Minority Characters

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
You Know, I know It's been mention before here I Spy was banned by some southern affilites when it first came on, also, Peanuts kind of suffered the same fate. They had the leader of the UN on Recently, and I think you could not have a better repersentation of diversity than that and to be fair, Sesame Street also had Hillary Clinton on there show too.

BEAR

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
People (Latin, Hispanic, Asian, Cacasion, African American, Native American, Jewish, Scottish, children, teanagers, adults), Monsters of every color, Grouches, Honkers, Dingers, animals of every kind of species, Snuffleupaguses, death people (Linda), disabled people (Tara), Muppet People(red, rellow, green, ect.). If I'm missing how Sesame Street is not diverse, please feel correct me, or if there there is someone or something I'm left out, feel free to let me know, thank you.

Might want to replace your label for Linda with the word "deaf". Wouldn't want to confuse things. :wink:

BEAR

Reaction score
Even Sesame Street's South African show has a Muppet character with HIV.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
So was Hiroshy and I think Molly.

roosevelt was black

So Was Kingston.
I frogot to mention that Lexine was also Asian.

superfan

Reaction score
I agree that it would be a very good thing to have human characters that represent the East Indian culture. Why not! In Israel and the Palestinian Territories, SS strives to promote tolerance and respect for the two cultures, do they not? So why not the same here? Put religious and political differences aside and teach our children that we can be peaceful and respectful towards people who come from different countries. It sounds so idealistic, but then again, Sesame Street was the result of idealism.
(gosh, I read this and reread it. I hope it makes sense!! :embarrassed: )

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
There is or was a traveling Sesame Street exibit where they tell how event's that happen in the world had an affect on the swow the show, like the cold war, and also how in 1992, 92% of all minority children were waching the show. It's kind of like the reason for the intorduction of Mr. Snuffleupagus to all the adults. In countries all over the world where women have been treated as second class citizens for many years, Seame Street has been working to change that by teaching girls at a young age that they can grow up to be and do anything that a man can do. A similar thing happened on the American show. Sonia Manzano Mentioned that when feminism was in the news, she became a construction worker, and as we know, she did a better job then her boss, BIff.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I've noticed that Sesame Street has probably had more children from middle eastern countries on the show than cast members.

mikebennidict

Reaction score
it's probably hard to include everyone of all kinds on the show meaning a human cast of every kind of race but over the years they have tried there best through films, cartoons etc. so I think they're trying their best. Mr. Rogers used to include Fench with the Make Believe charater Grampare.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
I see what you mean Mike, that would be a pretty dfficult task to try to take on. I guess no matter how much effort you put fourth to try to get something right, not trying to criticize anybody here, but there will always be those who are always somewhat sceptical about it. I could be wrong here, but I guess that's just how the crumbles cookie.

Ilikemuppets

Reaction score
Ilikemuppets said:
You Know, I know It's been mention before here I Spy was banned by some southern affilites when it first came on, also, Peanuts kind of suffered the same fate. They had the leader of the UN on Recently, and I think you could not have a better repersentation of diversity than that and to be fair, Sesame Street also had Hillary Clinton on there show too.[/QUOTE

Big Bird has met 7 First Ladies.