1. Welcome to the Muppet Central Forum!
    You are viewing our forum as a guest. Join our free community to post topics and start private conversations. Please contact us if you need help with registration or your account login.

2. "Muppets Most Wanted" Fan Reactions
    After you see "Muppets Most Wanted", read fan reactions and let us know your thoughts on the Muppets eighth theatrical film.

3. "Muppets Most Wanted" Original Soundtrack
    With a new Muppet movie one of the most anticipated merchandise releases is the official soundtrack. Listen to the Muppets Most Wanted original soundtrack now playing on Muppet Central Radio.

MC isn't what it used to be

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by ssetta, Jun 18, 2008.

1. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Just as we like discussing Muppet goings-on pre-and-post the passings of Jim, Richard, & others.
  2. Mokeystar

Mokeystar Member

I know for a fact that several current MC members, Xerus, mikebennedict, fuzzygobo and I (as well as I'm sure a few others who are regulars here) were there with you on the Sesame boards at YL and remember it fondly.

Here's a suggestion: Scan the archives of Yesterdayland.com and resurrect some of the topics we used to discuss on the YL Sesame board years ago. If you go to archive.org and enter "yesterdayland.com" into the "Wayback Machine", it will take you to pages of archived material. A lot of it will take you to dead ends, but quite a bit of it will take you back to the Sesame pages of long ago. It's not only a great flash back in time for those of us who like a quick trip of YL nostalgia, but it can be a treasure trove of great posts with the kind of material you're looking for if you search hard enough. Good luck!
  3. frogboy4

frogboy4 Inactive Member

Well yesterday Cookie Monster appeared on the Colbert Report and was fantastic. Despite still having to explain that cookies are a sometimes food and that, as an omnivore, he also eats veggies; Cookie was in top form! David Rudman does him justice! He was a little sarcastic when talking about Elmo. That was great. I remember a time when the furry red guy wasn't even in the character assortment for promotional items like posters and albums. Now he's all we get - until now. Elmo will always be around, but I think the tide is changing a bit. Elmo has a place, new Abby has her place and the classic characters are coming back into view.
  4. Taco Monster

Taco Monster Member

I'm an old-school SS fan who hasn't been at this board that long, doesn't post that often, and doesn't know nearly as much about classic SS as a lot of the veterans probably do. But I don't think that makes me less of a "true" fan. As others have said, everybody's a "newbie" at some point, and what may seem like common knowledge to you will seem new and fascinating to others. It's also possible that most questions have either been answered, or will be up in the air indefinitely. I'm sure that if and when details about Old School Vol. 3 are announced, there will be more discussion. I know I'll be stoked!

Also, while you may not appreciate the current SS much, it is still just as relevant to the Muppet universe as the current episodes. You also noted that people discuss the Muppet segments more than the films, cartoons and so forth - well, remember that this is first and foremost a Muppet forum.

I will state for the record that I also don't appreciate the last 15 or so years off SS much, and that while I do enjoy The Muppet Show and some of its offshoots, I'm not as passionate about them as I am about classic SS. I just think we need to remember that this is not strictly a classic SS board. You could always create one if you feel the need, or as others suggested, you could bring up any topic you feel like discussing.
  5. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Not to mention that you could visit the "Classic Sesame" section of the forum.
  6. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Also one can Scan the previous posts here as well.
  7. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Yeah. We've covered a lot of ground regarding Sesame's past.
  8. fuzzygobo

fuzzygobo Well-Known Member

The trip to YesterdayLand

I'm with you on this one. I remember YesterdayLand in its prime, circa 2002. That's where Mokeystar and I met. It was a very special place for a time, because we were all roughly the same age, so we had pretty common experiences. And the passion was definitely there. Every night I couldn't wait to log on and see what new topic there was to be discussed.

I'm not saying it was like an exclusive or elite club, but the dozen or so of us that had that board rocking were THERE when Sesame Street was new. New fans and younger people were always welcome, but for a while it was the old geezers like us that shaped the dynamic and tone of the threads.

And yes, it was intense. For a while. But like a sunspot, that intensity was bound to burn out. Eventually there too, we started to run out of Old School topics to talk about. I know how you feel, that that intense period was brief. But if it lasted longer, it probably would not have been as special.

MC has its merits too. But trying to recreate YL would be impossible. As someone else once said, "You can't reheat a souffle". YL was special because we were in the right place at the right time. I'll always cherish YL as well.

Think of it like this. It's like the twelve of us were in a subway car. We had a great journey together. Then the train reached the station and we got off. Everyone went in different directions. Some you'll see again, some not. The next train ride will be different, with different passengers, and maybe the train will take a different route.

But I'll always remember that trip with you. It was a good one.
    There might even be others as good as that one, you never know. If it never happens again, at least we got memories to hold on to, and that's a lot.

Peace- Brian:D
  9. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

10. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Another problem is and while I don't know if it's major but besides those running out of out stuff, I kind of wonder if there's just not very many people joining the forums?
  11. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, it's just one of those things...
    Up until I joined here I had always loved SS and the muppets with all my heart and soul, but it just never came to mind that somewhere there was a forum for it on the internet, let alone one with a huge number of members that had been there for years and years...
    So it's not so much that there is no one that wants to join as it is the word is just not out about this place as much as it could be in the internet at large :sympathy:.
  12. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

We need to get exposure out there. dang it!
  13. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

You do, there is like a huge part of our generation in my part of the US that would join alone IMHO :excited:
  14. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Nah, I think were doing okay.
  15. Beauregard

Beauregard Well-Known Member

On the other hand...as it is now, we have a great number of very close friends here. If we were truely flooded with members we'd never get to know each others names or problems or lives (think IMDb, or something). I think we get the right people here, prople who truely love the Muppets/SS/etc enough to find us and join.
  16. mikebennidict

mikebennidict New Member

Yet I would think those who go online and are aware of the fact there are discussion fourms out there on various stuff one should be able to find places like this.
  17. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Is there a site the collects just a list of active forums on all sorts of types of fandoms somewhere? It seems like there would be:search:...
  18. Ilikemuppets

Ilikemuppets New Member

Yeah, I like the sort of homey, intimate, close feel and bond that we have here. It's like a little community that we share with each other.
  19. wwfpooh

wwfpooh New Member

Agreed. We're like family, practically.
  20. Redsonga

Redsonga Active Member

Well, a few new active members couldn't hurt things that much I don't think...Until the next Muppet or FR comes out and we are flooded of course ;) *lol*