Middle Names

AndyWan Kenobi

Reaction score
Beebers said:
Laurel Anne. You knew you were in very deep manure if both your names were used, in our house growing up. Very deep indeed.
Yup--I understand completely. Why is that? If the last name is thrown in, is even more serious. "Andrew James Clinton, get your [rear] down here!"

:concern:

Whatever

Reaction score
Beebers said:
You knew you were in very deep manure if both your names were used, in our house growing up. Very deep indeed.
Yep, well in my house I was very rarely in trouble, it was my sister. So Mom was so used to saying "Deborah Lynn" that Lynn became the middle name of trouble. Me and my brother get called "Elizabeth Lynn" or "Michael Lynn" or occasionally "Michael James Lynn" when we are in trouble! My sister thinks this is unfair!
BTW, my middle name is really Anne too!

Beebers

Reaction score
I have a theory, that Ann and Anne just roll right off the spoken end of any first name so neatly, you can glue it to any name and have it work, that's why it's The Universal Middle Name. It's just easier, saves new parents lots of work. It's hard enough coming up with a good first name. Nowadays they won't even let you out of the hospital till you've legally named your baby. So sometimes you have to hurry, if you haven't thought of anything.
My ex-husband was never given a middle name, he really appreciates the general simplicity of that. I think his parents just forgot but I've never told him that.
The deep-manure-double-name-syndrome; it really packs a punch, that's why they use it. It's the automatic signal that you are Total Toast, Go Straight To The Dungeon Do Not Pass Go. It's so automatic, it's a real time-saver, no discussions needed. Because you yourself actually know why two names are being employed.

FISH'N'WOLFE

Reaction score
tiggie0686 said:
Well then consider yourself lucky cause Alvin is about 10 times worse than Allen, which isn't even a bad name, so shut it! :wink:

BTW, sorry if I blew your secret.

Oh yeah, and to anyone named Alvin...no offense or anything.
I know a chipmunk named Alvin, and he's pretty offended! :crazy:

Phantom

Reaction score
I've never liked my name. Benjamin Gary...I don't know, it's just not cool. Of course I go by Ben, but it's sort of MEH.

My son's first name is Bruin and my daughter is Keelin Brielle.

Phantom

Reaction score
Thanks. The only trouble is the staff for the kids doctor calls Bruin, "Brian". You think they would get that right after all the money I pay them.

Keelin is a Gaelic name meaning "slender and fair". She is sort of stubby and dark-headed, but she's only a toddler and she'll grow. Besides, no one around here speaks Gaelic.

leliebel

Reaction score
Wilhelmina

My moms first name, but we call her Willy, don't start it's a unisex name in dutch :stick_out_tongue:

Also a dutch queen, grandmother to the current one.

I think my grandmother had Wilhelmina in her name...

somewhere...