddaIwinnn? :confused:
  6. Telly

Telly Active Member

I'd rather have the photo props rather than actual puppets
  7. Was Once Ernie

Was Once Ernie New Member

8. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

I'm tempted to agree with that point. That guy is talented, but his sales bother me too. I just think that it's the difference in owning a film and television star or owning a life-size replica of him. I feel the painting expample is "apples and oranges" compared to this.

I can understand owning a Kermit poser, but I don't want just anybody to have one of "the" Kermits on their hand to do with whatever they please. You Tube videos aside, I do feel it weakens the Muppet brand to do so and takes something special away from the actual Kermit. Not that anyone could do what Jim did or Steve does with Kermit. When Disney bought the Muppet brand that's is largely the puppets themselves. It makes sense for them to protect that by not issuing authentic puppets for public use.

I'm surprised that more hasn't been done with the posers on You Tube. Don't want to tempt fate so I'll stop mentioning that now.

Thanks. I like the expression Bowie's Goblin King is giving Gonzo. :concern:
  9. Luke

Luke Active Member

I agree. Well done Jamie. Really hot pictures, as always! :zany:
  10. Bear Man

Bear Man Member

Very awesome. Every time I see something like this I go to the MR site and have to remind myself I don't know yet if I'll have a tax return or tax bill!

That said, two pieces of (I hope) constructive criticism: first, try to have them all focusing on the one point rather than three different places (I know this is just random posig, but...) and second, have you tried seeing what the Frog looks like with his body more at a 45 degree angle, pushing his head forward?
  11. Was Once Ernie

I have to disagree with you on this. As much as we think of them as film and television stars, they are actually only pieces of cloth sewed together very artistically. They are works of art in the same sense as a painting.

This is the real relevant point. I have replicas of other famous puppets, but I can't do what their creators did, so I don't think it damages the brand. However, whatever their reasons are, Disney has no current plans to put out puppet replicas anyway, so we can hold off this discussion until, or if, they do.

:p
  12. beaker

beaker Well-Known Member

They are meticulously detailed, just facial wise they don't strike me as looking like the real deal. Hey just my opinion(and I have seen some of these up close)
    Either way Im happy they've been made and have added to the muppet excitement.
  13. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

That's the first thing I did when I took Kermit out of the box last year was to pull his head and neck forward and it still is. There's a comic shop in the city that has him posed so stiffly with his neck perfectly upright (like how Jim Henson demonstrated as incorrect in that video on YouTube). I see no issue with my Kermit's positioning. Maybe it's just the angle of the snapshot, but I very much like how I have the frog now and view the neck placement on my poser to be fairly accurate from the front and side views.

The body is another issue. I worry that pulling his body out at a complete 45 degrees could prove to put more wear on the poser over time with little real visual improvement. I have tried it and prefer not doing that. He usually doesn't look that way in full body poses anyway. The one thing I haven't tried with Kermit is posing him with a scrunchy face. I really don't want to tax the material any more than I have. Have you had any attempts at this? I am quite concerned about longevity. :)

I do like the idea of having the characters focus on one spot. That's my cellphone screensaver, but the image quality isn't the greatest. I'll snap a photo of that later. ;)
  14. Bear Man

Bear Man Member

I've scrunched his face a couple of times maybe, I don't know that it would impact on the longevity of the material that much, but I find that it takes so long for me to get the hape of his face right that I really don't like repositioning it very often. I'll play around with his arms and legs, but that face can be so temperamental that once I have him in a classic frog-like smile, I tend to leave him that way.

Can't wait to see more photos - really like what you do with these guys!
  15. Was Once Ernie

I'm not sure that's as much of a problem on the poser as it is on the puppet. On the puppet, if you hold him upright, his head flattens out making him look like Kermit the Duck. But on the poser, his head doesn't flatten that way.

I've been afraid to do this, too. While you can get his mouth back to being flat, from the pictures I've seen, it looks like the red material on the inside of his mouth is never the same after it's been stretched that way.

:p
  16. Luke

Luke Active Member

I disagree, i think theres been a lot of fan pictures of these replicas that have been almost as bad as Master Replicas. There are a couple of people on here though who do understand how to pose a Muppet, how to position them, how to re-do eye focus, how to light them and yes, their pictures look fantastic, even near real Muppet poser quality. It isn't easy to do and takes a lot of skill - which is why i think people take issue with the work to be done on these. You see the pictures and think "i want that" and then you get it home and it never looks like it.
  17. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Focal Point

My attempt at creating a poser common focal point. Not the best picture I've snapped, but fun. :o
  18. Telly

Telly Active Member

haha I like how you have incorporated the Palisades figures with the replicas! I did that too. I had Kermit playing with the backstage playset. :cool:
  19. Blinky_Fish

Blinky_Fish Member

Phew!... I though you were going to say that you made a leather hood and chaps... That's Travis' thing:rolleyes:
  20. Telly

Telly Active Member

:shifty: Haha Blinky! Well, I'd do that if that's what it takes to get Travis to get Rizzo into my house!