Minor Muppetz' TMS outline: Danny Devito & Oscar

minor muppetz

Reaction score
This is my first Muppet Show outline, and my first post in the fan fiction section. the episode takes place during the fifth season. the outline format is similar to how the muppet show episode guides at muppet central is like.

Cold Opening/ Lobby
Pops sees danny Devito walking into the lobby. danny comments that on his show he is behind a cage, but on this show Pops is. pops expects Danny Devito to be as mean as his Louie DePalma character from Taxi, but is assured that he is not like his taxi character. After he leaves, Bruno carries Oscar the Grouch to the theatre, and Pops suspects that Oscar is not really as mean as he is on Sesame Street, but is proven wrong.

Introduction
kermit announces that tonights show has two guests: Danny Devito and oscar the grouch. he then introduces the opening number.

Opening Number: "Rock The Boat"
Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem perform Rock the Boat on a boat that rocks back and fourth. Dr. teeth sings lead vocals, and the band is joined by some penguins, Boppity, Droop, and Luncheon Counter Monster.

Backstage
Danny devito arrives backstage to talk to the electric mayhem about how great they are, and are all stunned to knwo that he is not really mean (yes, zoot and lips do get some lines).

Introduction
kermit The frog introduces Fozzie bear.

Fozzies Act
As usual, Statler and waldorf heckle Fozzie, who is now used to being heckled. However, Oscar (in a trash can near the orchestra pit) and Danny devito (from backstage, condradicting what he proved about not really being mean) heckle him, and he isn't used to being heckled by the guest stars.

Muppet Sports
Todays sport is bowling ball throwing. Danny Devito (in a football uniform) throws a bowling ball so hard that nobody knows where it lands.

Balcony
Statler and Waldorf believe that the bowling ball wanted to escape the theatre.

Backstage
oscar is a little happy that the eople at the theatre (besides Kermit) are different from those on sesame Street (and enjoys all the disasters), but groans when Telly Monster arrives (he wanted to see his "best friend" perform on stage).

Intoduction
kermit introduces a muppet talk show.

Trash Talk with Oscar the grouch
oscar is the host, and talks about trash. his guests are Beauregard, Rizzo, and Beaker.

U.K. Spot/ Introduction
kermit mentions that since joining the cast, lips hasn't done much, so kermit proudly introduces a trumpet solo by Lips.

U.K. Spot: a trumpet Solo by Lips
Lips briefly introduces himself ("I'm Lips, The trumpet Player!") and performs a rousing trumpet solo. the audience wildly applauds, and Lips says thank you a few times.

U.K. Spot/ Balcony
Statler hopes that the loud trumpet solo effects their hearing so much that they can't hear the rest of the show, and waldorf asks, "what?"

Bear On Patrol
Patrol Bear arrests Oscar, who is a dangerous litterbug and disturbs the peace. oscar likes how polluting and being distrubtive makes people angry, and both fozzie and link don't think that a jail sentence is a good enough punishment, but since somebody has to goto jail (fo no apparant reason) link and fozzie arrest themselves, making oscar happy.

Backstage/ Dressing Room
Scooter tells Danny Devito to get ready for the next act, but danny devito refuses to do it. Scooter then goes to oscar (who is being carried by bruno), and oscar refuses to do the next act (but only because somebody is needed on stage). Telly offers to do the act.

Introduction
kermit introduces Miss Piggy and telly Monster.

Sketch
Miss Piggy and telly play a couple at a fancy resturaunt (where Louis kazager is their waiter, and other resturaunt patrons include Floyd and Janice at one table, Lips and Trumpet Girl at another table, and Annie Sue Pig and The newsman at another table). telly gets stage fright and messes up his lines. Miss Piggy gets angry and karate-chops telly.

Balcony
Statler and waldorf comment that that was the highlight of the show.

Closing Number: I Love trash
oscar (in his can held by bruno) leads the closing number, and is joined by danny Devito, Rizzo and some other rats, Boppity, Luncheon Counter Monster, beauregard, gaffer, and some pigs. The number takes place at a garbage dump.

Good Night
kermi closes the show by having danny devito enter the stage first, then oscar and bruno, then Tely (who is now scared of miss Piggy and gets hit on the head with the bowling ball from the Muppet Sports sketch, which finally makes it's way around the world), then louis kazager (who announces that danny made the bowling ball go around the world). they are also joined by Fozzie, Gaffer, Janice and Lips.

Balcony/ after credits
statler and waldorf ask oscar and telly (both in the balcony) what the show was sponsord by, and oscar says, "the word boo!".

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
I like it! One minor point, I would love to see some more of the actual dialogue. But I like the bowling ball bit (sounds like a tongue twister) and how everybody expected Danny Devito to be mean. Great job minor muppetz!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
I like it! One minor point, I would love to see some more of the actual dialogue. But I like the bowling ball bit (sounds like a tongue twister) and how everybody expected Danny Devito to be mean. Great job minor muppetz!
Yeah, the bowling ball bit is similar to a gag in the Road Runner cartoon Stop, Look, And Hasten, where Wile E. Coyotie uses a steel wall to suddenly pop up from the gorund in time for Road Runner to crash into it. However, the wall doesn't pop up, so wile E. Coyotie tried to see what was wrong (and the audience probably thought the gad was going to backfire then), but nothing happened. after a few more gags, Wile E. Coyotie used some leg muscle pills to make him run really fast, and then the wall pops up and the Coyotie crashes into it.

With Telly in the skit, I am not really sure whether Telly had been obsessed with being around oscar yet (the fifth season of the muppet show was made during his second year on Sesame Street), and I am also not sure if tellys worrywart personality had been develoepd either, but I included those things anyway. Besides, tellys original performer, Brian Meehle, occasionally performed on The Muppet Show during the last season, so it was a way to give him a major role on the show.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
TogetherAgain said:
By the way, the muppets expecting danny devito is similar to how the muppets expected heather locklear to be mean when she was on Muppets Tonight!

BEAR

Reaction score
This was really funny. I especially enjoyed the opening with Pops, where he thinks DeVito would be as mean in person as he is on tv and then is proven wrong, so therefore he foolishly thinks that Oscar would be much nicer than he is on tv...no siree. Wrong. Or as Oscar would say "Ding dong! You're wrong!" Anyway, good outline. Would love to actually have the lines written.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
BEAR said:
I especially enjoyed the opening with Pops, where he thinks DeVito would be as mean in person as he is on tv and then is proven wrong, so therefore he foolishly thinks that Oscar would be much nicer than he is on tv...no siree. Wrong. Or as Oscar would say "Ding dong! You're wrong!"
That's exactly what i would have had oscar say to pops to show that he is just as mean in person as he is on television.

minor muppetz

Reaction score
some dialogue

For those who wanted Dialogue , here are some of those scenes in script form.

here is a script for the cold opening:

(pops is reading when Danny Devito arrives)

Pops: Who are you?

Danny Devito: I'm danny devito, the shows guest star, and I must say that on my show, I work in a cage, I guess they have someone in a cage here too.

Pops: oh, no! (ducks behind his chair) please don't be mean to me!

Danny Devito: I won't be mean to you. I'm not like that jerk I play on television.

Pops: you're not?

danny devito: no, of course not. anyway, heres fifty dollars for you, and after the show I am ordering pizza for the entire staff. (leaves)

Pops: oh, isn't that nice.

(bruno and oscar arrive)

Pops: and who are you?

Oscar: I'm Oscar The grouch, and this is my handler, bruno. Who are you?!

Pops: I'm Pops, the doorman. I guess you're not really mean like you are on television either, are you?

Oscar: Ding Dong! You're wrong!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
backstage scene dialogue

here is some dialogue for the first two backstage scenes.

backstage scene #1:

(the electric mayhem arrive off-stage when they se danny devito)

Danny Devito: hey, it's Dr. Teeth and the Electric mayhem!

Janice: oh, no!

Floyd: he's gonna be mean to us!

Animal: meanie! meanie!

Dr. Teeth: let's get outta here!

Janice: fer sure!

Danny Devito: you're all wrong. i am not really mean. I just play mean on TV.

Zoot: You're not mean?

Danny devito: no.

Lips: that's weird.

Dr. Teeth: you said it, lips.

Lips: yeah, about time i said something.

Danny devito: In fact, I brought some ice cream just for you all.

Animal: Ice cream! ice cream!

Floyd: let's dig in!

Janice: Rully.

Backstage Scene #2:

Oscar: well, this is great. there is chaos everywhere. (crazy harry sets off an explosion, marvin suggs chases the muppaphones, the swedish chef chases the food, and george chases bobby benson with an axe). These people are better than those on sesame street. (lew zeland throws a boomerang fish, Gaffer chases Rizzo, and gonzo hops on a pogo stick). what could go wrong?

(telly arrives)
Telly: hey, oscar, i thought I'd come and see you on stage. it must be fun, huh?

Oscar: oh, no....why me?

TogetherAgain

Reaction score
Heh, that's even more comedic than I imagined it. Thanks for the dialogue, minor muppetz!

minor muppetz

Reaction score
Fozzies Act

here is a script for Fozzies act.

Kermit: and now, ladies and gentlemen, here's Fozzie Bear!

(leaves stage, curtains raise, fozzies opening music plays)

Fozzie Bear: hi ya hi ya hi ya! here i am, Fozzie Bear, and now here is my first joke.

Statler: I hope that is also your last joke .

(statler and waldorf laugh)

Fozzie bear: well, here is a muppet news flash: It just so happens that you two don't bother me anymore. I am used to your heckling.

Waldorf: oh no!

Fozzie Bear: oh, yes, and now, my first joke. Why did the chicken cross the road?

Oscar: (in a trash can on a step nest to the theatre exit door) To get away from this theatre! (oscar laughs, as do statler and waldorf)

Fozzie bear: oh, no. I have gotten used to Statler and waldorf heckling me, but I have never been heckled by a guest star before.

Statler: yes, everything has a first.

(statler and waldorf laugh)

Fozzie Bear: movig right along, a funny thing happened to me on the way to the theatre.

Danny Devito: (from the wrings of the backstage) let me guess. you came. (makes nasty laughter)

Fozzie bear: hey! I thought you weren't mean.

Danny Devito: Oh, I really am a nice guy. I just don't like your jokes.

Oscar: hey, that other guest star isn't so bad.

Fozzie Bear: now, moving right along, why do the first candy bars in the vending machine always taste the best?

Danny Devito: I know! I always eat the first ones.

(danny devito laughs, then statler and waldorf laugh, then oscar laughs. the curtain closes)